Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Minimum post lengths

Zoop

MLP Forums has grown at a tremendous rate these last several months, to the point that our total post count for last month hit 98,639. While it's always nice to see such a ridiculous number appear in our statistics, we've noticed a concerning side effect that has cropped up as a result of our increasing popularity.

I'll let these two charts do the talking for me.

post-101-0-84959900-1342832167.png

post-101-0-64110100-1342832167.png

As you can see, we've had a gradual - but steady - increase in posts that have lacked any appreciable amount of content. Given that the entire purpose of a discussion forum is to facilitate discussion, and the fact that the goal for MLP Forums has always been to provide the best possible venue for pony related discussion, we have decided that the time has come to take steps to mitigate the effects of this growing nuisance.

All posts in the Life Advice and Roleplay boards from here on out must be at least two hundred characters in length. Meanwhile, all posts elsewhere (except Cloudsdale, which remains without a limit) will carry with them a one hundred character minimum.

Not sure how long those are? Don't worry - I've got some handy-dandy examples!

"This is an example of a one hundred character post. As you can see it is very daunting to get up to."

"This, meanwhile, is an example of a two hundred character post. This is the minimum post length that is permitted in the life advice and roleplay boards; a bit of extra length, but still pretty short."

Nothing too terrible, right? Are you a bad enough pony to rise to the occasion and meet the challenge posed by the character limitations? Wooo-wheee.

All silliness aside, I fully expect there to be some grumpiness regarding this decision, but to be perfectly honest... we've had a number of people lament that the quality of the average post on the forum has gone downhill in recent months - something that is supported by the charts provided up top. Not only that, but we're getting a bit tired of constantly removing posts that are off-topic, contribute nothing to the topic at hand, or are otherwise pointless.

It is our belief that a reasonable character limit encourages people to actually put some thought into their posts:

• Instead of saying "I agree!" in response to another post, you must now provide a bit of extra content; such as why you agree with something.
  • Instead of saying "I like this!", you must now provide a bit of extra content, such as what you like.
  • Posts consisting solely of image macros, Youtube embeds, emoticons, or single words will no longer exist.
For those wondering why Life Advice features a two hundred character minimum rather than the comparatively standard minimum of one hundred... it is quite simply difficult to provide meaningful or otherwise thoughtful advice to someone with a microscopic post. It is our hope that the new minimum will encourage people to put more thought into their posts, and to hopefully prevent people from making quick and 'snappy' comebacks to things that they personally dislike, resulting in fewer Life Advice threads turning into oceans of angry red hidden posts. The same goes for Roleplay, really - we've actually received a number of complaints regarding the quality and length of the posts contained within it.

It is our hope that this change will result in an improved forum experience for all users.

• Brohoof 66

(edited)

Who's going to be the first person of this topic to post a one-word response?

Dammit, looks like it's not going to be me. Well, low-word count posts have been deleted at a good rate so this shouldn't cause too much of an outrage since we've been seeing it recently but who knows. I can't speak for others.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

A lock too....how fancy. You know my weakness of great Zoop. But could we bypass it? Just tried it. Eeyup. In any case, this SHOULD work well. I support you in the fullest.

Edited by DoubleFrenzyWithCheese

Criminy, I always hated when these things were imposed on other words I was on. I can understand wanting things to be at least ten words or so, but honestly, a lot of responses just cannot really merit one hundred character posts. And likely enough, people will get as close to that as possible (Try seeing people do iambic hexametre for the first time. That's the effect I mean).

• Brohoof 2

A lock too....how fancy. You know my weakness of great Zoop. But could we bypass it?.....................................................................................................................................

I should probably mention that blatant attempts at bypassing the minimums will not be smiled upon. :)
  • Brohoof 14

A lock too....how fancy. You know my weakness of great Zoop. But could we bypass it? Just tried it. Eeyup. In any case, this SHOULD work well. I support you in the fullest.

Oh, do not be mistaken. These things are notoriously easy to bypass.

Finally, I've been waiting for something like this.

I was getting sick of seeing low word posts and them somehow getting passed for being a legitamate one.

This is just what the forum needed.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

YES! Finally. Thanks you. I have actually thought about requesting this. I am happy that you set that you did this, not just because it will give the site better quality posts, but also because it will make myself think a little bit before I post something.

haha, nice tag you got there.

Edited by Mr. Pillow
  • Brohoof 3

Works for me. I'd mention something about how this could cause a problem here for pictures that need pictures and only pictures as a minimum, like 'best cute pony pictures', but even if the URL length combined with the tag didn't suffice, one can always say something about it, or use a second image.

Seems like a decent idea. Hopefully it works out.

• Brohoof 1

I can only imagine there will be an increase in "invisible" white text to bypass it lol

Trixie sucks and I do not like her very much. Boo on Trixie.

Hah! You white texted! Huzzah for hitting reply!

Well, almost everyone can white text and see white text, so it wouldn't be hard for the mods to eliminate white text posts.

I should probably mention that blatant attempts at bypassing the minimums will not be smiled upon. :)

I changed it. I should probably mention that I find it funny that you say it will not be smiled upon but throw in a smiling Pinkie.
  • Brohoof 1

Well, at least this'll force me to write more meaningful responses. I had no idea that I wrote short replies before the thing warned me. Uh, thanks, I guess.

There ARE non-blatant ways of doing it.

Of course - nothing is completely fool-proof, after all. Direct intervention will always be required in certain circumstances - we do have moderators, for a reason. The character minimum isn't meant to be a magic bullet that solves all problems so much as it is meant to help mitigate an increasingly unfortunate situation.
  • Brohoof 7

As a newer member I can honestly say this looks like a very promising rule, nothing can detriment a community more than flavorless responses of little to no effort.

Huzzah and Brohoof. :D

• Brohoof 3

Of course - nothing is completely foal-proof, after all. Direct intervention will always be required in certain circumstances - we do have moderators, for a reason. The character minimum isn't meant to be a magic bullet that solves all problems so much as it is meant to help mitigate an increasingly unfortunate situation.

Remember, Zoop, the moment you propose a challenge to people, someone will accept. Btw, quotes increase length :P

one can always say something about it

This. This right here. :P

If you're posting a cute image, say something about why you find it cute, or something. One hundred characters is less than a single full tweet, so it shouldn't be too difficult. :lol:

• Brohoof 4

This. This right here. :P

If you're posting a cute image, say something about why you find it cute, or something. One hundred characters is less than a single full tweet, so it shouldn't be too difficult. :lol:

Well, your posting thingy works, Zoop. I just had to add some words into a post of mine in an RP to make it long enough after I got a message saying the post was too short.

Three cheers for Zoop and his epic method of clearing up spam!