Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sisterhooves Social- Sweetie Belle's Living Situation

Master Chief

Do Raity's parents live in Ponyville? I have recently re-watched the episode and, for some reason, just now caught onto the fact that Rarity is babysitting for her parents. for the longest time, i thought that the two lived together, since Sweetie Belle goes to Ponyville's school and sometimes returns to Rarity's house after school. So, what is the deal here?

I would think Rarity's parents live in Ponyville, but in some unnamed area that the show never really found it necessary to reference. It would explain why Sweetie Bell still attends a Ponyville school, and it makes sense for her to stay with her parents, rather than her older sister. It's possible that their parents live somewhere outside of Ponyville, but that would require another explanation as to how Sweetie Bell attends school.
  • Brohoof 1

Well, considering how much we've seen Sweetie (nineteen) in contrast with the number of appearance of her and Rarity's parents (one), I'd say it's pretty much given that Rarity and her sister live together at Carousel Boutique. I think their parents live somewhere outside of Ponyville (their attire kinda makes me think they're foreign, and tourists in Ponyville). My guess is that Rarity came of age where she held enough responsibility to look after her own sibling.

And, honestly, I kinda prefer it that way, I don't know why, I just really like it for some reason. :)

• Brohoof 3

And, honestly, I kinda prefer it that way, I don't know why, I just really like it for some reason. :)

You like it cause it means cute sisterly hnnng opportunities :P

Posted Image

Anyway I highly agree with the 'they're tourists' bit. From the way they were dressed and acted, it almost seemed like they from Manehatten or somewhere else outside Ponyville.

• Brohoof 2

You like it cause it means cute sisterly hnnng opportunities :P

Posted Image

Anyway I highly agree with the 'they're tourists' bit. From the way they were dressed and acted, it almost seemed like they from Manehatten or somewhere else outside Ponyville.

Oh yes......that scene where Rarity is picking up the drawing that Sweetie Belle made for her that had all the sapphires on it, after shouting at her and being disowned as a sister.......TT-TT

• Brohoof 1

I just think they live somewhere very near to Ponyville, and they have two houses, one in ponyville that they are letting Rarity stay in as she watches Sweetie Belle, and one in a small town close to Ponyville that would be introduced in Season 3. They occasionally stop by their home in Ponyville. This is just a guess.

• Brohoof 1

Oh yes......that scene where Rarity is picking up the drawing that Sweetie Belle made for her that had all the sapphires on it, after shouting at her and being disowned as a sister.......TT-TT

You mean, this scene? :wacko:

:wub:

I think she probably lives with her sister now yes. Like you all said she's been seen ten times more than her parents, and always with Rarity. Plus, the way they bicker at each other, it makes it seem like classic 'living with your sibling drives you crazy' syndrome. If rarity didn't have to live with her, the occasional annoyance she got from Sweetie Belle probably wouldn't make her pop her lid. But it's consistent, so...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You mean, this scene? :wacko:

:wub:

I think she probably lives with her sister now yes. Like you all said she's been seen ten times more than her parents, and always with Rarity. Plus, the way they bicker at each other, it makes it seem like classic 'living with your sibling drives you crazy' syndrome. If rarity didn't have to live with her, the occasional annoyance she got from Sweetie Belle probably wouldn't make her pop her lid. But it's consistent, so...

Oh yesh :(

And yes, they constantly argue and get into negative situations, which happens more than commonly in close relationships, bf/gf, siblings, marriage, etc. And it's no different in the show, as they are just that good in replicating morals by taking real life situations, and human-esque character and traits among the ponies. It's unfortunate, but in the end, a positive lesson is learned everytimem and bonus points for sisterly/family relationship lessons. x3

Edited by One Reliable Gamer (NF160)

Reasonable Explanation, although not necessarily correct:

Sweetie Belle is at Rarities house so often because their parents are currently travelling the world... Would also explain why they were dressed in tourist garb...

Am I the only one who viewed this episode as Rarity's parents being somewhat, country-ish, like Applejack's family, and feels she is destined for something bigger (and doesn't really enjoy the country life, kind of like how Pinkie Pie lived on the rock farm, but enjoys parties)? I just figured Rarity lived on her own, in her boutique, and Sweetie Belle came to visit after school but lived with her parents somewhere in Ponyville, or right outside. To me, this also explains why Rarity needed to watch her for a week, since their parents were leaving on vacation for that time. I guess that is just my take on it. It could be anything. ^_^

My take on it is that Sweetie Belle still lives with her parents, but she also spends a lot of time at Rarity's. If their parents have jobs that mean they don't come home until a bit later, then it's likely that Sweetie Belle would go straight from school to Rarity's in order to have someone supervise her. Then when their parents actually do come home, they come and fetch her from Rarity's. A job like that is usually quite stressful, which would explain why they were taking a week-long holiday in Sisterhooves Social.

(edited)

Sweetie Belle has to live in Ponyville, or otherwise she wouldn't attend the town's school. That counters the hypothesis that her parents live elsewhere in Equestria.

If I had to venture a guess, Rarity and Sweetie Belle's parents live in Ponyville with Sweetie Belle. Because the two are sisters, Rarity and Sweetie Belle are frequently together; their parents may also have occupations which demand their attention in a manner which doesn't allow them to regularly look after the youngest daughter. It would make sense if Sweetie Belle hung around the boutique after school until her parents returned home from work or were otherwise available. Whenever their parents leave town, Rarity dutifully watches over her sister.

I think this is the safest set of assumptions we can make without wandering too far from what has been canonically established.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

Like Nascarfan said, Sweetie appears much more often than her parents. If she lived with her parents, don't you think they would be shown more often? I personally prefer the idea that she lives with Rarity, anyways. It makes the bickering in "Sisterhooves social" seem more likely and, to be honest, I just think it would be cool.

• 3 years later...