Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Minimum post lengths

Zoop

Look at all the people complaining about this.

Know the ironic thing?

The only people complaining are the people who write one sentence replies.

well ya who else is going to complain it does not effect anyone else besides us

Easy peasy: get more things to say about

If we can't really add anything to the discussion, might as well brohoof someone and leave the thread as it be.

This will lead to increased brohoofs and much cleaner topics. And more brohoofs = good because I heard that if you have 5,000 brohoofs, Feld0 comes over to your house dressed as Twilight Sparkle and hosts a party for you and 10 friends. Only good can come from this.
  • Brohoof 11

I personally think that roleplay posts should be brought down to 75-100, mainly because a lot of roleplays are character to character dialogue. Would you please consider at least reducing it to 150.

(edited)

I personally think that roleplay posts should be brought down to 75-100, mainly because a lot of roleplays are character to character dialogue. Would you please consider at least reducing it to 150.

RP World needs all the length it can get. A roleplayer shouldn't just post in-character dialogue and leave it at that. Add descriptions about what your character is doing, what they're feeling, their tone of voice. This is a key element of writing characters in itself. If you just post short snippets of dialogue, I'd recommend taking your roleplay to a chat or an IMing service. Roleplaying on forum boards is expected to be longer and of higher quality, not like a chatroom. Your posts are archived for everyone to see, so we expect some detail.

In short, I'd say the length is good where it is. It is designed that way to encourage roleplayers to try to put more detail into their writing and improve.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 7

Thank goodness something like this finally happened. I have to say I was quite concerned that the boards that were not meant for "lolz" posting, were suddenly being overrun with short posts that added little to the thread as a whole.

It isn't that I don't appreciate some carousing and banter from time to time, but I tested out the character counter, and I found that 200 characters is about 3 sentences. Honestly, if you can't at least post three sentences (or some equivalent amount of text) did your post really add much to the discussion?

I'll admit, I have done "macro only posts" before, but at least now the temptation to do so is much decreased.

i understand with the RP and art areas, but in other spots, like everfree, its kinda bullcrap to me,. ill go along with it just beacuse i understand the reasoning, but to me personally its just bull.

• Brohoof 1

We'd rather have fewer quality posts than a ton of pointless posts that don't really contribute anything.

Wait a minute, wasn't that what we already had :o

Anyways, I think that this rule may help in some places, but hinder in others. Places such as the 'what song are you listening to' thread could be a problem, as well as 'post all your funny/cute/etc pony pictures', but then again, these could be moved to Cloudsdale Colosseum, which could actually benefit the forum in some ways.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Atfirst I thought this would be nice, bit really in some sections it is just annoying. In some I think its needed, but really c'mon not all... And really its not to bad if some posts 'lack' content, like if people are doing it to get their post count up then maybe its bad but still not to bad.

Edit: and cant people just like tripple up on periods and stuff to "beat the system"...

Edited by Original

Edit: and cant people just like tripple up on periods and stuff to "beat the system"...

I'm pretty sure that if a user did this, they would get banned by the mods. It would count as a spammy post because of the extra dots, spaces and unnecessary punctuation.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm pretty sure that if a user did this, they would get banned by the mods. It would count as a spammy post because of the extra dots, spaces and unnecessary punctuation.

Well I actually use three dots all the time*...I seriously hope that I can still continue using them.

*Refers to nearly all of my posts ever.

Edited by Chigens and Kay

Well I actually use three dots all the time*...I seriously hope that I can still continue using them.

*Refers to nearly all of my posts ever.

If it was being used as an elipsis, then I'm pretty sure that they would let that go, but if it was someone who was adding random dots, extra spaces and white text, then that would probably lead to trouble...
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

This actually makes me a very happy person, at least as a Role-Player. With the longer posting requirements it allows for RPers to be able to do more with their posts and will require other players to provide more to bounce off of. Where I'm from, (RPwise) 200 characters isn't anything. Heck, a vast majority of the Role-play sites I come from have had 200 word minimums, not characters. While I realise something like that wouldn't really be possible on a forum like this as while there is role-play on the forum and it's heavily supported, Role-play is not the primary function of the board. (well, it is for me, but that's beside the point.)

Truth be told, I find it rather relieving that the posting requirements have been lengthened. Players have to start somewhere in the realm of RPing, and with a small posting minimal like this is just enough to get players to think a bit more about what there characters are actually doing and put life into the posts rather than a couple lines of dialogue. Granted I'll be the first to admit it's not always easy to come up with a decently long post because there are several other factors involve, but this is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I am a Role-Player, and I approve this change. *raised up coke class* To Role-Play!

