Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP 40th anniversary year!!! Party it up!!!

ManaMinori

Hey guys! Guess what!? As of January 1, 2021, We are now in My Little Pony brand’s whopping 40th anniversary! Wheeeee!

Can you guys believe that the start of this massive and successful colorful equine brand and multigenerational fandom started with “My Pretty Pony”, all the way back in 1981? 

This topic will serve as a hub for celebration and  discussion through the entire year of 2021!!! (Early birds can also chat it up!) Let’s get this party started! 

Discussion topics: 

How do you feel that the pony brand is now “over the hill”?

What year did you get into MLP?

Are you only a part of the pony family for one generation?

Are you a pony collector?

Does the person responsible for the concept and design of MLP as a whole, Bonnie Zacherle, get enough praise and recognition in the generational fandoms apart from g1?

How many more years do you see the pony brand trotting along?

Edited by ManaMinori
  • Brohoof 1

1. I didn’t realize it was that old! :blink:

2. I’d say it was around 2014. I knew about G3 when that was the current generation but I didn’t like it until I watched G4.

3. I like all the generations! (Except Newborn Cuties :eww:)

4. Yes but I haven’t collected anything lately. Part of it is pony toys are slowly phasing out anyways.

5. Probably not. :/ She’s the one who deserves the most credit.

6. Hmm, at the very least another five years? Depends on how MLP is going forward with Pony Life and the CGI movie.

• Brohoof 2

I'm still surprised that a franchise like My Little Pony has become this big.  But I'd say it hasn't hit full stride until it's part of a Massive Hasbro crossover with other franchises like Transformers, Jem and the Holograms, GI Joe, Power Rangers and other franchises

Late 80s, early 90s, for Generation 1.  I have the full series on DVD.

Hell no.  Both G1 and G4. The former due to its mythology.  The latter for obvious reasons

Hell yeah.  Though I think with the end of Pony Life, I may consider retiring from Pony Toy collecting(Unless G5 has some interesting designs)

Does the person responsible for the concept and design of MLP as a whole, Bonnie Zacherle, get enough praise and recognition in the generational fandoms apart from g1?

As much as I want to give Lauren Faust credit for shaping Ponies into a better idea, Bonnie deserves some credit for making the franchise a reality.

If brands like the Transformers, Gi Joe and the Power Rangers can last a long time, so can My Little Pony.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

1. I didn’t realize it was that old! :blink:

2. I’d say it was around 2014. I knew about G3 when that was the current generation but I didn’t like it until I watched G4.

3. I like all the generations! (Except Newborn Cuties :eww:)

4. Yes but I haven’t collected anything lately. Part of it is pony toys are slowly phasing out anyways.

5. Probably not. :/ She’s the one who deserves the most credit.

6. Hmm, at the very least another five years? Depends on how MLP is going forward with Pony Life and the CGI movie.

1: I know, right?! The 35th anniversary feels like it was just yesterday! Where does the time go?

3: well, NC really isn’t a generation, as many seem to believe. There were 2 versions of g3- a sorta more horse modeled version and the SD rounder .5 series. NC was a one shot that was nestled into g3.5...more of a g3.8. But again, it wasn’t its own generation. I know that wasn’t the point of your post, but I’m just saying. 
Back on topic- you are allowed to dislike NC For what it is. Perfectly acceptable. Also perfectly fine and very much appreciated that you like every other gen besides the oddity of NC as a sub within a sub gen. 

4: fair enough. Do you not collect fan made pony merch? Customs and the like? Do you see yourself collecting anything from g5 when it comes out?

Edited by ManaMinori
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ManaMinori said:

I'm not surprised to be honest. Successful brands usually last a *long* time.

2013. The week Just For Sidekicks" first aired to be exact. 

We'll see. 

Hopefully, it will have the longevity of other brands like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

• Brohoof 1

Whatever.

At around Season 2 of G4.

So far, yes. I don't know how will G5 be or whether I'll watch it, but so far I have nod had any interest in watching the older generations.

I have a few figures, so, I probably count as a collector. My collection is not nearly as extensive as those of others.

I don't know the answers to either of these questions.

