Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About parasprite reproduction

Killian Jones

Recently when thinking of Fibonacci numbers and how they relate to how populations grow I remembered something about the parasprites. More importantly, about the life span of a parasprite, and the length of time needed for a parasprite to reproduce itself. This topic isn't about how this will occur, but merely about number growth and how disastrous the effect is of the growth.

We have to remember, Fluttershy came back to Ponyville, initially carrying one. and when she got to Sugarcube corner, the parasprites had already tripled. And let's assume she found a mature one so over the course of 2 hours, the population can times 3.

After some mathematical table manipulation, let us assume that population growth is 3n/2 . Meaning that after a full day of having parasprites, ie 24 hours you have about 531.441 parasprites in existence.

Now you can start seeing how this is problematic if parasprites have a relatively long life of even a single day.

So some questions I wish to pose.

• How long do you think a parasprite survives? Is it like a fruit fly, or is it closer to that of some larger animals like rats?
  • Do parasprites reach an age where they cannot reproduce anymore? As to mitigate population explosion. And I do mean population explosion, because one day turns one parasprite into half a million of them.
  • Or lastly, do you think that it is merely a gremlin problem, where parasprites will rapidly reproduce when fed? If so do you believe the Everfree forest is lacking in delicious parasprite food or simply has a natrual predator to take care of the increasing population?
I hope some of you take the points I made into consideration, and no, this topic should not discuss how parasprites make more of themselves.
  • Brohoof 1

I would say a Parapsirtie exists for as long as they have food. In the episode, we could see the same Parasprites just eating away at the town constantly. I wouldn't say they could die as easy as regular flies, although they reproduce so quickly you could hardly notice it.

I wouldn't say they could reach an age where reproduction isn't possible, seeing as they simply just spit out another friend every few minutes. It would really just come natural, maybe a never ending thing (until they die, at least)

I would say that they ARE gremlins, in a way. Give them food, they multiply. Give them a town, they turn into a menace. Power in numbers, just like the gremlins.

I say perhaps there's animals that live in the Everfree Forest, who are predators to the Parapsirties eating thousands of them a day to reduce their numbers.

Perhaps they are like locusts in the sense that they are easily impeded by wind. In that case the wind would be keeping them away (perhaps the pegasi could contribute). Of course a strong shift could easily bring them back :huh:. On that note, the life span of a locust is 3-5 months so maybe it could be the same for the parasprite. And, of course, locusts tend to breed more when there is more food so all that food could have been contributing to their rapid increase.

i think the moment they eat somthing it digests the food and the produting waste is another parasprite (eeewww poor Rarity)

how ever it isnt a spesific food, it can be anything.

Perhaps they are like locusts in the sense that they are easily impeded by wind. In that case the wind would be keeping them away (perhaps the pegasi could contribute). Of course a strong shift could easily bring them back :huh:. On that note, the life span of a locust is 3-5 months so maybe it could be the same for the parasprite. And, of course, locusts tend to breed more when there is more food so all that food could have been contributing to their rapid increase.

Yeah I always thought this was how it worked

This also is similar to the show when rainbow dash managed to trap them in a tornado and almost take them to the forest.

Parasprites are the direct linear descendants (Rip-off!) of Tribbles, which are in turn the direct linear descendants (Rip-off!) of Martian Flat Cats from Robert Heinlein's 1952 book "The Rolling Stones". All three reproduce simply by eating too much. Flat cats can be rendered dormant without harming them by freezing.

Posted Image

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

From what I've seen, the parasprites appear to be born pregnant.

It's quite a timesaver really.

They are not born pregnant. What we have here is a rare example of budding. The downside to this reproductive techniques is that it possesses limited variability in genes. It is, non the less, the fastest method of reproduction. The life span could be anything, but I expect that it is brief. Food would be required for the budding process to take place as it uses energy like any other form of reproduction.

They are not born pregnant. What we have here is a rare example of budding. The downside to this reproductive techniques is that it possesses limited variability in genes. It is, non the less, the fastest method of reproduction. The life span could be anything, but I expect that it is brief. Food would be required for the budding process to take place as it uses energy like any other form of reproduction.

You're probably right. What I said was what Dr. McCoy said about tribbles.