Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Politics vs mlp

SDP40F amtrak

You all made heard of rumors about season 8  causing trouble with politics  first of all I would count that it a tv show for kids but why being butthurt politics complaint about season 8 it never happen to other season 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  but why season 8  what your thoughts about it

I don't anticipate that politics will become all that large a factor within MLP at any point. There are some situations in MLP that could be considered analogous to real life situations, but they won't be the main focus of the stories that are being told. After all, it is a little girl's show. I wouldn't say there won't be references to political situations here and there, but at most they will be subtle, such as 

Spoiler

the parody that the first two episodes make on the general school system and the idea that school boards commonly have that "one size fits all", even though it clearly doesn't, and wresting the control of classes away from the teachers to a board that never even attends said classes.

• Brohoof 2

Can somepony please post an example or two of the politics? I'm confused about this 'racism' charge when there aren't any humans in show and it obviously doesn't take place in our...universe.

7 minutes ago, Mirage said:

I'm confused about this 'racism' charge when there aren't any humans in show and it obviously doesn't take place in our...universe.

The racism charge seems to come from two ideas, one of which existed even before the Season 8 Premiere and the other as a result of it.

The first one that already existed actually comes from the Cutie Map, and it's from people believing that the ponies' spread of friendship is analogous to imperialism, an act that is commonly associated with racism (racism is not always the reason for imperialism in reality, but it's commonly attributed to that mainly in the United States' case; whether or not such a claim is accurate is a debate for another topic). I have argued, and will continue to argue, that the two situations aren't actually analogous to each other at all, because the spreading of friendship is in no way similar to attempting to conquer a nation for political power, but that's generally the gist of why people think that contributes.

As for the Season 8 premiere...

Spoiler

It introduced a pony who was legitimately...well, more speciecist than racist, but the comparison there still exists and it's actually a lot easier to see than the other one. His name is Chancellor Neighsay, and he's skeptical of the idea that ponies can make friends with other species, and that it's better for them to learn to defend themselves against the other nations as a threat. People have taken to seeing this as similar to xenophobia.

The problem here is that he's a character introduced specifically for the season and the main characters clearly disagree with him, so the idea that he could be representative of the writers' actual opinion of other countries is confusing, to say the least.

Edited by Wolfhog
  • Brohoof 3

42 minutes ago, Wolfhog said:

The racism charge seems to come from two ideas, one of which existed even before the Season 8 Premiere and the other as a result of it.

The first one that already existed actually comes from the Cutie Map, and it's from people believing that the ponies' spread of friendship is analogous to imperialism, an act that is commonly associated with racism (racism is not always the reason for imperialism in reality, but it's commonly attributed to that mainly in the United States' case; whether or not such a claim is accurate is a debate for another topic). I have argued, and will continue to argue, that the two situations aren't actually analogous to each other at all, because the spreading of friendship is in no way similar to attempting to conquer a nation for political power, but that's generally the gist of why people think that contributes.

As for the Season 8 premiere...

Hide contents

It introduced a pony who was legitimately...well, more speciecist than racist, but the comparison there still exists and it's actually a lot easier to see than the other one. His name is Chancellor Neighsay, and he's skeptical of the idea that ponies can make friends with other species, and that it's better for them to learn to defend themselves against the other nations as a threat. People have taken to seeing this as similar to xenophobia.

The problem here is that he's a character introduced specifically for the season and the main characters clearly disagree with him, so the idea that he could be representative of the writers' actual opinion of other countries is confusing, to say the least.

So because the writers are doing their job as story tellers and introducing problems and challenging ideas...they're being accused of racism?

47 minutes ago, Mirage said:

So because the writers are doing their job as story tellers and introducing problems and challenging ideas...they're being accused of racism?

I haven’t watched the premier yet but it could be the writers created someone just for the mane 6 to help reform. He’s either going to a one dimensional character or there is a planned arc for him. We’ll have to wait and see.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

Can somepony please post an example or two of the politics? I'm confused about this 'racism' charge when there aren't any humans in show and it obviously doesn't take place in our...universe.

Chancellor Neighsayer is acting hostile towards the students, and referring to them as dangerous. Also he thought that Princess Twilight school is pony exclusive.

ponies from what we've seen are very speciesist, hence their distrust of Zecora at first, their opinion that dragons are lumbering brutes, and have a very hard time coping with anything different from them or their ideology 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

Chancellor Neighsayer is acting hostile towards the students, and referring to them as dangerous. Also he thought that Princess Twilight school is pony exclusive.

Go on...

Just now, kaiser5578 said:

ponies from what we've seen are very speciesist, hence their distrust of Zecora at first, their opinion that dragons are lumbering brutes, and have a very hard time coping with anything different from them or their ideology 

Just like everyone else. Everyone.

exactly, everyone has this problem. its like the middle age relations between china, Europe and the Arabs, and the Africans.

it may not be the ponies fault alone, but they are major contributes and somebody has to take the first step in helping every one else out of the dark and into what is right

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I haven’t watched the premier yet but it could be the writers created someone just for the mane 6 to help reform. He’s either going to a one dimensional character or there is a planned arc for him. We’ll have to wait and see.

Not that sure if he's going to be reformed, but I'm sure he won't be the season finale villain. 

