Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kinvara

I guess the question/discussion I'm trying to get going here is...

Since background ponies like DJ-Pon3, Lyra, Octavia etc. aren't characterized in the show, what do you think their personalities, interests, daily lives etc. are like?

Well, this is what I know from seeing the show I could be wrong. Derpy is a moving pony and Bon Bon is a gardner. Thats all I know.

Don' forget that Lyra also attends(attended?) the same school that Twilight does as she waves to Twilight in the first episode. As to what her business is in Ponyville is beyond me, maybe she dropped out? Edited by Leatherneck

Don' forget that Lyra also attends(attended?) the same school that Twilight does as she waves to Twilight in the first episode. As to what her business is in Ponyville is beyond me, maybe she dropped out?

Or she was sent by Celestia to secretly keep an eye on her star pupil. Really, it's a great disguise. Sitting human-style on a park bench, looking like any normal background pony. But Twilight.... she's watching you. :ph34r:

Regarding Derpy:

I actually heard that Derpy worked at the post office, and that she was assisting those movers for some sort of delivery. Could be wrong of course, but that's what I heard.

When Vinyl Scratch isn't being a DJ, she's usually busy composing new songs and preparing for shows. In her spare time she likes to hang out with her good friend Tavi (Octavia) and discuss music theory. She's been trying to get Tavi to do a show with her but she absolutely refuses to play such "juvenile noise".

Edited by APPLBL00M

I see Vinyl Scratch as the DJ that's also working through college. She seems like the type that's always doing something, schoolwork, gigs, or partying. It would be a stressful life, but she would enjoy it.

I do see Derpy as being the postmare or whatever. The only thing we have to go off is when she dropped all those things on Twilight in Feeling Pinkie Keen, so it seems that if would fit here well. Although, I don't like how some of the fans tend to see her as border-line retarded.

And Octavia spends every minute of her day playing music and practicing to become the best. After all, not just anypony is skilled to play at the Gala.

Edited by ryak
  • Brohoof 1

Seafoam is invited to the Gala, so must have connections. But is she ever seen in Ponyville? Could just have arrived at the palace at the same time as Twilight and co but come from somewhere far distant, tho probably not Manehattan since she's not dressed all posh with coiffured hair.

I envision Derpy as a shatterbrained girly-girl, with no attention span, but a big heart. Perhaps a bit immature. Just a really fun mare to be around. ^_^

Lyra I see as a somewhat chaotic pony; an energic tomboy, with no care for others' opinions, but completely in the power of her emotions. Bon Bon I see as her opposite, caring a lot about her own appearance and generally a bit of a valley girl, perhaps with some jerk-tendencies, but genuinely nice if one gets to know her.

With Octavia, I completely go with the idea that she's Pinkie Pie's sister, so I think she's trying her best to become a stoic upper-class mare and leave her time on the rock farm behind. I still believe she loves her family very much, she might just think they're in the way of her career.

Then there's the almost completely unknown background pony, known as Lotus Blossom (or Frou Frou, depending on who you ask). She's the mare who got her mane ruined by the CMC in "The Show Stoppers" and ran away screaming... in a squeaky voice. I fell in love with her at once and immediately found a personality for her: due to her unusual voice, Lotus has a hard time being taken seriously, so one day when she was a filly, she simply stopped trying. From then on, she just did whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted and used her wits and unique charm to get what she wanted. She makes a living of singing the strangest songs, but for the most part just travels around Equestria, having a blast. For added cool, lotus flowers actually symbolize getting through a rough patch in your life and moving on. Her cutie mark, being one of these, symbolize her ability to make the best of any situation.

Haven't really given the other known BG's much thought, but I love all the different fan-interpretions. :D

I do see Derpy as being the postmare or whatever. The only thing we have to go off is when she dropped all those things on Twilight in Feeling Pinkie Keen, so it seems that if would fit here well. Although, I don't like how some of the fans tend to see her as border-line retarded.

Just because she's clumsy doesn't mean she's impaired. She's just... ditzy.

I completely agree with both of you. She can't be disabled like that and still have the jobs she's had. She clearly has enough intellect to be able to a.)deliver packages (Feeling Pinkie Keen) b.) have fashion sense(Green Is Not Your Color) c.) Be trusted year after year with getting the southern birds (Winter Wrap-up)

Having been a bit of a f*&k-up before I can relate with that scenario. She's likely very eager to prove herself however finds herself overwhelmed by the situations she gets herself into. That being the case, I imagine she is also a very hard worker, just not the most skilled worker.

