Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S02:E06 - The Traditional Unicorn Sleep-Over

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: The Traditional Unicorn Sleep-Over
Release Date: September 26, 2022
Written By: Julia Prescott
Synopsis: Izzy invites newcomer Misty to a sleepover with sing-alongs, hoof readings, ponycorn and more! But Zipp has a funny feeling about the gang's new friend.

NOTE: Episode is only available on NetFlix for the foreseeable future. Please keep that in mind!

• Brohoof 2

This one was actually really sweet. All of the mares communicating with Misty after Izzy met her and invited her to a sleepover. Zipp, being the one on top of things, grew suspicious of her presence from the start, while the others were oblivious.

Even though Izzy was the odd unicorn from Bridlewood, she held onto some foalhood memories, and preparing for the sleepover was one of them. Eagerly sharing those memories with another unicorn meant she can relate to another unicorn in the Brighthouse. As a character, she was really good here, and you can't help but feel bad whenever the sleepover kept going wrong.

Also, really sweet of Pipp and Sunny to craft Izzy's little bedroom area to make the Brighthouse feel like home. Scenes like that really show how much they love her and consider her one of their own.

Oh, yeah, I really enjoy the animation of Sunny and Misty telling their own versions of Ancient Equestria. Not only does it explore plenty backstory, but further establishes just how manipulative Opaline is.

In short, really well done.

• Brohoof 4

32 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Also, really sweet of Pipp and Sunny to craft Izzy's little bedroom area to make the Brighthouse feel like home. Scenes like that really show how much they love her and consider her one of their own.

This part of the episode as well as when they wanted to hear all about Izzy's Unicorn traditions were my favorites. :twismile:

I also liked the two different varitations of the story Sunny and Misty told because they finally expanded on the main plot of gen 5

and explained why the magic was lost to begin with. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 3

Great episode, too bad hitch wasn't really present. I loved how stressed Misty was and her little freak out in the garden. She is one of my favorite characters so far. The interactions were great, the episode also had some heartwarming moments as well. No surprise Zipp is the one who is suspicious of Misty. My favorite scenes were when Misty met the other 3 and her freaking out while talking to herself. 

I'm honestly shocked. NGL, upon looking at the episode title I was reminded of the G4 season 1 sleep over episode and...yeah; my expectations were pretty low.

BUT...this episode was actually REALLY good! Izzy actually feeling homesick adds quite a lot to her character and everyone's interaction with Misty really formed a solid foundation for this episode.

Also, Misty is just great. OMG I love her already. <3

• Brohoof 5

This is nothing like Friendship is Magic's sleepover episode, which is a good thing. Even if I was cringing a bit at times at just how bad of a liar Misty is, it makes it easier for me to pity her. The fact that she's never even had unicorn food before legit makes me worry about how Opaline has been feeding her. Best part of the episode though was when Sunny and Misty were telling their stories. Twilight's hologram has already confirmed the grain of truth in the lie Misty's been told, since she knew about Opaline while Sunny still doesn't know. 

• Brohoof 2

For me this batch mostly got better with every episode but still felt just okay (with the songs being the only consistently good part). This episode though I really enjoyed, it was my favorite and got me to like Misty.

• Brohoof 1

This is what I hoped for after the previous episode: more interaction with Misty (although I'm a little surprised Pipp didn't recognize her, because she was in that silly band in one of the previous episodes). Also the delivery of the lines from Opaline got better. Either that, or I'm getting used to it. Anyway, there's some interesting lore in this one and it ends in kind of a cliffhanger, when Zipp sees Misty talking to Opaline. I can't wait to see what happens next...

• Brohoof 3

For an obligatory sleepover episode, I think this one is alright.  I don't mind that Hitch is absent for most of this one, and I'm especially glad that Sparky is, so I consider it a net positive.  Once again, Sunny and Pipp are kind of just there.  Izzy isn't super annoying for a change, and we did get to learn a bit more about her.  Sure, she's kind of pulling an A Friend in Deed, and when she is, it's every bit of cringe as it was with Pinkie, but the episode doesn't go as far with it. 

We actually have more interaction with Misty, at least, and Zipp is still being the only character who's aware of any goings-on.  As this episode actually moves the plot along, I think, it's definitely one that has payoff for the villains.  Up until now, Opaline and Misty felt a bit unnecessary.  Only in the previous two episodes did they actually have any hand in what was happening, and even then, in the previous episode they just got lucky, and weren't actually involved in the main plot.  However, now we're actually seeing stuff happen so hopefully it builds up to something good.  I'm actually a bit interested to see where this is going, especially since Netflix gave me the synopsis for episode 7.  

I am a bit iffy about the stories about how Equestria went to heck, but I'm glad they're just left as unconfirmed stories.  I'm going to ignore that one comic that I saw scans of.  If the show actually does give us a full explanation of what allegedly happened to force-tie these two series together, I can't imagine it will be all that good.  Still, it's not that big a part of this episode, and I was invested in the plot for a change.  I guess I'll give this one as close to a thumbs up as I can muster for a G5 episode.  It's not Shakespeare, but I think it works, for the most part.  

This episode maddens me.

So I just watched it a second time, knowing the plot. So we have Misty infiltrating a second time, not being noticed by Sunny who paid no attention to anypony but her Mane 5 friends.

What was this sleep over all about? Was it about supporting Izzy? Was it really about not making her sad? Why was Zipp so focused on thinking Misty was bad, up till the last scene (which didn't even carry over to the next episode!?).

Let's look at this episode with Lauren Faust glasses on:
What was the lesson learned?

And now, to the story of the Princess Twilight Sparkle. The moment we have all waited for... She hide away magic?????? Wait what? Why? Can somepony please explain why Twilight Sparkle would remove her own element from Equestria?
And no mention of the Mane 6 huh? So Sunny knows about the Mane 6 from her Cutie Mark pins... And still, they mean nothing to the plot?

Why is Opaline important again? Actually, I don't care, I love her evil accent and absolute stupidity.

This is where I am really starting to like G5. When they tie in G4 to G5, I was thinking it would be terrible...but I am actually liking it, oddly enough. I like how Misty tells Opaline's version of history. Misty being a terrible liar actually makes sense, since Opaline keeps her in the dark and she doesn't even know types of food? I feel bad for Misty, but I also like seeing more of Opaline. What is Opaline's cutie mark? Not only that, but all the characters here show true uniqueness and I love it all, really. I can't get enough of G5.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 4:23 PM, Splashee said:

Can somepony please explain why Twilight Sparkle would remove her own element from Equestria?

This... is a very good question. Ah, those G5 plot holes showing us the poor work made by the writters of the new story. I will always say that the worst mistake in the current generation, is linking it with G4.

I loved Misty in this episode, her character felt so real, (ironically) human and relatable. It explains the popularity she has.

Spoiler

Poor thing, she is being abused by her mentor...

Also, we saw another Izzy facet, finally putting her suffocating happiness away for one moment, to center in her nostalgia about her hometown. It helped a lot to develop Izzy and give some realism to the situation she is handling.

• Brohoof 1