Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice for writing dialogue?

Mysterycat

Hi there! I've noticed that some MLP fanfictions make the ponies sound like parodies of themselves and I want to avoid that, but I'd like some advice.

1. Does Rainbow Dash really say, "20% cooler" a lot? B) I know she talks about things being cool/awesome/radical (and maintains that those concepts are different, LOL :laugh:), but I only recall her saying that something was "20% cooler" once.
  2. People often write the Apples' dialogue with a phonetic accent (writing "Ah" instead of "I" for example). I find that tough to read, so I don't do it (and I can easily imagine their voices easily), but what are your thoughts? Also, what sort of exclamations does she use?
  3. People seem to write Luna's dialogue as though she speaks in the Royal Canterlot Voice all the time, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't. I haven't paid much attention, but does she ever speak in the Royal Canterlot Voice? Does she ever use Shakespearean even when speaking at a normal volume?
  4. I noticed that Rarity seems to be quite affectionate in her language :grin: (she says, "Fluttershy, sweetness, come down from there" in "Bats!" and "We're not going to judge you, darling" in "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" for example). How do I write that without making it seem like I'm making fun of her? Also, how do I write scenes where she's being dramatic without making it seem like a parody?

I never liked the accent's, so I would just suggest that countryisms like "Howdy" or "y'all"  should be kept and the rest should be kept to imagination

For me at least whenever I hear Rarity talking I always hear "darling" mixed in into the speech. Maybe not that often in the actual show.

Rainbow Dash can get to those extremes with the movie being a good example of her going all the way, and she basically looses all of the self control.

Luna stopped speaking in the Royal Canterlot voice in a quite awhile ago, as well as she have no actual reason to speak Shakespearean anymore

Edited by R.D.Dash

• 10 months later...

I heard that many fan fiction are already recruiting people to work in order to become more popular and earn money on it. Therefore, many people want to cv editing. To get a job in fanfic, they try to enjoy employers. Therefore, resume writing and editing services are becoming more and more popular. I think this is very good as the opportunities for work are expanding. So more such resume writing services are needed.