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

Or fascist, homophobic, etc; because SJW logic is you are any, if not all of those if you present ideas that challenge theirs  :dash:

Still, what I could interpret with him is not that he's Trump as I've seen commented in the stream, but rather exposing that racism still exist, and will keep existing. However, I predict it'll lead to a radical element in the supremacists group at the end of the season

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Go on...

The transcript of episode 1/2 season 8
Silverstream: Uh, maybe skipping class wasn't the best idea?
Neighsay: How dare you! This act of aggression against ponies—
Twilight Sparkle: I'm so sorry, Chancellor. We clearly had some students get a little carried away.
Neighsay: Those are students? But you said you were opening this school to protect Equestria! To protect ponies from... dangerous creatures who don't have our best interests at heart!
Twilight Sparkle: My school teaches for all of us to work together through friendship.
Neighsay: Then how do you know these creatures won't take what they have learned here and use it against us?
Twilight Sparkle: Friendship isn't just for ponies!
Neighsay: It should be.
Prince Rutherford: Unicorn thinks yaks no need friendship? Maybe yaks no need pony school!
Neighsay: Well, perhaps you should return to your kind.
Ember: Your kind?! Smolder, let's go!

16 minutes ago, kaiser5578 said:

exactly, everyone has this problem. its like the middle age relations between china, Europe and the Arabs, and the Africans.

it may not be the ponies fault alone, but they are major contributes and somebody has to take the first step in helping every one else out of the dark and into what is right

The ponies do learn. They do evolve in understanding. But here's the difference my friend...

They don't change because someone attacked them or impugned their character over the internet. They don't change because of an ideology. They don't change because they fear what others think. They change because they form a meaningful relationship. That is what is story worthy, and in a big way, that is what should be reality.

4 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:
The transcript of episode 1/2 season 8
Silverstream: Uh, maybe skipping class wasn't the best idea?
Neighsay: How dare you! This act of aggression against ponies—
Twilight Sparkle: I'm so sorry, Chancellor. We clearly had some students get a little carried away.
Neighsay: Those are students? But you said you were opening this school to protect Equestria! To protect ponies from... dangerous creatures who don't have our best interests at heart!
Twilight Sparkle: My school teaches for all of us to work together through friendship.
Neighsay: Then how do you know these creatures won't take what they have learned here and use it against us?
Twilight Sparkle: Friendship isn't just for ponies!
Neighsay: It should be.
Prince Rutherford: Unicorn thinks yaks no need friendship? Maybe yaks no need pony school!
Neighsay: Well, perhaps you should return to your kind.
Ember: Your kind?! Smolder, let's go!

Nothing immoral about that at all. What you have here is a protectionist, and his fears are legitimate. Equestria is not a safe place. That doesn't make him a 'racist', unless he's using those legitimate fears as a disguise of a more nefarious intent. Still, I don't think the writers are promoting this behavior...it's simply natural thinking in a dangerous world.

No person should ever be expected to trust anyone else they don't inherently have a relationship with. No one really does, if they are honest. You trust your family and friends, and that's it (hopefully).

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly considering Fairly OddParents, Harry Potter, and DnD got backlash for depicting "witchcraft", I am shocked that Republicans haven't attacked MLP for the 34 years it has existed.

Unless you aren't a Christian Republican. I rant about politics too much LOL

• Brohoof 1

The premier is obviously more influenced by Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix than the current political climate. Complete with Umbridge, species based racism, and the Ministry of Magic. That all took place in the 90's and was written in the 2000's. 

Not everything is about us. :P

On 3/25/2018 at 1:17 PM, Mirage said:

No person should ever be expected to trust anyone else they don't inherently have a relationship with. No one really does, if they are honest. You trust your family and friends, and that's it (hopefully).

This is why the solution in the episode is rather interesting. It's basically Twilight saying, "You do your thing, I'mma be over here doing my thing." 

• Brohoof 1

I don't want to see any real-life political issues represented in the show. But what I DO want to see is an episode where having different political views can damage relationships. If you have a falling out with a friend over a certain topic, is the relationship worth restoring? Or did it happen because that person was never your friend to begin with?

This happened with me just recently, so I'd be interested to see how something like this would be addressed between the Mane Six, or their extended circle of friends.

• Brohoof 1

There's a difference when you do this                                                                                                                                    and when you do this

5acacee79e103_1454052008469-Kopija.jpg.8405eb2d24cbfd8a9efc8fc2e674a67a.jpg5acad253a2651_HaliHydra-Kopija.jpg.59d9f52e6a2f455d896b1244d7d78ad8.jpg

Elves. We all know they are you know what and it doesn't detract from the story.                        This is just propaganda made by people who do not even want to write engaging characters and stories.

• Brohoof 1

So heavy politics in MLP, absolutely not.

And I'm sorry, I don't consider things like views on racism, or down right bigotry as politics. That's ethics. And that is something that I feel certainly needs to be shown in a way to make kids aware that people do hate others needlessly and how to deal with that sort of negativity, and to teach them not to treat others who are different from them (whether physically, or what have you) horribly. Those are ethics that need to be taught to kids. Tolerance and kindness are always taught in MLP, so I don't feel they will deviate any.