Edited by Ice Storm
  • Brohoof 5

Wait a minute, wasn't that what we already had :o

Anyways, I think that this rule may help in some places, but hinder in others. Places such as the 'what song are you listening to' thread could be a problem, as well as 'post all your funny/cute/etc pony pictures', but then again, these could be moved to Cloudsdale Colosseum, which could actually benefit the forum in some ways.

A great way to continue posting on "post X thing you're listening to/watching/find funny/cute/etc/"-type threads where lots of media is shared is to include your thoughts on whatever you're posting.

For example, instead of simply pasting a YouTube video of a song into your post, write a few sentences on what you think about the song, whether you like it or not, etc. Shouldn't be hard - unless you're paying no attention whatsoever to the music (in which case, why are you listening to it?), you'll inevitably have some thoughts about it. Just share 'em. :)

Considering that our 100-character minimum is shorter than Twitter's maximum character limit, I am really doubtful that people won't be able to come up with something semi-meaningful to say. In the event that you cannot even get a 100-character reply together, considering aiming for those brohoof buttons instead of the post editor, as has been recommended several times already.

Atfirst I thought this would be nice, bit really in some sections it is just annoying. In some I think its needed, but really c'mon not all... And really its not to bad if some posts 'lack' content, like if people are doing it to get their post count up then maybe its bad but still not to bad.

In theory, yes. But any such attempts to "beat the system" will be subject to moderative discipline. Posts with unnecessary punctuation or other padding look even worse than one-word "lol" replies, so don't count on getting away with that.

This actually makes me a very happy person, at least as a Role-Player. With the longer posting requirements it allows for RPers to be able to do more with their posts and will require other players to provide more to bounce off of. Where I'm from, (RPwise) 200 characters isn't anything. Heck, a vast majority of the Role-play sites I come from have had 200 word minimums, not characters. While I realise something like that wouldn't really be possible on a forum like this as while there is role-play on the forum and it's heavily supported, Role-play is not the primary function of the board. (well, it is for me, but that's beside the point.)

Truth be told, I find it rather relieving that the posting requirements have been lengthened. Players have to start somewhere in the realm of RPing, and with a small posting minimal like this is just enough to get players to think a bit more about what there characters are actually doing and put life into the posts rather than a couple lines of dialogue. Granted I'll be the first to admit it's not always easy to come up with a decently long post because there are several other factors involve, but this is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I am a Role-Player, and I approve this change. *raised up coke class* To Role-Play!

Although I am not a roleplayer myself, I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the change. Roleplay World contains an awful lot of content; but just like the rest of the site, it isn't of much use if the content itself is crap. Well-written posts are worth reading through again long after they're made, which is one of the key aspects of forums that set them apart from more contemporary styles of social networks.

We are actually able to implement a word limit instead of (or in addition to) a character limit, per forum of course. It is something we considered, but we ended up going with character limits exclusively for now.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Can we get a character count so we can see how many characters we typed?

This would be useful to see if we can submit our post or not.

Edited by Mal (Starbolt)

Can we get a character count so we can see how many characters we typed?

This would be useful to see if we can submit our post or not.

We're working on that. Can't make any promises, but we're trying to make it happen.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

(note i have a short temper but it take a big thing to piss me off like this so the mastermind behind all this can pat them selfs on the back for what im about to say)

well i kindly life the middle finger to all of this, as i get the error even if i use more charactor then someone else.

also 200 limit for roleplaying what if my pony just needs to reply to a question? do i have to give a huge speech now, theres also the fact that i am a man of few words and i can likely get my poiny across in less then 5 words at time.

overall you have taken away my right to post and now im gona ensure my posts a shown by doing this :

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Edited by Klopp Pwny.
Removal of unnecessary amounts of "hue", expanding far beyond the chat box.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

also 200 limit for roleplaying what if my pony just needs to reply to a question? do i have to give a huge speech now, theres also the fact that i am a man of few words and i can likely get my poiny across in less then 5 words at time.

There are several ways of which you could easily break the 200 character minimum with a simple response to a question. Honestly, that's not that many words. Two-hundred characters is more often than not only two to three lines of text of a forum like this. You can easily acknowledge, answer a question, and follow up a response within 200 characters. All you have to do is be descriptive and put emotion and setting into a post. I have done several 800+ word posts where there are maybe two are three lines of dialogue in the entire post.

