Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01: EP63 - Nightmare Market

DivineMist1000

I was a little worried because it looked like they were already starting to recycle content. We already did the whole 'mane characters turn into foals hijinks' back in episode 15. But, they put in some nice twists with the Night Market. Bat/Dragon pony Pipp is adorable. And good call back to said episode with Pipp trying to warn them about the glitter.

We also got a nice heart warming moment with Alphabittle reacting to the memories of foal Misty, even going so far as to withhold her straw a little longer to enjoy it just a bit more.

I was even happy to see a chilfhangerishkinda, nonhappy ending. Opaline came in a stole another cutie mark! But then confusion set in. Posey still has her cutie mark in this episode. So is she not the first victim like MYM made it seem? :sealed:

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Hugs 1

I thought it was a really good episode and I actually didn’t mind them doing the baby thing again because it was great seeing Alphabittle trying to get them under control and I liked that little moment with him remembering Misty as a filly, but still decided to change her back to normal.

Opaline showing up at the end was pretty awesome and it actually ended on a cliffhanger for once too!

• Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1

I'm happy that this sequel to Making a Foal of Me isn't just good, it's way better than it had to be! Posey getting handed a foal to take care of is my new favorite "Poseyabuse" gag, Alphabittle was ace in this one, and the way Opaline came into the picture was an awesome pleasant surprise. So the remark in Lavarynth about her curse being stopped wasn't indicating that she was defeated for good. Loved how she got to be a threatening villain too with what she did to poor Onyx. Would love for the new Mane 6 to fight Opaline in the TYT S1 finale. 

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

When did Misty become Alphabittles daughter? :zipp-wut:

Watch Make Your Mark Chapter 5, this was revealed in Family Trees. 

• Brohoof 1

It was pretty good considering that the premise was already used before. My favorite parts were baby Pipp being handed to Posey and Opaline's segments, although it makes the timeline confusing, so I will consider it one of those differences between MYM and TYT.

• Brohoof 1

I'm mixed on this one.  Points off for recycling a concept from a previous episode, and one that is highly tropey to begin with.  Points earned for having it be an Alphabittle episode though, and yeah...it ended up being a decent enough character moment for him.  Having other potion and artifact effects occur while the ponies are young also helps alleviate the predictability somewhat, even though it's clear that it's going to work out, and even all of that is pretty tropey. 

As for Opaline's part...I'm equally mixed.  It's a phoned-in addition at the end of the episode that could probably work without her, but I'm used to her being shoehorned into plots.  Moreover, she did steal hipster pony's cutie mark (I really can't bother to learn the names of all the NPCs, even though she's one of my favourites in G5).  Much like with Posey, hipster pony hated having her cutie mark stolen, but was otherwise more or less just mildly perturbed, which underlines how much less relevant cutie marks are in this series.  Also, speaking of Posey, she had her mark again, so I guess those grow back.  Yeah, I know that's probably an animation error, but if the producers of TYT don't give a flip than neither do I.  Posey seems to be doing just fine post-cutie mark snatch even without that animation goof-up, so while all of this should be serving to amp up suspense, it's actually having the opposite effect for me.  Oh well, I guess it is a clear indication that plot is still ongoing. 

By the way, who are Jade and Taco?  A couple of Opaline's inanimate objects perhaps?  It's also possible we got a further spoilery thing that we're not supposed to know about yet, but the producers of TYT definitely don't give a flip about that either, so neither do I.  

• Brohoof 2

This is a similar concept to one of the previous ones, but it's much more interesting and much more well done. An Alphabittle episode! Now that's truly something unique, and the scenes with him and the filly version of Misty I found quite special. The ponies were so cute as fillies - though Hitch being a giant filly I thought was just over the top and how the other ponies around them didn't really seem to react much was a bit off. Filly Pipp being handed to Posey was just adorable! Though Posey having her cutie mark makes me less certain what the timeline is. 

If Opaline was watching them with her phone, I feel like she could have been smarter with her plan of attack - then again, smarts doesn't really seem like her strong suit. 

• Brohoof 1

This was a somewhat interesting episode for Tell Your Tale's standards. It's a bit of a rehash of an already used concept, but at least this time there's a bit of a new spin to things with all the random magical artifacts. The childish slapstick humor of this episode isn't the greatest, but I do think that it's funny to see Alphabittle try to fix the problem. Plus, the moment when he's giving Misty her straw is a pretty heartwarming moment. The only thing that really caught me off guard with this episode was the ending. Things went from your typical silly episode to opaline strolling on in and taking Onyx's cutie mark. That was a bit of a tone change. 

18 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

By the way, who are Jade and Taco?  A couple of Opaline's inanimate objects perhaps?  It's also possible we got a further spoilery thing that we're not supposed to know about yet, but the producers of TYT definitely don't give a flip about that either, so neither do I.  

I was wondering that two. She said it like we were supposed to already know who or what they are, but we don't. You could be right on this being another thing from MYM chapter 6 that's just being spoiled in TYT.

It quickly descended into the usual super-fast-paced wacky surrealism that Tell Your Tale does so often - and there's nothing wrong with that. It wasn't bad and it wasn't great. I found it quite entertaining even though my mind can't always process what's going on at that breakneck speed. Like Pony Life, Tell Your Tale really does seem aimed at children with very short attention spans.

On 2023-10-19 at 9:44 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

When did Misty become Alphabittles daughter? :zipp-wut:

Haven't you been watching Make Your Mark?!