Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(not so) Common Sense

I used to be a stranger

(edited)

Common sense isn't.

Despite our best interests and efforts, the blatantly obvious and simple is often foregone by completely normal people or bronies for elaborate and wastefully hilarious weird things that happen.

Case in point: I once crossed a bridge that spanned the Fraiser, but realized 3/4s of the way across that I didn't need to [and why was I crossing the bridge anyways?] so I continued across, walked around the intersection and went back across on the other side, and only once I got back did I realize that I forgot I could've turned around on the sidewalk and walked in the opposite direction. Because people aren't cars. They can turn around on the spot.

I'm sure everyone has their own silly stories about lapses in judgement.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

I think we've pretty much kissed the concept of common sense goodbye when conflict first appeared in our world.

So, basically, common sense has been a contradictory term forever.

(edited)

People have too many options to choose from today compared to our 1770s counterparts. With too many options comes more opportunity to overlook the simplest and obvious one.

Back then it was like: hmm, walk or take the horse and carriage into town? Even though the weather is quite hot, I only have one outfit of trousers and shirt.

Today's it's like: hmm, walk, bike, bus, drive, or have my bff pick me up? Hold on who should I text, Carla or Max? But I want to be back by 3:00 to watch the Jersey Shore marathon. Ugh, what should I wear? Flip-flops make my feet hurt and these shorts are dirty.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

Today's it's like: hmm, walk, bike, bus, drive, or have my bff pick me up? Hold on who should I text, Carla or Max? But I want to be back by 3:00 to watch the Jersey Shore marathon. Ugh, what should I wear? Flip-flops make my feet hurt and these shorts are dirty.

This is where "wearing socks and sandals at the same time" comes from. I will not speculate whether or not actually wearing socks and sandals at the same time is a good or horrible thing.

People have too many options to choose from today compared to our 1770s counterparts. With too many options comes more opportunity to overlook the simplest and obvious one.

Back then it was like: hmm, walk or take the horse and carriage into town? Even though the weather is quite hot, I only have one outfit of trousers and shirt.

While there are many more options today, how can it be said that the options were any more simpler or obvious than those of today? In the end it's just an arbitrary decision.

Everyone's life is one big conflict between their better, more rational selves and the world that influences their decisions, not to mention their own personality tics.

I have no idea why it's called common sense when so few people have it or use it. I've done stupid stuff, stuff that was obviously stupid and i shouldn't have done. But i guess you learn from those mistakes, sometimes anyway.