Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Age Consistency makes No Sense.

BOOK HORSE 2.0

Okay! So Twilight had her entrance exam at roughly the age of 4 years old (given take her size, and lack of cutie mark, and She's smaller then the CMC's) she used her magic to help hatch Spike a Baby Dragon, okay so far so good.

Enter Season 1, Twilight is now considered an Adult Mare, maybe 18 years of age at least, so my question is this.

How the hell is Spike still a "Baby Dragon"?

He can cook, take care of himself, is able to make a living, and has shown to be very mature, and level headed.

You can come up with the most practical explanation cause I'd love to hear it, but by that logic then 14 years would have passed making Spike at least a Pre-Teen.

I'm gonna need some discussion on this because this makes absolutely no sense?

mlp_spike_meme_by_xxmidnightderexx_da90pr6-fullview.jpg

Age works different in regards to animals and other races in fiction, I always assumed this was the same

Old for a dragon could be like a few centuries or thousands of years, if lore of dragons in other works is anything to go by.

Edited by Pastel Heart
  • Brohoof 5

Look at how long dragons live. The old Dragon Lord could easily have been hundreds of years old. Pretty sure the same was implied of the dragon that was sleeping in the mountains near Ponyville. Yeah, Spike could easily be a baby from that regard. Though to be fair, there's a lot of evidence that his growth spurt came late; and yeah, that could possibly have been influenced by being in a non-native environment. Also, given the interaction, it seems pretty clear that the other dragons who are picking on Spike when he visits the homeland, are roughly the same age as he is; yet they act much more like juveniles, and are considerably taller.

• Brohoof 1

Short repetitive answer, dragons age slower due in part to their longevity, and Spike has been stunted by environmental factors, i.e. delayed hatching, magical influence, living amongst ponies.

This is why he grew to such an enormous size when he let his greed get ahead of him with access to the bounties of Equestrian society, and why he didn't grow wings until much later on.

I have always assumed that the Mane Six started off as teenagers during at least the first few seasons, due to a theory Digibrony (back when that was her Youtube name) made back in like 2012 and because of how the Equestria Girls versions were teenagers. Its totally plausible that teenagers are expected to live out on their own in Equestria and get jobs, since it is such a different society than ours with less technology. Check out the video below if you wish, its an interesting theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drs5eGChwc0

11 hours ago, Lone Traveler said:

Its totally plausible that teenagers are expected to live out on their own in Equestria and get jobs, since it is such a different society than ours with less technology.

But wasn't Twilight a college graduate when she went to Ponyville?