Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E20 - One Trick Pony

Ashen Pathfinder

(edited)

This is one of my favourite episodes of Tell Your Tale.

I love how...

• It explores how the return of magic is changing pony society.
  • How Izzy applies her unicycling to someone who feel like they're useless junk. Something perhaps to be used in real life for people who feel obsolete or can't do what they were once so good at.
  • Rufus, a lover of stage magic, gets to do the real thing.

Personally though I would have written another scene between saving Glory and the Mane Melody show...

Ext Maretime Bay, Day.

Rufus is experimenting with his new powers, joyfully watching as plants of all kinds sprout from the ground at the stomp of his hooves and making vines move like tentacles.

Rufus: Ha ha! I always loved doing magic tricks but real magic is really better!

Seashell, Glory and Peach Fizz look on with wonder while Izzy is so happy for her friend.

Izzy: Now we'll find a job for you no problem!

Rufus' happiness turns to melancholy

Izzy: What's wrong? Aren't you glad you got your growy growy planty magic?

Rufus: Of course I am but... Izzy you've been wonderful trying to help me out. But even if I had gotten one of those jobs, I still wouldn't have been happy. Putting on shows was more then my job, it was a part of who I am. Making ponies smile, seeing their spirts lift, putting a little wonder in their day. That's why I loved show business and I don't think I'll be happy until I can be part of it again, even in some small way.

And this would have led nicely into Rufus becoming Pip's new special effects pony.

And there's one other thing I particularly noticed. I'm British, and that part where Rufus makes all those teas appear? It reminds me of famous British magician, Tommy Cooper.

Edited by Casey Pones