Jump to content
Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Movies/TV .


purpen
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's on my list of things to watch! I heard really cool things about it, but I don't know which season to start off on! :love:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

I watch it, particularly the new series (2005-...). I know that many fans really dislike the recent episodes, and I agree that the previous season only had a couple of good moments, and the current one started pooly. However, I personally enjoyed the last two episodes, and finally there are some things I'm looking forward to this season.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


44 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Everything I know about Doctor Who I learned from My Friend, @cuteycindyhoney. That being said I've never watched a full episode. 

Give it a try!

 

 

I am really liking this season. They're going full out action. Of course there are people complaining. They're starting to get louder on the REAL reason. Apparently there are some that want to roll back the clock (Get it? It's a time travel show) to a simpler time when ONLY MEN were allowed to be an action star on TV. They think the women are only there to scream and be rescued by the MAN. They're crying about "Whaa-Whaa! It's pandering to make the show diverse! Stop it!" I've seen commenters on several sites actually say "I won't watch "Nurse Who". That strongly implies that they firmly believe that in real life, women should not be doctors.  Let's not even get into the hate-storm over any non-heterosexual characters!

The latest episode added an all new dimension for the haters to wail about. Personally, I LOVED it!

 

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have seen (and enjoyed) Doctor Who, but I haven't seen anything since after the 11th Doctor (in fact, I've only seen the episodes with the 1st, 10th, and 11th doctors at this point), so I can't comment on the new episodes.

Edited by Angel_Dust
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I've watched a bit of it. Not a ton, but enough to the point where I know what's going on. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, so I'll probably watch more of it once I have more time on my hands.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Give it a try!

 

 

I am really liking this season. They're going full out action. Of course there are people complaining. They're starting to get louder on the REAL reason. Apparently there are some that want to roll back the clock (Get it? It's a time travel show) to a simpler time when ONLY MEN were allowed to be an action star on TV. They think the women are only there to scream and be rescued by the MAN. They're crying about "Whaa-Whaa! It's pandering to make the show diverse! Stop it!" I've seen commenters on several sites actually say "I won't watch "Nurse Who". That strongly implies that they firmly believe that in real life, women should not be doctors.  Let's not even get into the hate-storm over any non-heterosexual characters!

The latest episode added an all new dimension for the haters to wail about. Personally, I LOVED it!

 

That's so ridiculous. The Doctor may have always been male, but canonically it doesn't even make sense for the Doctor to always regenerate as male. Canonically the Time Lords regenerate as different genders.

And that's what it really comes down to when people whine about "forced" diversity. Diversity is actually the natural state of humanity, whereas straight white male protagonists being so common is what is actually forced.

Yeah, there being another regeneration of the Doctor that is not only a woman but also black is really neat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, Prospekt said:

I've seen the first several seasons of the reboot. I see why it's so well-liked, though I still need to catch up. David Tennant is my favorite Doctor so far. 

Tennant is my second favorite Doctor. Tom Baker is still my first. Tennant was a breath of fresh air to the series and made the character his own. I still believe that Donna was his best companion. They worked so well off of each other. Their comedy was gold.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Badges

On 1/28/2020 at 9:34 AM, Envy said:

That's so ridiculous. The Doctor may have always been male, but canonically it doesn't even make sense for the Doctor to always regenerate as male. Canonically the Time Lords regenerate as different genders.

And that's what it really comes down to when people whine about "forced" diversity. Diversity is actually the natural state of humanity, whereas straight white male protagonists being so common is what is actually forced.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, there being another regeneration of the Doctor that is not only a woman but also black is really neat.

 

Going back through the history of the show, there's little or nothing that the Doctor does that involves gender. In my favorite 'classic' episode. Tom Baker's Doctor told a female character "You're a beautiful woman, probably." It always implied to me that he actually didn't know because of his almost childlike sense of wonder for the universe. I liked David Tennant :wub: don't get me wrong, but I honestly think the whole Rose thing was a mistake. Matt Smith roped it back in. He portrayed an innocence much like Tom Baker. His Doctor was terrified when Amy tried to kiss him!

Spoiler

My thought on the new Doctor? I think we're going to find out that a rift has opened, and she's actually slipped through from a reality where Gallifrey never fell. As for Captain jack? I hope he comes back SOON! :wub:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Going back through the history of the show, there's little or nothing that the Doctor does that involves gender. In my favorite 'classic' episode. Tom Baker's Doctor told a female character "You're a beautiful woman, probably." It always implied to me that he actually didn't know because of his almost childlike sense of wonder for the universe. I liked David Tennant :wub: don't get me wrong, but I honestly think the whole Rose thing was a mistake. Matt Smith roped it back in. He portrayed an innocence much like Tom Baker. His Doctor was terrified when Amy tried to kiss him!

  Reveal hidden contents

My thought on the new Doctor? I think we're going to find out that a rift has opened, and she's actually slipped through from a reality where Gallifrey never fell. As for Captain jack? I hope he comes back SOON! :wub:

 

Well, at the very least, the whole Rose just made Tennant's regeneration all of the more sad. I mean it was already so sad to see Tennant go because he was excellent, but then you added that on top of it.

TBH, I don't remember how all of it went down as I watched that all five years ago and I don't always have the best memory (which works well for series like this where everything is retconned left and right constantly. LOL)

Alternate timeline/universe was my exact thought, as well. Not only did the whole plot with the Gallifreyan after her feel very foreign in every single way, but the personality of this Doctor was just drastically different. It's really like they were two entirely different people. Then you add on the fact that she thinks she is above the sonic screwdriver and that's really bizarre.

I was reading elsewhere that it was mentioned that there would be no alternate universes by the writers or something, though, so I don't really know how to make this all make sense. That's a rather common feeling in the series, though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, Envy said:

Well, at the very least, the whole Rose just made Tennant's regeneration all of the more sad. I mean it was already so sad to see Tennant go because he was excellent, but then you added that on top of it.

TBH, I don't remember how all of it went down as I watched that all five years ago and I don't always have the best memory (which works well for series like this where everything is retconned left and right constantly. LOL)

 

  Hide contents

Alternate timeline/universe was my exact thought, as well. Not only did the whole plot with the Gallifreyan after her feel very foreign in every single way, but the personality of this Doctor was just drastically different. It's really like they were two entirely different people. Then you add on the fact that she thinks she is above the sonic screwdriver and that's really bizarre.

I was reading elsewhere that it was mentioned that there would be no alternate universes by the writers or something, though, so I don't really know how to make this all make sense. That's a rather common feeling in the series, though!

 

Hopefully they will pull off something spectacular with where they're heading!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have watched the new series until the latest Doctor and also a few episodes of the very first season. I kinda gradually lost interest because the show kinda stopped making sense. I watched some episodes with the latest Doctor and the show had a bit too much real-life politics for my tastes.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, penns87 said:

I'm not a fan of shows bringing in politics to make a point.

Yea, in my opinion, real-life politics only belong in TV shows and movies about a historical event or person etc. While it may not really be possible to make a TV show with absolutely no real-life politics in it, having the politics be too blatant counts as propaganda IMO. 

If I watch a movie/TV show, see something in it that makes me stop and think "oh yea, they put that in here because of real-life politics" it damages my enjoyment of the show. One of the reasons I like MLP is that it does not really have real-life politics in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • purpen changed the title to .

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...