Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why are romantic relationships way more likely to end than platonic relationships are?

AlicornSpell

That platonic relationships last longer might not be entirely true.  We are generally a lot more aware of romantic relationships ending around us because when a couple breaks up it might be loud, messy and involve a lot of crying, bitterness and so on, it may involve one party having to move to another home (assuming they were living together) so it's not something that can be easily concealed or that can pass by unnoticed.  Platonic relationships on the other hand don't fall apart quite so spectacularly, friends are more likely to just drift apart, see each other less and less then eventually not at all.  You might not even realise that a friendship has run its course until long after the fact.

That being said, romantic relationships require much more investment (emotionally speaking) and are much higher maintenance.  If that relationship breaks down for whatever reason it can be very hard to dial that relation back to being 'just good friends', especially if the break up was not the mutual will of both partners.  For example, a platonic friendship can survive things like prolonged separation because you aren't used to that person being close by all the time anyway, whereas with a partner it can be more painful to be separated for too long than it would be to simply call it quits.

Think of a romantic relationship as a complex machine, with a lot of moving parts and a lot that can go wrong, and any one of those faults can potentially be enough to stop the whole thing from working.  A friendship on the other hand is much simpler and can keep chugging along for years with minimal maintenance.

• Brohoof 4

That which is personal entails more complexity than the ideal. To think of a tree is instantaneous, to make a real tree grow requires hard labor. This difficulty has an inherent threshold of failure, but even in failure there is learning. So, no endeavor is ever fruitless in the grand scheme.

Te learning or catalytic experience of personal relationships is exponentially bigger than the platonic, since you will be brought into yourself by this other self in a personal manner. In there lays the confrontation that is but a mere reflection of ourselves, one truer than any platonic relationship could ever achieve.

The platonic is built around the subconscious. That which people don't want to see about themselves. The personal is the opposite.

• Brohoof 1

A relationship between two complicated individuals is, in itself, a complicated matter. It really doesn't matter if it's romantic or platonic; they both can end in similar ways IF they do end. Of course we're more familiar with breakups between those whom are romantically involved, but even very close friends can end in similar ways.

Tis human.

• Brohoof 1

Romantic relationships are built on flimsier ground than platonic ones because the concept of romance nowadays is invariably based on fleeting physical gratification. And fewer people realize that romantic relationships are more than that, and require a more selfless attitude. Platonic relationships, having fewer and less complicated requirements, don't provide as many challenges. Hence platonic is more likely to go the distance.

• Brohoof 3

It feels like people are rushing romantic relations these days which i think is a shame since i dont really think they are something that should be rushed.

And that rush might be one reason why they end so abruptly people just aren't ready yet but they still try to rush it and then it turns out later that it didn't work out between them afterall

• Brohoof 2

I see three potential reasons why this could be the case, and frankly, at least one of the people in the relationship are to blame in any of the cases.

1. The relationship was rushed. I'be been through a relationship like this, and it's better to take your time with it.
  2. The pair was not ready for that sort of relationship. I mean in the sense that they go in unprepared for the whole thing.
  3. Somebody got jealous. This ends relationships like these all the time. One person thinks that the other person even talking to someone else must be indicative of an affair... 

It has to be observed on a case by case basis. Familial relationships can end too. Just saying. I've written off three relatives, so I've had no problem shutting a "platonic friend" out of my life. Then again, no crazy-assed libtard can ever have a platonic relationship with me, let alone a romantic one.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan

• 4 weeks later...

because most people don't realize they have to find THE one person who is right for them, a lot of the time people just look for someone to have sex with and don't even consider anything else and because of that they are not prepared for the complications that are involved in a romantic relationship

8 minutes ago, Creepermin3 said:

a lot of the time people just look for someone to have sex with and don't even consider anything else and because of that they are not prepared for the complications that are involved in a romantic relationship

There's also the people who don't know these things called open relationships exist... 

• 5 months later...

I think because romantic relationships require more...investment, is the word. And sometimes, one person in a romantic relationship might realize they're not ready for said investment and commitment, and they just might feel rushed. :mlp_wat:

In platonic relationships, it's easier cause things are more...relaxed, I guess. 

For myself at least, I’d be better off with just friendships, they’re easier. Romantic relationships are just not my cup of tea. 

But, you know, I’m just speaking from personal experience. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt