Could MLP stand with the big boys?

ManaMinori

There are many, many heavy hitting successful franchises that are all fighting for attention from the masses. Star Wars,  Mavel, DC, Pokemon, they're all MASSIVE. Can you guys ever see the My Little Pony franchise becoming such a powerhouse?  What would Hasbro have to do in order to have their brand be just as successful and household name such as these? 

• Brohoof 1

No.

Maybe If the franchise started out like this in 02 or something to where people were exposed to it longer,it probably would. 

But a heavy hitter such as Marvel,DC,or Star Wars? Definitely not.

Mlp will sadly be an undercard for a good while

6 minutes ago, Silver Letter said:

MLP doesn't do enough to reach out to people through multimedia. If the franchise made video games, for example, it might increase its appeal to a wider audience.

True as well,but who’s parents would buy their son a video game about ponies with video games such as Loz,Cod,GTA,etc?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Thorgir the Mighty said:

No.

Maybe If the franchise started out like this in 02 or something to where people were exposed to it longer,it probably would. 

But a heavy hitter such as Marvel,DC,or Star Wars? Definitely not.

Mlp will sadly be an undercard for a good while

Pretty much this ^

The only way they stand a chance of growing like that is a good video game, and serious books for an older crowd to expand the universe 

• Brohoof 2

A dark reboot of the show? Just kidding. Those other franchises have different reasons for being successful. They have the wide appeal and marketing.

Star Wars has toys and a million licensed products. Everyone recognizes it even if they are not fans.

Marvel is well known from the comics, and then successful action movies. But the movies are popular because people are aware of the characters from the comics, even if they don't read the comics. 

MLP does not appeal to a wide audience. Most adults are not going to see MLP movies. Video games could help. Hasbro could make board games. But without movie success it won't go big.

Can you imagine a live action MLP? *shudders*

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

True as well,but who’s parents would buy their son a video game about ponies with video games such as Loz,Cod,GTA,etc?

One thing about this, Most gamers are over 18 and thus could buy their own game. Plus if I had kids Id rather they play LoZ or an MLP game then the dreck that is COD or GTA......

Well, Hasbro already makes Star Wars toys along with My Little Pony toys, and neither have been selling very well considering the way the toy market is right now.

https://news.avclub.com/kids-just-arent-buying-star-wars-and-my-little-pony-toy-1824206079

As for Marvel and DC, the comics have done very well for non-Marvel/DC standards, but again, just like with the toys, even their competitors aren't doing very well themselves in that regard because of people not really buying comics anymore.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/comics-sales-down-10-in-2017/

Pokemon toys are actually doing pretty good, but comparing those sales to MLP's would not be fair since MLP doesn't have the luxury of a multibillion-dollar game franchise to support its toyline, just a cartoon series on a little known TV network.

My point? MLP is not very comparable to the "big boys" you mentioned because it's not really meant to compete with them. Like some have already pointed out, it's not a mainstream franchise meant to "appeal to all", it's for a select audience of people. Remember that G4, Friendship is Magic, was an unprecedented success, Hasbro has essentially just been rolling with the gravy train they didn't expect to come in. I think it's good enough that the MLP name has been more recognizable than ever before. Right now, they have a movie that got a theatrical and Blu-ray release, a toyline that's successful for today's standards for toy sales, and a comic series. Obviously, they'd love it if they ever got the opportunity to truly compete with some of the biggest franchises around, but right now, I think they feel they're doing well enough with what they have.

I do agree, however, that an MLP game would be killer. :pinkie:

If Hasbro were to expand they would need something that makes mlp,”different”. Something other than talking pastel ponies and pop culture,something...unique...

Like as the user above said that each franchise has something nothing else had...

Star Wars started off as something new,Yes Star Trek was there but space travel and laser swords where not popular at that time. Star Wars had something different,such as the Force,The Empire And so much more

Marvel was popular,but before the Iron Man film hit theaters,Marvel wasn’t what it is today.

DC...well they have Batman,Superman...hmm...

Hasbro has Transformers whom are popular (but not as good as the original) among children and some adults. They also have talking ponies.

If Hasbro where to go big time they’d have to do something that NO ONE would ever think of...and that...I don’t know...

*Idk why but imagined my voice as Batman’s while reading this*

23 minutes ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

If Hasbro were to expand they would need something that makes mlp,”different”. Something other than talking pastel ponies and pop culture,something...unique...

Like as the user above said that each franchise has something nothing else had...

Star Wars started off as something new,Yes Star Trek was there but space travel and laser swords where not popular at that time. Star Wars had something different,such as the Force,The Empire And so much more

Marvel was popular,but before the Iron Man film hit theaters,Marvel wasn’t what it is today.

DC...well they have Batman,Superman...hmm...

Hasbro has Transformers whom are popular (but not as good as the original) among children and some adults. They also have talking ponies.

If Hasbro where to go big time they’d have to do something that NO ONE would ever think of...and that...I don’t know...

*Idk why but imagined my voice as Batman’s while reading this*

Cause batman is frisking amazing 

come on dude you can make a stronger argument for DC then that! ( most of marvels copycat charaters stem from DC ie. Black cat and Catwoman and Deadpool and Deathstroke)

I think Hasbro could make an app and have MLP become like Pokémon go or angry birds style.

1 minute ago, woodchunks66 said:

Cause batman is frisking amazing 

come on dude you can make a stronger argument for DC then that! ( most of marvels copycat charaters stem from DC ie. Black cat and Catwoman and Deadpool and Deathstroke)

I think Hasbro could make an app and have MLP become like Pokémon go or angry birds style.

