Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think G6 should be like?

eddeams

Granted, we're still not done with G5, but by the time we get to the next generation, how do you think it should be done? Which ponies would you like to see return and from which past generations (not counting G4) do you think they should draw elements from?

• Brohoof 1

I am not one to say what it should be, really; no matter what I would think of what they do next, it is better that MLP not fall into a rigid formula that suffocates any new or unique ideas. I would like them to reintroduce some more classic characters however; especially Grogar, because we never truly got to see him after G1.

That said, I do have a sneaking suspicion that it will be a reboot of Generation 4. Incredible as it may seem to us dinosaurs, Friendship is Magic is well over a decade old now, and you can already see little flickers of nostalgia for it here or there among the young adults who watched it as children. Furthermore, G5 has carried over several major elements from G4 as well, and is quite literally a direct sequel to it. The baseline of G4 is something they seem very hesitant to let go of so far, and I doubt this will change. Finally, the iconography of G4 in general still defines this franchise; G5 made the right move by introducing new characters I believe, but I don't think Izzy or Sunny will ever be on the level of Pinkie or Rainbow Dash, for better or worse.

The iconic nature of G4, and its target demographic coming of age as potential new fans and customers, especially if they have children of their own, makes me think they are going to lean hard into G4 nostalgia once G5 is over. The corporate aversion to risk, the ripe timing, and our quite nostalgia-heavy pop culture (or whatever remains of it) paints a picture of a G4 reboot to me. Not to say I am FOR it necessarily; I could honestly say the opposite. Nonetheless, I am quite sure there will be an appetite for more of what G4 offered one day on the horizon, and Hasbro will be keen to pounce on the opportunity.

• Brohoof 3

I do agree it may be a reimagining of G4, but what else do you expect? It's practically become a blueprint for the MLP franchise. Previous generations had no consistent cast of characters that stuck out in people's minds like Transformers or G.I. Joe did. But with the arrival of Friendship is Magic, it introduced characters like Twilight Sparkle who may as well be iconic as Optimus Prime or Duke.

That being said, I do expect some major differences from G4 if G6 decides to go that route. Like maybe it sticks closer to what Lauren Faust had in mind for FiM like Cadance is portrayed as a Pegasus instead of an Alicorn. Along with stuff like Twilight becoming a sorceress instead of a Princess.

• 3 weeks later...

Which studio do you think should handle G6? Should it be WildBrain (the successor to Friendship is Magic's studio DHX Media), Boulder Media (who produced Pony Life, Rainbow Roadtrip, New Generation, and some Equestria Girls shorts), Atomic Cartoons (Make Your Mark), Lil Critter Workshop (Tell Your Tale), or someone else?

Perhaps Frederator Studios could be a choice if Hasbro decides to go with a studio from the United States?