• Brohoof 2

Not really surprised

G1 and G4. I love G1 for it's disney vibe.

Not really.

Not at all

A long time. 

• Brohoof 1

yayy let's go ponies PepoCheer at 1x

1. hmmmmm 

2. in 2012 (or like late 2011), but I remember playing with G3 ponies when I was in kindergarten, so I've been aware of them since I was smol

3. nope :coco: I very much like other generations

4. I'd love to collect ponies but currently I'm not able to, in the future tho i'll collect both G4 and G3 ponies

5. I don't think she does :sunny: 

6. for many, many years my friend ;)

9 hours ago, ManaMinori said:

1: I know, right?! The 35th anniversary feels like it was just yesterday! Where does the time go?

3: well, NC really isn’t a generation, as many seem to believe. There were 2 versions of g3- a sorta more horse modeled version and the SD rounder .5 series. NC was a one shot that was nestled into g3.5...more of a g3.8. But again, it wasn’t its own generation. I know that wasn’t the point of your post, but I’m just saying. 
Back on topic- you are allowed to dislike NC For what it is. Perfectly acceptable. Also perfectly fine and very much appreciated that you like every other gen besides the oddity of NC as a sub within a sub gen. 

4: fair enough. Do you not collect fan made pony merch? Customs and the like? Do you see yourself collecting anything from g5 when it comes out?

3. I know it’s a sub-gen, I just wanted to point it out cause I like pretty much everything else except that.

4. Fan pony merch is usually pretty expensive and I never went to a convention because I knew everyone there would be a lot older than me. I do have some of my own customs, though, if that counts. I might collect some G5 stuff but it depends on how it turns out and how easy it is to customize those ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I was into mlp since at least 2011. I first saw Trixie and I really liked her character, Trixie was one of my first cartoon crushes. I joined the forum in 2016 after seeing Starlight's reformation. I never watched or looked into the other generations ever before honestly. 

• Brohoof 1

On 12/17/2020 at 7:36 AM, Califorum said:

I was into mlp since at least 2011. I first saw Trixie and I really liked her character, Trixie was one of my first cartoon crushes. I joined the forum in 2016 after seeing Starlight's reformation. I never watched or looked into the other generations ever before honestly. 

So you’re just in it for g4. Fair enough. Lots of people like Trixie. 
did you know she was inspired by a pony from g2, named Princess Trixiebelle? (And was also an entertainer who dazzled with tricks and shows)

Edited by ManaMinori

5 minutes ago, ManaMinori said:

So you’re just in it for g4. Fair enough. Lots of people like Trixie. 
did toy know she was inspired by a pony from g2, named Princess Trixiebelle? (And was also an entertainer who dazzled with tricks and shows)

I never knew that! Tell me about her

• Brohoof 1

On 12/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, ManaMinori said:

Hmm....to be honest, i don't know. 

Ooh, I think i remember seeing it little bit back in around 2010 or 2011 on The Hub. It's rare for me to watch The Hub on Dish and that was before my family even get Netflix. Anyways, fast forward to 2020, after I heard MLP multiple times, and the recent cartoons coming out, I decided to give MLP FiM and EQG a shot and yep, I enjoy watching them ;-) Thanks God Netflix has FiM and EG.

I guess I haven't seen previous generations yet so yeah, i only seen G4, but we'll see in the future.

Unfortunately, no. But i'm pretty sure two of my cousins (who are girls and likes MLP) actually ponies figures/toys but i'm not too sure.

She should, along with Lauren Faust. :-)

Hopefully, 20-60 years, maybe even more than that.... but time will tell. Franchises like Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT,  DC Comics, Batman, Superman, Marvel, Star Wars, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Garfield, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and TV shows such as NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, Saturday Night Live (SNL), ER, Grey's Anatomy, General Hospital, Law & Order SVU, and the original Law & Order can last for more than 10+ years. Even a Blondie comics is still running on print to this day since 1930. Hopefully MLP franchise can last for a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long time.

Edited by raykv423
  • Brohoof 1

I mean it’s pretty cool it’s still going strong.