1. Indeed he is

2. Sorry,the DCEU films suck and I can’t really think of anything that DC has impressed me with other than DCAU and cartoons.

3. That’s copyright

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Thorgir the Mighty said:

3. That’s copyright

That is not correct. You cant copyright a game format. You can copyright the characters or trademark the characters and name for particular goods. But not what amounts to a product model. That would be like saying Toyota and Ford are infringing on each other because each makes a sedan.; I mean look at the MLP card game its a Yugio or Magic the Gathering clone even if it is fun as all get out. 

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Jedishy said:

That is not correct. You cant copyright a game format. You can copyright the characters or trademark the characters and name for particular goods. But not what amounts to a product model. That would be like saying Toyota and Ford are infringing on each other because each makes a sedan.; I mean look at the MLP card game its a Yugio or Magic the Gathering clone even if it is fun as all get out. 

Itheres a mlp card game?

10 minutes ago, woodchunks66 said:

yeah but it never picked up any hype

And this right here is a shame. Hasbro is the parent company of Wizards of the Coast. Seriously missed opportunity to create some decent Pony Fantast style games. The closest we got to this was an April Fool's joke here back in 2006. 

Can you imagine a proper D&D inspired FiM table top? 

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, Jeric said:

And this right here is a shame. Hasbro is the parent company of Wizards of the Coast. Seriously missed opportunity to create some decent Pony Fantast style games. The closest we got to this was an April Fool's joke here back in 2006. 

Can you imagine a proper D&D inspired FiM table top? 

You roll a 20...Pinkies party cannon does critical damage....

yeah, that could be fun:catface:

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

A dark reboot of the show? Just kidding. Those other franchises have different reasons for being successful. They have the wide appeal and marketing.

Star Wars has toys and a million licensed products. Everyone recognizes it even if they are not fans.

Marvel is well known from the comics, and then successful action movies. But the movies are popular because people are aware of the characters from the comics, even if they don't read the comics. 

MLP does not appeal to a wide audience. Most adults are not going to see MLP movies. Video games could help. Hasbro could make board games. But without movie success it won't go big.

Can you imagine a live action MLP? *shudders*

A live action mlp heck no it  would be disaster and cringey just imagine seeing real life horse with cgi horns wings and colors and wierd cutie mark I really glad it never happened 

• Brohoof 1

At first, I thought no. I thought this was a niche fandom/community. Seeing as how some heavy Holloywood Hitters like Patton Oswald, Weird Al, and that one girl with the Lauren Hill hair, lent their voices to the show it has some juice in it still. Plus the fact some A list celebrities have said they are Bronies help. I think the main reason some people dislike or try to ignore the Brony community is because its because more and more prevalent.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:10 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

There are many, many heavy hitting successful franchises that are all fighting for attention from the masses. Star Wars,  Mavel, DC, Pokemon, they're all MASSIVE. Can you guys ever see the My Little Pony franchise becoming such a powerhouse?  What would Hasbro have to do in order to have their brand be just as successful and household name such as these? 

Doubtful, the ones above are more attractive to the masses because it it much more Mature and not Junior Base. Heck even Disney (Barf) Princess are bigger than MLP. Batman Is Epic. Star Wars is Garbage. I like MLP over Star Wars Any day.  However I got my own Secret Plans to Come out with my Own Creative Franchise. Its in Work in Progress Mode. For a much more Mature Audience.

I asked my 15 year old which one she likes better Pokemon or MLP, she laughed at me. "'Said Noting Beats Pokemon.'' When i asked her which designs she liked best ''MLP or the ones I created,'' She said she like my Designs Way better.

My younger girls Rather watch Timmy Turner With his Fairly Odd Parents and Pokemon; MLP boring.

My oldest loves Pinkie pie however she loves Hello Kitty too. than again she has a long term disability, mind of a very young child in an adult body.

The only reason we play MLP in this house is because my 6 year old still likes it. However he likes the earlier shows and has no intrest in the new ones. However his Favourite show is Jake the Neverland Pirates.

To be honest I rather watch Pinkie Dinky Doo, Circle Square, Mr Dressup, the Fairly Odd Parents, Everything Batman, cant Wait for Season 4 of Gotham that Series is Epic, I Love it. I even own the origional Batman cartoon series i use to watch when i was a kid. i Love it.

EVEN TMNT is Huge Compared to MLP.. I own the original cartoon series the 2012 reboot was epic until the went off the rails, hope they will improve.

MLP is more Junior base, however im in process of creating some thing far more to a broader range of audience.  its a work in progress. New Franchise on the horison.

More like novels in a series.

coloring books, only to Protect my Illustration under My Trademark, yes i just finished my Logo design and trademark Name. Its Hush Hush, Copyright in the process, Trademark is my Next move. 

many of my charecters Got Redo on their Designs.

once they take off and do well, make move to team up with entertainment industry to bring the stories to the big and small screens around the world .

Do not get me wrong Hasbro's MLP franchise has great potentual, they can become big, however they need to get out of junior market, and put it into the mature market. to do this, when you look at the age groups there are far more adults than children in the world. If the can do this with Transformers they can Do it with MLP too.

so far they have no competion for MLP franchise, however that will change when I start publishing my creation ;)

• 1 month later...

Maybe, if its gets picked up by infamous movie director (explosions), and then gets extremely controversial for its CGI. Okay, I am just joking, I am not sure I can imagine MLP having the same cult following as other media giants.

Edited by R.D.Dash