Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think a robot should look like a human or a Robot?

Codelyy

Do you think robots should look like a human so you can't even really tell if it's a robot or have them look like a true robot so a big metal thing?

I think i would want it just to be a robot and not have it looking like a human because i think it be better that way

So by just a robot i mean something that would look like the fallout new vegas robots so you can see all the metal 

Sw6iNVr.png

well, the correct term for a human-like robot is android, right?

might be mistaking tough.

but anyway, yeah, i do prefer the big metal clunky robots. humanoids scare the shifz outta me :P

• Brohoof 2

I prefer it to look like a robot, because if they were to look and sound like a human.. It's more creepy when they're a human, because if we were to be enslaved by robots, we wouldn't even see it coming because they'd look humanoid. o:

this whole thing reminds me of Chobits.  Although some of the episodes of that anime was stupid (underpants anyone?) it kind've throws some good deep thoughts and questions around the concept of humanoid robots and their effect of human psychology and society. 

Personally though, I don't really care.  Robots aren't humans and in my lifetime at least we won't have to deal with something right out of Ergo Proxy, human technology is not to that level.  However, I do fear something along the lines of Deus Ex. Human Revolution in my lifetime, and I am kind've throwing everything in this thought, including governmental conspiracies involving ID chips.  That is something we may be dealing with within the next 10-20 years.  That's more of a scary thought than anything else regarding technology...

• Brohoof 1

human-like robot is android,right?

To a degree. A android is a robot that looks completely human, and acts like one.

I would rather it look like a normal hunk of metal.

I would find it odd to look at a human like robot...look at its face, into it's cold, dead, unfeeling eyes.

Edited by Rev
  • Brohoof 1

Well it would have to depend on the purpose of the robot.

Generally, a robot would be built to be as efficient as possible in its function, whether it's assembling parts in a factory (robot arm) or massacring humans (a drone, perhaps?).

I can't really think of any function that an android would serve. Except, maybe as a... companion, if you know what I mean? (winkcoughcoughsputterblush)

Watch iRobot. That freakin' movie man...

Every time will smith pushes the NS-4 out of the way I leap to my knees in front of the TV and scream "NOOOOO!"

But really, if you watch that movie as a robot enthusiast, that answers the question.

Except, maybe as a... companion, if you know what I mean?

Precisely what I was thinking. Whenever we get around to creating androids I'm certain one of their first functions will be prostitution. After a while humans will start preferring their beautiful, perfect-skinned, fully customizable robot lovers over their annoyingly unpredictable fleshy counterparts. Then the species will gradually die out from lack of reproduction.

I say bring it on. It would be hilarious.

This one is a toughie for me. On one hand, human-like robots are nice and all. But on the other hand, robots given more unique designs are more, well unique. So, I prefer robots having many different designs.

I think it should be what it's made to do. If it's made to work in your home or be a companion human. if it's made to fight in a war zone or work in space robot.

Precisely what I was thinking. Whenever we get around to creating androids I'm certain one of their first functions will be prostitution. After a while humans will start preferring their beautiful, perfect-skinned, fully customizable robot lovers over their annoyingly unpredictable fleshy counterparts. Then the species will gradually die out from lack of reproduction.

I say bring it on. It would be hilarious.

i would love to have a android wife(every seen the anime Armitage III that what i thinking about). I know i would make my  android look like Saeko Busujima and have her act like her(she can cook, clean, and kill) and i would give her a O-Katana with a wakizashi so she could also be my bodyguard.

Also what is androids get to the point were they can have human kids? think about that!!

Also what is androids get to the point were they can have human kids? think about that!!

It's an interesting thought. If the science is sufficiently advanced they could install a reproductive system on the female models (and maybe the male ones too!) that mimics our own. Or better yet, they could give us the ability to design a child somehow and then have the androids birth it, beginning a utopian generation of "flawless" people. But since I'm a cynic, I imagine all this would go horribly wrong in ways I'm too tired to think about right now.

• 9 years later...

I think robots should look like anything but humans to avoid confusion. Making robots that look like humans isn't good because at some point, they will look so much alike that it will be extremely difficult to distinguish the two from each other. Fallout 4's human-like synths is a good example of why that is a bad idea.

I’d want them to look more human than robot; or at least humanoid in general. The aesthetics would make them more pleasing to the eye and relatable, so it wouldn’t feel like I was interacting with my toaster.

• Brohoof 2

I still agree with my younger self that I think robots should look like "robots" instead of having a human appearance. 

It depends on what purpose it has.

An industrial robot actually looks more like a machine. And it doesn't have to have a special appearance. It should perform a specific task only.

What will we see in the future, one wonders?

Right now, I think they are way to "stupid" to look like a human.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly like it more when robots look like robots. When they're too humanoid, it's a bit creepy to me. But then again, I like cute robots, so yeah.