Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 8's writers are neglecting Starlight

FirePuppy

9 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

By the looks of it, it seems like the writers of Season 8 are cheating on Starlight Glimmer. For what I know, we didn't see her in Yakity Sax, Non Compete Clause, Fake It Til You Make It, or even in, along with Pinkie, The Hearth's Warming Club!

She did have a cameo in "Fake It Til You Make It" in the beginning montage (note that she also had students behind her so that's probably what she was doing when the rest went off for Fluttershy).

She wasn't in "Non-Complete Clause" because that was a teacher's meeting with a teaching reward and she's not a teacher. However she is part of the school staff hence her inclusion in "Horse Play" as it's a school sanctioned event.

In "The Hearth's Warming Club" while yes she could have had a cameo in the opening crowd, she does literally live right next door so she probably just went home early.

Finally "Yakity Sax" is the one you may have a argument for. She is Pinkie's friend and I was a little disappointed she wasn't at the Pinkie appreciation party but who knows this can easily be hand waved as happening during "On the Road to Friendship" (besides Spike didn't join them either and was only around for the party scene).

Now if you want to talk logistics and data you would see Starlight is actual on the same track as Season 7 in appearances.

4 in the first half (Celestial Adice, All Bottled Up, Rock Solid Friendship, Royal Problem) and 7 in the second half (Fame and Misfortune, Triple Threat, To Change a Changeling, It Isn't The Mane Thing About You, Uncommon Bond, Shadow Play 1&2) so 11 total is the same so far with Season 8

7 in the first half (School Daze 1&2, Maud Couple, Horse Play, Parent Map, Marks for Effort, Mean 6) and at least 4 in the second half (Matter of Principals, On the Road to Friendship, and most likely a role in both parts of the finale) so also 11 total any other appearances would be supplementary.

Also considering she has less appearances this season where she can be accused of being a replacement or written out (Fame and Misfortune, It Isn't the Mane Thing About You) the closest being "Horse Play" but like I said she was part of staff who were all there and added to the group dynamic well even if she physically didn't add much.

In conclusion, no, the writers and show runners are treating her character just fine.

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, KH7672 said:

She did have a cameo in "Fake It Til You Make It" in the beginning montage (note that she also had students behind her so that's probably what she was doing when the rest went off for Fluttershy).

She wasn't in "Non-Complete Clause" because that was a teacher's meeting with a teaching reward and she's not a teacher. However she is part of the school staff hence her inclusion in "Horse Play" as it's a school sanctioned event.

In "The Hearth's Warming Club" while yes she could have had a cameo in the opening crowd, she does literally live right next door so she probably just went home early.

Finally "Yakity Sax" is the one you may have a argument for. She is Pinkie's friend and I was a little disappointed she wasn't at the Pinkie appreciation party but who knows this can easily be hand waved as happening during "On the Road to Friendship" (besides Spike didn't join them either and was only around for the party scene).

Now if you want to talk logistics and data you would see Starlight is actual on the same track as Season 7 in appearances.

4 in the first half (Celestial Adice, All Bottled Up, Rock Solid Friendship, Royal Problem) and 7 in the second half (Fame and Misfortune, Triple Threat, To Change a Changeling, It Isn't The Mane Thing About You, Uncommon Bond, Shadow Play 1&2) so 11 total is the same so far with Season 8

7 in the first half (School Daze 1&2, Maud Couple, Horse Play, Parent Map, Marks for Effort, Mean 6) and at least 4 in the second half (Matter of Principals, On the Road to Friendship, and most likely a role in both parts of the finale) so also 11 total any other appearances would be supplementary.

Also considering she has less appearances this season where she can be accused of being a replacement or written out (Fame and Misfortune, It Isn't the Mane Thing About You) the closest being "Horse Play" but like I said she was part of staff who were all there and added to the group dynamic well even if she physically didn't add much.

In conclusion, no, the writers and show runners are treating her character just fine.

Hope so. But next (and final) season, more Pinkie than Starlight is what I'm expecting. Not that I want less of Starlight, but Pinkie just isn't getting much attention lately.

4 hours ago, Kadeda said:

Are you kidding? Starlight been all over season 8.

