Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should MLP have Disney levels of detail?

ManaMinori

While Frozen 2 is being hyped and all the rage, I want to talk about something I noticed in it and whether it should be implemented in MLP. And that is- the level of detail. I get that it's unlikely to produce for a tv show, given that budget to do so consistently across the full season is impossible, but for big theatrical movies? Most definitely. Now, don't get me wrong, MLP the movie (2017) had been given a lot more detail than its series, which I appreciate, but can you guys ever see the level of detail being brought to MLP, that puts it on the same stage as Disney's "Frozen" franchise? (seriously, it's just frikin mindblowing! Go look at the trailers!) Is MLP's franchise as a whole made for such level of detail?

tumblr_pmvmmeeU7A1tb8alro5_r1_1280.thumb.jpg.3f7051591fa58d9129ac4a8580e2a02f.jpg

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

I personally like the show's style of animation more for the kids and its uniqueness. The 2017 movie is definitely beautiful though. I would love to see what amazing detail could be implemented in an MLP movie. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Iris Flower said:

I personally like the show's style of animation more for the kids and its uniqueness. The 2017 movie is definitely beautiful though. I would love to see what amazing detail could be implemented in an MLP movie. 

again, as I stated in the op, I wasn't addressing the topic of the show.

but as for Disney- Hasbro is no stranger to collaborations with their company (though arguably, it was the toyline of g3, some years ago). Could you see them loaning their IP over to Disney, for such a high quality movie, if Hasbro's own studios aren't capable of this level of detail? (sorry DHX)

Just now, Nightmare Muffin said:

again, as I stated in the op, I wasn't addressing the topic of the show.

but as for Disney- Hasbro is no stranger to collaborations with their company (though arguably, it was the toyline of g3, some years ago). Could you see them loaning their IP over to Disney, for such a high quality movie, if Hasbro's own studios aren't capable of this level of detail? (sorry DHX)

I think they could get to toonboom levels (as in, the movie) for a series, but would up the production cost a bit - one of the nice things about MLP is that they don't need it though, the storytelling carries the show and the flash style of animation is just the style it is drawn in. Toonboom would make it prettier, but I would rather have a good story in flash than a really pretty but bland show.

I think G4’s pony design's identity is their déformé style where they got rid of the details and kept them simple. It works for that. (imagine if The Simpsons tries to have a detailed look) If the show tries a new style, it would be interesting, but they have to be very careful.

I think classic Desney's hand drawn art style would work for the warm fuzzy cute ponies, but I'm mot so sure about the 3D art style. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

The art style for the ponies is what makes them identifiable and it's part of their visual signature. I don't mind if they want to add detail, like with the MLP Movie, or even take it a little further than that. But I wouldn't want them to change their style completely in their effort to add detail to what should be a clean simplified look anyway. Frozen is a different style and medium that lends itself well to hyper-detailing. It looks good for what it is, but I don't think the same look would work equally well with every kind of toon. 

• 1 year later...