Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More Pony animators should use free/open source software

Plonkett

I know I made a thread about Opentoonz, but this one applies to all free software. Not only is there Opentoonz for 2d animation, but also Krita for backgrounds, Blender for 3d graphics, Fusion (the free version) and Natron for compositing, and Storyboarder for storyboards/animatics. Using all these programs together, you could make something truly remarkable. I know Blender has been used numerous times by the fandom, but those were for purely 3d animations. It could also be used for accompanying your 2d animations in OT.

These programs would be perfect for animators who are on a budget.

• Brohoof 2

@vgmaster9 since this topic is discussing the tools available for fandom animation I'm going to move to the to resources section of video art in Octavia's Hall. 

(edited)

I was going to start learning animation so i might give them a try. Which one is for the 2D frame-by-frame kind?

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

I was going to start learning animation so i might give them a try. Which one is for the 2D frame-by-frame kind?

Opentoonz does both frame by frame and rigging. The rigging is said to be better than Flash/Animate CC, while the frame by frame is said to be even better than Toon Boom Harmony.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lord Valtasar said:

Great. Thanks       .

Also, if you want to do animations that last just a few seconds, Krita is very well worth getting. It has frame by frame animation tools as well.

• Brohoof 1

I use blender and gimp, but I don't remember when was the time I made my last drawing.

Spoiler

There is no violence in this despite to it's name

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For video editing, Shotcut, Davinci Resolve, and Hitfilm 4 Express are supposed to be pretty good. I'd recommend Lightworks as well if the limitations compared to the commercial version weren't so severe, just as 720p being the maximum resolution.

Of course, there's Audacity for audio editing.

Edited by vgmaster9

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...