technology Randonautica

joanro

So, has anyone heard of this app? If you don’t know what Randonautica is, it is a app for your phone that gives you randomized coordinates depending on what it is you’re searching for. I first heard of it from the scary videos on Nuke’s Top 5. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecut.com/amp/2020/07/what-is-randonautica-the-app-that-led-teens-to-a-dead-body.html

I tried it once, but it didn’t really take me anywhere interesting. If you tried it before, what were you looking for and what did you find?

P.S. Only explore during the day and if you can, bring a friend. 

Thoughts?

Edited by joanro

I've tried this a few times. It sounds cool but I think you need to use it a lot to have a better chance of encountering one of those oddball coincidences that can be found all over the Randonautica subreddit or Randonaut TikToks. Seriously. If your intention is "cat" and you go on 10 excursions with the app, you'll be less likely to see one at your destination than if you visit 100 different locations. That's just basic probability. I think a lot of the hype around Randonautica has to do with self-fulfilling prophecies... even your location when you first have the bot generate a destination may come into play.

My point is, don't take it too seriously. Enjoy the outdoors. Walking around town can be an adventure if you've never actually done it before; you might find something that didn't match your intention but still piques your interest.

img-39037-1-img-39037-1-img-39037-1-img-

Signature by Kyoshi