^^ that right there is a complete response to your question and that alone is 539 characters and 5 lines of text. And the point of this isn't just for Role-playing. It's about the quality of the discussion. The primary reason why I don't partake in the mane forums, is because of all the 4-5 word posts there that don't contribute anything more to the thread other than "I like this" or, "I don't like this." That's great, you don't like it, That's the only thing that we know and nothing useful has been contributed to the topic when it would be just as easy to type out. "I like this because of this..." or "I don't like this because of this..." It's the same exact thing, it gets the same exact point across, but now there is substance for the thread to thrive on and continue discussion rather than reading through four or five pages of posts that consist of "This is Awesome", "this sucks", or anything else of the like.

I personally think the rule is still too lax because 100 and 200 characters aren't hard to hit in a single post.

^^ that right there is 112 characters. It's not really THAT big of a change.

Edited by Ice Storm
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

There are several ways of which you could easily break the 200 character minimum with a simple response to a question. Honestly, that's not that many words. Two-hundred characters is more often than not only two to three lines of text of a forum like this. You can easily acknowledge, answer a question, and follow up a response within 200 characters. All you have to do is be descriptive and put emotion and setting into a post. I have done several 800+ word posts where there are maybe two are three lines of dialogue in the entire post.

^^ that right there is a complete response to your question and that alone is 539 characters and 5 lines of text. And the point of this isn't just for Role-playing. It's about the quality of the discussion. The primary reason why I don't partake in the mane forums, is because of all the 4-5 word posts there that don't contribute anything more to the thread other than "I like this" or, "I don't like this." That's great, you don't like it, That's the only thing that we know and nothing useful has been contributed to the topic when it would be just as easy to type out. "I like this because of this..." or "I don't like this because of this..." It's the same exact thing, it gets the same exact point across, but now there is substance for the thread to thrive on and continue discussion rather than reading through four or five pages of posts that consist of "This is Awesome", "this sucks", or anything else of the like.

I personally think the rule is still too lax because 100 and 200 characters aren't hard to hit in a single post.

^^ that right there is 112 characters. It's not really THAT big of a change.

It's not a lot to hit, but at the same time, we don't want to scare off too many members. A lot of our members seem to prefer... brevity. Though honestly, I am also quite capable of easily reaching 800+ words, even though I know many RPers here are not. It is my aim though to attempt to improve the overall roleplaying level to that of some other forums I've been to. Slowly over time. I do recall that a forum I used to go on had similar quality here, and then it increased as time went on. Maybe someday, people will be making 200 word posts there regularly.

Also, there IS the possibility it could change in the future. For now, we're just going to start off slow rather than sudden.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough

Honestly, why are some people so rustled by this change?

Do people not realize that saying "lol that's cool" is not adding to a conversation at all?

But with our new limit, there is a MUCH higher chance of posts being relevant in threads, which will lead in more discussion, which + for the thread.

I will never understand why a minimum post count is such a bad thing, but eh.

Do people not realize that saying "lol that's cool" is not adding to a conversation at all?

But with our new limit, there is a MUCH higher chance of posts being relevant in threads, which will lead in more discussion, which + for the thread.

maybe at least for me i dont talk much never have and when i do talk it is most of the time short also am bad at english so i cant think of alot of stuff to right in english but thats for me

maybe at least for me i dont talk much never have and when i do talk it is most of the time short also am bad at english so i cant think of alot of stuff to right in english but thats for me

But the thing is, you just did it now? It isn't that hard to make a character letter post length at all.
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

well im gona use an example for why im annoyed

on your recent thread this was what i was trying to say note this was before idecide to start spamming hue

"wow thats alot of votes for yellow, time to be random and vote for emerald" i did vote for emerald but i couldnt post that even tho people on your thread were posting much less.

theres also the fact i am a man of few word i get my point out and if i need to add more i'll edit

theres also the RP im in were i did 2 whole paragraphs for and then i got the error again and all of it was deleted.

so im gona keep spaming hue at the end of every thing i say because for some reason my posts dont make it though other wise.

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog <- i tryed posting the above but it didnt work so i add this hopefully it will now

Edit: yay

Edited by PonyEcho

When I first read the title of this, I honestly thought "This can't be good", but after reading through it, it's actually quite reasonable.

I'm one of those guys that constantly goes over the 140 limit on Twitter, so it shouldn't be too hard for me (Or anyone else for that matter)

• Brohoof 2