Except not as much as last season.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Kadeda said:

Are you kidding? Starlight been all over season 8. What are you even talking about?

This is true. In fact, we've just had an episode(A Matter of Principals) recently where Starlight had been a leading focus.

41 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Except not as much as last season.

This season isn't even over yet and she's still scheduled for more episodes, just because she's not being shoved in every other episode doesn't mean she's being neglected. I find this mentality weird considering Starlight has appeared often in this season.

1 hour ago, RulesofRarity said:

This is true. In fact, we've just had an episode(A Matter of Principals) recently where Starlight had been a leading focus.

This season isn't even over yet and she's still scheduled for more episodes, just because she's not being shoved in every other episode doesn't mean she's being neglected. I find this mentality weird considering Starlight has appeared often in this season.

Just ONE more this season, according to calculations.

46 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Which is absolutely fine... You do realize that this season has a ton more characters than last season right? Starlight is not even a main character. I'm actually surprised she gets as much focus as she does.

8 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

The thing I don't understand about this that there has been many good episodes with her in it. As @RulesofRarity has stated that there was an episode recently that was focused on her completely. I haven't noticed any neglect for her in this season to be honestly.

• Brohoof 3

Starlight appears less than other seasons?! She may be getting less screentimes but no less appearance even she isnt the focus of this season (so far). She is just goddamn awesome whenever she appear on screen this season, compare to her mostly non-existence in season 6, this season is great. This season just has TOO MANY characters already and 6 new characters need to focus, and i am glad my Glimmy still has enough appearances and awesome as ever.:P 

Quanity is overrated.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Starlight appears less than other seasons?! She may be getting less screentimes but no less appearance even she isnt the focus of this season (so far). She is just goddamn awesome whenever she appear on screen this season, compare to her mostly non-existence in season 6, this season is great. This season just has TOO MANY characters already and 6 new characters need to focus, and i am glad my Glimmy still has enough appearances and awesome as ever.:P 

Quanity is overrated.

6 new characters that still have yet to learn much about friendship! That's why for the final season, they can still use some roles in episodes focusing on somepony besides Twilight, Spike, Rainbow, Applejack, Rarity, Starlight, or the CMCs.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say that reading this was like reading a spicy comedy, but let's take to the known facts (I stated them somewhere else also):

Season 6: Starlight Glimmer appears as a main character in 30% all episodes,
Season 7: Starlight appears in 42% of episodes,
Season 8 (1st half): 53%

As a source I send you to http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Starlight_Glimmer so it's not like I'm talking just for talking.

If episodes for you aren't enough, then you can read fanfictions, make drawings, comics, etc.
Or be like me and make headcanons/imaginary episodes. It really helps with my mind to not get crazy in all chaos.

• Brohoof 3

This has been a problem with Starlight Glimmer since day one: she doesn't get enough screentime for the writers to flesh her out. Her introduction in the Season 5 premiere was excellent and gave us a good idea of who she was, but then she went and disappeared for the rest of the season. She was brought back in the finale, but Starlight's story took a backseat to the alternate timelines. What we got was a disappointing backstory that made Starlight come off as a petty womanchild who was throwing an extended temper tantrum. Instead of expanding upon Starlight's character and motivations, her backstory did the opposite. We never learned how she became skilled enough at magic to hold her own against the Princess of Friendship, nor did we learn how she discovered the Cutie Mark removal spell.

Fast forward to Season 6. I'd hoped the writers would expand upon Starlight's backstory and character beyond what we'd been told in the Season 5 finale, but I was sorely disappointed. While Starlight played a central role in both the premiere and finale of Season 6, only two episodes focused on Starlight: No Second Prances and Every Little Thing She Does. She appeared in Spice Up Your Life and The Times They Are a Changeling, but neither of those episodes focused on her ongoing reformation or expanded upon her character. While Starlight did play a major role in A Hearth's Warming Tail, that episode was focused on the story of Snowfall Frost, not Starlight Glimmer. Starlight's redemption should've been a season-long arc that involved her interacting with and learning friendship lessons alongside each of the Mane Six, as well as exploring her past. Because of this, Starlight being thrust into a leading role in the season finale felt awkward because she'd received so little screentime during the rest of the season.

