Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm speaking in the context of the Friendship is Magic canon, does Twilight have the potential to turn into a villain like Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker? Since Luna, Celestia, and Twilight have been rulers of Equestria, have flowing manes, are taller than the average pony, are alicorns, and have the responsibility of raising the sun and moon, is seems likely that Twilight would also have a potential evil alternate form like Celestia and Luna. Twilight's evil alternate form could be similar to Daybreak in the sense that she didn't become a reality but her potential to become a reality was there as seen in Starlight's dream.

• Brohoof 1

Most likely it would be Midnight Sparkle since we seen her human counterpart got turned into that in the 3rd EQG movie.
So pretty much she would be a pony form of that if she fell into darkness/corruption or gone crazy.

• Brohoof 2

While human Twilight and pony Twilight have many similarities, they have very different backgrounds, especially in terms of responsibilities and certain motivations.

Twilight has been shown to not be perfect, as much as we love her. She is obsessive, can hold a grudge, and won't always make the right decision if there isn't someone to play devil's advocate to her decision making. If surrounded by yes-ponies, then she'd simply do whatever she felt like. Under the right circumstances, she could very much have become the sort of pony who follows the ends justify the means mentality, and maintain order at all costs. Picture something like Starlight's out town, but for the whole nation and instead of erasing cutie marks, putting ponies talents to their maximum efficient output. They may not want to work as hard and be wanting to try new things, but that goes against the order and against what's best for pony kind. Having the best intentions, she could ultimately become a ruthless dictator.

Less of an alternate form, and more of a darker path.

large.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

We had midnight sparkle in the equestria girls so that must count for something. If you don't count it then there are no other canon alter egos to her, although mean twilight(from the mean 6) is the evil version of twilight. 

Good question.  I always wanted to believe that the Sisters were unique--special and different even among alicorns.  I still really want that to be the case, as I think many fans did, but the finale seems to point more towards them just being alicorns like any other, and that Twilight is the same as them.  Is the evil alter ego a feature of all alicorns?  I really don't know.  I'm not sure we have enough evidence to say.  Luna was the only one who ever did that.  Celestia's evil side only existed in Starlight's dream.  We kind assumed that Celestia's could turn into Daybreaker if she wanted to, or went cuckoo for Coco Puffs, but that's a logical fallacy.  We can't say for sure.  It may well be the case, but all we saw was Starlight's dream, so all we know for certain is that Luna can transform.  I always wanted to believe that Luna was unique among all ponies, and that she alone has these odd powers (NMM, the Tantabus), but who knows.  I'm completely agnostic here, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

• Brohoof 1

I remember hearing that Twilight was originally gonna become Midnight Sparkle in the finale but it was scrapped. Personally am fine with that feels strange to become ruler of Equestria after just turning to the dark side.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Js250476 said:

I remember hearing that Twilight was originally gonna become Midnight Sparkle in the finale but it was scrapped. Personally am fine with that feels strange to become ruler of Equestria after just turning to the dark side.

I feel like it can work if executed right.
Especially with not having Twilight immediately become ruler after snapping out of her dark self.(Such as most likely postpone the thing until she recovers from that whole mess there.)

In fact I wonder what would have caused her to become Midnight Sparkle in that original plan they had there?

Just now, Js250476 said:

Going off the story. Possibly Twilight losing faith in herself and friendship after the terrible trio made Equestria turn against each other.

I can see they might also go with something that mirrors how her human counterpart got corrupted.
Maybe the bell goes haywire and Twilight gets caught up in it and gets overloaded/overwelmed by all its power and magic it has stolen, causing her to go crazy as Midnight Sparkle until it takes all of her close friends to reach her and snap her out of it. Probably what restores her faith in friendship in a way.

• Brohoof 1