Lyra I see as a somewhat chaotic pony; an energic tomboy, with no care for others' opinions, but completely in the power of her emotions. Bon Bon I see as her opposite, caring a lot about her own appearance and generally a bit of a valley girl, perhaps with some jerk-tendencies, but genuinely nice if one gets to know her.

In every scene where Bon Bon ever speaks, she comes across as kind of a b#tch. In both Call of The Cutie and Green Is Not Your Color she acts very rudely. In The Ticket Master she(like many other ponies, including Derpy) act kind of stalker-ish with Twilight, which she did again in Green is Not Your Color when Fluttershy's disguise fell apart. Lyra on the other hand was the first to cry when a parasprite ate her piece of pie, Bon Bon was simply shocked that it had happened. I am of the opinion that Lyra is likely the kinder and gentler pony of the two. We all know of Twilight's inclination towards being anti-social, however that didn't stop Lyra from waving to Twilight in a warm and friendly manner when Twilight ran by her. So I am sorry to disagree, but I think the reality regarding Lyra is quite the opposite of what you assert. ;) Edited by Leatherneck
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, people tend to believe she's retarded merely because of her eyes. I see Dǝrpy as a strange, silly pony, who has equal the amount of intelligence as everypony else, maybe even more. She's just a tad absent-minded at times.

Lyra on the other hand was the first to cry when a parasprite ate her piece of pie, Bon Bon was simply shocked that it had happened. I am of the opinion that Lyra is likely the kinder and gentler pony of the two. We all know of Twilight's inclination towards being anti-social, however that didn't stop Lyra from waving to Twilight in a warm and friendly manner when Twilight ran by her. So I am sorry to disagree, but I think the reality regarding Lyra is quite the opposite of what you assert. ;)

Not necessarily. I don't think of Lyra as gentle, she seems very forward in everything she does (waving to someone she should know by now wouldn't wave back, crying as soon as she felt sad, etc.), but I wasn't trying to imply that she's unkind. My idea of her being a tomboy stems from her unkempt mane - she might be into sports, like Rainbow Dash and not bother combing it, since she'll soon be off doing whatever she does again. She's got those funny/strange/human-like poses, that would imply she doesn't care what others think (Bon Bon being, as you said, kind of a b*tch, would have told her it looks odd) and "in the power of her emotions" wasn't ment to imply that she's a hot-head (I can't picture her as one at all), but rather that she acts the way she feels without thinking (such as before-mentioned crying).

It's just different ways to interpret the same actions. ^_^

Yeah there was a bunch of talk on EQD not long ago (I think maybe one of the interviews) that Derpy might have a talking role in one of the upcoming episodes. That would certainly be interesting to see.

Yeah there was a bunch of talk on EQD not long ago (I think maybe one of the interviews) that Derpy might have a talking role in one of the upcoming episodes. That would certainly be interesting to see.

Yeah I think thats where I heard it. Wonder what she sounds like.

With Octavia, I completely go with the idea that she's Pinkie Pie's sister, so I think she's trying her best to become a stoic upper-class mare and leave her time on the rock farm behind. I still believe she loves her family very much, she might just think they're in the way of her career.

That's interesting.

Posted Image

In my opinion, they don't look enough alike in order to make that conclusion, but I suppose it's all up to personal interpretation.

I think it's pretty obvious that Octavia is one of the stuck-up stickler-to-manners sort of pers- er, pony. But knowing how the ponyverse seems to work, she would probably have one very strange or defining character "flaw". Like, being an obnoxious drunk or something.

... I want to see a drunk Octy now.

Edited by Bloomberg

Lets see here:

Ditzy/Derpy: I think of her as kind and hardworking, but a bit scatterbrained. She daydreams or just gets lost in thought and forgets what she was supposed to do. I do enjoy Dinky stories, but I see Ditzy as the same age as the mane 6, or even younger.

Lyra: She is often very happy and energetic in crowd scenes. She is very friendly and social, and doesn't care what others think of her. She does her own thing. Her talent must have something to do with music, either instructing or playing. She grew up in Canterlot, then moved out on her own. She is trying to find her place in the world.

Bon Bon: An older, motherly figure (I don't mean she is a mother, just that she acts that way). She owns a confectionary shop or stand. Gardening is just a hobby. She can be a bit self centered and goes along with fads (she is a fan of Fluttershy as a model). Friends with several ponies in Ponyville, like Carrot Top and Colgate. I see her as the town gossip.

Colgate: Either a dentist or dentists assistant. Cutie mark means she is punctual?

Carrot Top: Has her own garden and sells carrots at a stall in the market.

Edited by Slendermane