Nvidia vs. AMD

Mach33

Nvidia vs AMD  

8 users have voted

1. 1. Which one would you prefer?

• Nvidia
    • AMD

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2019-03-30 at 08:27 AM

Whichever one has the better price for the build I’m currently working on, assuming I have specific specs in mind. AMD is usually cheaper, but my laptop has an Nvidia. Either way, I don’t really care. I honestly find brand loyalty a little silly.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, if you asked me 5 years ago, I'd say Nvidia all the way.

Now though... While Nvidia gets better performance, I can't say I agree with their latest business practices...

I don't necessarily have a preference. I just go with whatever is more cost efficient and leave it that. I have more experience with AMD than Nvidia, so I'll give it my vote.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:58 AM, Key Sharkz said:

Wow, if you asked me 5 years ago, I'd say Nvidia all the way.

Now though... While Nvidia gets better performance, I can't say I agree with their latest business practices...

“Latest business practices”?  Wait, what have they been doing?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Thuja said:

“Latest business practices”?  Wait, what have they been doing?

A lot, such as they were forced to give refunds to users for lying about the specs of one of their cards, they have jacked the prices up despite negligible performance increases, trying to cheat benchmarks, And shipping cards with insanely high failure rates.

Whichever one gives me the least amount of trouble! I went with an AMD card in the PC I have right now and the game I bought the darn PC for couldn't even read the thing. Makes me think I should have gone with a comparable Nvidia. But I have no real preference between the two. It's like a car to me, I don't care about any details of a car aside from it working properly.

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

A lot, such as they were forced to give refunds to users for lying about the specs of one of their cards, they have jacked the prices up despite negligible performance increases, trying to cheat benchmarks, And shipping cards with insanely high failure rates.

Really??  Well that’s no good, might have to switch to amd for my next build!

4 hours ago, Bas said:

TBH that sounds more it is the fault of the game possibly and not the manufacturer. Albeit on-rethinking...it is hard to say which of the two failed here, as the problem could lie anywhere.

Yeah, it was the game. AMD cards could have been read by the game, too, they just would have had to have been older. But the reason I think Nvidia would have been a better choice is because I know Nvidia has an FPS limiter built into the program that you can turn on. AMD had nothing of the sort, and I had to download a separate program to do it.

As I said, that's the only way I can really form an opinion over video card brands. To me, they just are. I don't know enough about them to make a really educated opinion, and to be honest, I don't care enough to know enough. lol

For GPUs, probably Nvidia.

For CPUs, I would still have to say AMD for many reasons.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:36 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

What's wrong with my 6 year old Intel HD Graphics 4400 ?

pic.php.jpg

I think I just went back in time by seeing that image. Whoa. :lostit:

I'd like to try AMD. I got the 1050 Ti I have now on the end of the Bitcoin mining craze, and since AMD cards were the more expensive of the bunch, I went with the lower tier.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I don't believe I've used either one...:sealed:

I mean, the only two graphics card companies out there are AMD, Nvidia, and Intel (which only do integrated graphics at this moment).

So if you have some kind of gaming computer, there is a good chance you've used one of them. :squee:

Anyways, I have no preference. I'm using a GTX 1060 in my computer right now and it has served me quite well.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I mean, the only two graphics card companies out there are AMD, Nvidia, and Intel (which only do integrated graphics at this moment).

So if you have some kind of gaming computer, there is a good chance you've used one of them. :squee:

Oh, heh, right. :twismile: My knowledge of computers is...low, as you can tell. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Lucky Bolt said:

Oh, heh, right. :twismile: My knowledge of computers is...low, as you can tell. 

That is quite right. That is what I'm here for. :mlp_smug:

Just kidding though. :)

• 8 months later...

Oh, this is a difficult choice. ATI has always been very accurate when it comes to Windows graphics, and 2D acceleration and effects. While the 3D is somewhat slightly slower, it has always been about accuracy for Direct3D stuff. Legancy has always been key to ATI since the start. But when it comes to speed and raw power, Nvidia cannot be beaten. Nvidia is not as good as legacy and the VGA graphics from older days of PCs really suck and are slow, Windows graphics is somewhat good, but there are areas in the 2D acceleration that have been buggy and never fixed (lazy stuff). Nvidia is the best when it comes to 3D performance, and accuracy is difficult to measure. I am hoping the Nvidia isn't just making 3D faster and skipping out on rules (how the 3D looks compared to others).