I loved G3 as a kid with Sparkleworks being my favorite pony. I didn’t get deep into the fandom till FIM. 

Ill be here for the next gen.

I was but honestly I don’t have most of my stuff anymore. I gave it to my younger cousins kids. They couldn’t afford to buy them stuff and honestly due to moving and not much space I couldn’t keep it all anyway. It made their kids really happy and I’m happy that they’re happy.

I see things continuing for awhile now. How long I dk but I don’t see the train ending anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/18/2020 at 7:33 PM, Operetta said:

I mean it’s pretty cool it’s still going strong.

I loved G3 as a kid with Sparkleworks being my favorite pony. I didn’t get deep into the fandom till FIM. 

Ill be here for the next gen.

I was but honestly I don’t have most of my stuff anymore. I gave it to my younger cousins kids. They couldn’t afford to buy them stuff and honestly due to moving and not much space I couldn’t keep it all anyway. It made their kids really happy and I’m happy that they’re happy.

I see things continuing for awhile now. How long I dk but I don’t see the train ending anytime soon.

Well, I think it is super sweet you gave most your pony merch away to your cousins kids. Real nice. I know that must’ve been difficult. But I am sure they really appreciated it. What things do you have remaining?

Edited by ManaMinori
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ManaMinori said:

We, I think it is super sweet you gave most your pony merch away to your cousins kids. Real nice. I know that must’ve been difficult. But I am sure they really appreciated it. What things do you have remaining?

It was but I have a few stuffed animals and I kept the funko pops I had.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Operetta said:

It was but I have a few stuffed animals and I kept the funko pops I had.

Nice. I’m sure you miss your stuff, at times, but Do you find yourself happier with the smaller collection, now? 
Will you also be collecting anything for g5?

• Brohoof 1

Nice. I’m sure you miss your stuff, at times, but Do you find yourself happier with the smaller collection, now? 
Will you also be collecting anything for g5?

I do miss it honestly but at the same time I’m happy knowing that they’re happy? I don’t regret what I did despite missing my stuff.When I’ve gotten rid of larger collections I’ve had in the past I do end up missing the stuff but I don’t regret letting it go. I did the same with my large collection of Monster High dolls. I gave them to another relatives kids who didn’t have much. If I I end up liking G5 I will probably collect some things of the characters I like. I probably won’t be super into collecting things like I did before. Not only that I’m not sure where I’ll be financially either.

Edited by Operetta
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Operetta said:

I do miss it honestly but at the same time I’m happy knowing that they’re happy? I don’t regret what I did despite missing my stuff.When I’ve gotten rid of larger collections I’ve had in the past I do end up missing the stuff but I don’t regret letting it go. I did the same with my large collection of Monster High dolls. I gave them to another relatives kids who didn’t have much. If I I end up liking G5 I will probably collect some things of the characters I like. I probably won’t be super into collecting things like I did before. Not only that I’m not sure where I’ll be financially either.

quite admirable. Props. I wish more people were like that. I mean, there's a reason why there exists a proverb saying that giving is better than receiving, and those that do are happier. So that's respectable.

I also don't plan on collecting much from g5, when it comes. I have so much stuff and it's pretty much all in storage bins now. I'm sure I could serve to go through some of my own hoard and give away the ones that don't bring me happiness anymore. But I know for sure I'll definitely buy the movie when it gets released, since I have the g1 and g4 pony movie.

• Brohoof 1

quite admirable. Props. I wish more people were like that. I mean, there's a reason why there exists a proverb saying that giving is better than receiving, and those that do are happier. So that's respectable.

I also don't plan on collecting much from g5, when it comes. I have so much stuff and it's pretty much all in storage bins now. I'm sure I could serve to go through some of my own hoard and give away the ones that don't bring me happiness anymore. But I know for sure I'll definitely buy the movie when it gets released, since I have the g1 and g4 pony movie.

Yeah I’m also probably going to go through some more of my stuff for that reason as well. Like I could do with some more free space lol.

Also I can sit here and say I won’t get much G5 stuff. However there’s a chance when G5 comes I’ll somehow end up with tons of stuff. 

• Brohoof 2