In Season 7, she was the focus of All Bottled Up, A Royal Problem, To Change a Changeling and An Uncommon Bond. She also played a major role in the finale as well as Rock Solid Friendship and Celestial Advice, though the latter were Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle episodes, respectively. So far in Season 8, Starlight has been the focus of The Parent Map, A Matter of Principals and On The Road to Friendship and has played supporting roles in the premiere, The Mean 6 and Marks For Effort. Though Starlight hasn't received as much screentime as I would've liked, I think the episodes she's starred in this season have been excellent. However, I also believe Starlight's character and development will always be hindered by the fact FiM is the Mane Six's show and not hers. While I'm not the biggest fan of Equestria Girls, I'll give the writers credit for integrating Sunset Shimmer into the main cast instead of pushing her to the side like FiM has done with Starlight Glimmer. If Starlight had been integrated into the main cast like Sunset was in Equestria Girls, I think she'd be a stronger character overall and less of a base breaker.

Edited by Aurora Glimmer
  • Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, Iam said:

I must say that reading this was like reading a spicy comedy, but let's take to the known facts (I stated them somewhere else also):

Season 6: Starlight Glimmer appears as a main character in 30% all episodes,
Season 7: Starlight appears in 42% of episodes,
Season 8 (1st half): 53%

As a source I send you to http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Starlight_Glimmer so it's not like I'm talking just for talking.

If episodes for you aren't enough, then you can read fanfictions, make drawings, comics, etc.
Or be like me and make headcanons/imaginary episodes. It really helps with my mind to not get crazy in all chaos.

Yeah, Starlight's played a bigger role in Seasons 7 and 8 than she did in Season 6. It's a shame, because Season 6 should've been when we got to know Starlight Glimmer. Better late then never, I suppose.

Edited by Aurora Glimmer
  • Brohoof 2

It's difficult to argue with the role and % of appearance and it's nonsense, if we would set a standard, that if character is introduced, it should be showed much, but, in case of poor Starlight, it wasn't. Now it's difficult to judge her character without margin an error.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Iam said:

It's difficult to argue with the role and % of appearance and it's nonsense, if we would set a standard, that if character is introduced, it should be showed much, but, in case of poor Starlight, it wasn't. Now it's difficult to judge her character without margin an error.

It's unfortunate, because I think a lot of the problems people have with Starlight Glimmer would've been solved if she'd been given more screentime in Season 6. Again, look at Sunset Shimmer: part of the reason Sunset's redemption has worked so well is that she's had enough screentime to be fleshed out and actually is a seventh main character. For all the accusations people make about Starlight taking over the show, she has surprisingly few episodes focused on her for a supposed new main character.

Edited by Aurora Glimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Aurora Glimmer said:

(...) look at Sunset Shimmer. Part of the reason Sunset's redemption has worked so well is that she's had enough screentime to be fleshed out as a character.

Exactly. In present state it's now better to make a bit alternated Starlight with a little push to your wishes, because... uh... I dunno why, but every single time when I'm watching Starlight on the show (or rather watched), I was either crying inside, crying outside or laughing inside or outside. No other things, only an eventual mixture of it.

In alternate world with my imaginary episodes however I respect Starlight in every situation, heh, in that "Ask (...) StarTrix" I have much more seriousness, than in show... maybe because I have impact on what Starlight will do... Anyway, I clearly state, that (as of now, 25th of August), Starlight is not greatly missing in the show, according to Season 7 and first half od 8.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Iam said:

Exactly. In present state it's now better to make a bit alternated Starlight with a little push to your wishes, because... uh... I dunno why, but every single time when I'm watching Starlight on the show (or rather watched), I was either crying inside, crying outside or laughing inside or outside. No other things, only an eventual mixture of it.

In alternate world with my imaginary episodes however I respect Starlight in every situation, heh, in that "Ask (...) StarTrix" I have much more seriousness, than in show... maybe because I have impact on what Starlight will do... Anyway, I clearly state, that (as of now, 25th of August), Starlight is not greatly missing in the show, according to Season 7 and first half od 8.

That's kind've what I've been doing. Part of the reason Starlight's grown on me is that I started roleplaying as an alternate version of her in the MLP roleplays I do with a friend.

• Brohoof 1