Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Racism towards earth ponies

Motion Spark

DISCLAIMER: I don't want to get into a polemical discussion and controversial matters, I made this thread just to see different sides of ponies opinions, please remain this talk friendly and civil ;)

So, I noticed that in these forums, and in the fandom in general, people normally prefer having pegasus and unicorns OC's (even alicorns) rather than earth ponies, even myself included, at first I don't remember why I wanted an unicorn, but i'm fine with Motion being an earth pony, he's an artist and he doesn't need magic to achieve his goals (now I kind of wish he was an earth pony but I can't change him, it's too late).

the show made earth ponies look like slaves in my opinion, with the most "denigrating" jobs of all (but still importand), like vegetables harvesters? please, a pegasus can do that too!, when the pegasus can fly and control the weather and unicorns have magic.

I think earth ponies are as cool as pegasus and unicorns, but the show doesn't portrait that very well. And people in the fandom, don't do that either. what's your opinion? thoughts?

discussion time!

• Brohoof 9

My avatar is an earth pony but my main OC is actually a pegasi. I noticed the lack of earth ponies in the fanbase's OCs but I find it understandable.

I don't know why you say that the show denigrates earth ponies. Seriously, the earth pony ratio is enormous (about 60% of Ponyville are Earth Ponies). Applejack is a farmer because it's her family's business, not really because she's an earth pony. Also, the earth ponies buck the hardest so it's an easy job for them to make the apples fall quickly. We also got the Cakes that own a pastry business. Now, that really doesn't have anything to do with their race, it's their talent. In my opinion, earth ponies should be especially good with the earth and things like that, hence the farming jobs. In the Last Roundup, the rodeo ponies were all earth ponies. My explication for this would be that earth ponies use their leg muscles way more than other races. Unicorns normally use magic while pegasi use their wings instead. That's why earth ponies do rodeo while others do not.

I don't really think the show is racist toward earth ponies, it's just that they can't control the weather or do magic so they do basic jobs.

• Brohoof 4

I was going to make Dusty an Earth pony, but I really like the look of wings on him. I have to agree with you though. Earth ponies seem to get the worst of all the kinds.

In my opinion earth ponies are just a bit too "op" since they are the only ones who want to farm and are really good at it. Sure unicorns and pegasi can farm if they wanted to and try'd really hard, but the fact is that they don't want to, they just simply don't want to. Which is a problem considering that they are all herbivores. If the earth ponies went extinct and the the other races were forced to try and farm themselves they'd probably be horrible at it and end up dying out or become omnivores or carnivores which I don't think they'd do, they might rather just die out than becoming monsters. However if the two other races became instinct the earth ponies probably be just fine and build machines to replace them and we'd end up with an awesome steampunk suburbia.

The only reason my oc is a pegasus is because it fits his personality better, and that's the ONLY reason :)

Edited by Franksta

Most don't like earth ponies as much because Unicorns and Pegasi have everything an earth pony has and more (Unicorn has a horn for magic, pegasus has wings). So naturally people like the ponies with more.. accessories you could say. In show, I don't notice a huge hate towards earth ponies.

Edited by Scootabloom
  • Brohoof 3

I don't know. In the show Applejack is an earth pony and to me she is portrayed as one of the strongest characters on the show! She is dignified and overall respected throughout Ponyville.

Edited by Lightning Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 4

DISCLAIMER: I don't want to get into a polemical discussion and controversial matters, I made this thread just to see different sides of ponies opinions, please remain this talk friendly and civil ;)

So, I noticed that in these forums, and in the fandom in general, people normally prefer having pegasus and unicorns OC's (even alicorns) rather than earth ponies, even myself included, at first I don't remember why I wanted an unicorn, but i'm fine with Motion being an earth pony, he's an artist and he doesn't need magic to achieve his goals (now I kind of wish he was an earth pony but I can't change him, it's too late).

the show made earth ponies look like slaves in my opinion, with the most "denigrating" jobs of all (but still importand), like vegetables harvesters? please, a pegasus can do that too!, when the pegasus can fly and control the weather and unicorns have magic.

I think earth ponies are as cool as pegasus and unicorns, but the show doesn't portrait that very well. And people in the fandom, don't do that either. what's your opinion? thoughts?

discussion time!

Actually, in the hearth warming eve episode, they say that ONLY the earth ponies can grow food, just as much as how only unicorns can do magic. I've also heard (though I'm not sure where) that earth ponies are supposed to be 2-3x stronger than any other type of pony.

My avatar is an earth pony but my main OC is actually a pegasi. I noticed the lack of earth ponies in the fanbase's OCs but I find it understandable.

I don't know why you say that the show denigrates earth ponies. Seriously, the earth pony ratio is enormous (about 60% of Ponyville are Earth Ponies). Applejack is a farmer because it's her family's business, not really because she's an earth pony. Also, the earth ponies buck the hardest so it's an easy job for them to make the apples fall quickly. We also got the Cakes that own a pastry business. Now, that really doesn't have anything to do with their race, it's their talent. In my opinion, earth ponies should be especially good with the earth and things like that, hence the farming jobs. In the Last Roundup, the rodeo ponies were all earth ponies. My explication for this would be that earth ponies use their leg muscles way more than other races. Unicorns normally use magic while pegasi use their wings instead. That's why earth ponies do rodeo while others do not.

I don't really think the show is racist toward earth ponies, it's just that they can't control the weather or do magic so they do basic jobs.

yeah you're right, in the show, most of the ponies are earth ponies, but this discussion is more centered in the fandom, going back to the show, they portrait earth ponies lifes really boring if you ask me, the show make rainbow dash look SUPER AWESOME compared to Applejack. Pinkie Pie is the only exception becasue she can break the 4th wall.

Actually, in the hearth warming eve episode, they say that ONLY the earth ponies can grow food, just as much as how only unicorns can do magic. I've also heard (though I'm not sure where) that earth ponies are supposed to be 2-3x stronger than any other type of pony.

focus onto reality for a second, unicorns and pegasus can grow food too, they have hooves...however earth ponies can't control weather and use magic

It's true, Earth Ponies do appear to be discriminated, but the fact that they are the only species that can grow things is impressive, not to mention they've got to be stronger as well, considering they have to do everything the hard way.

Nonetheless, I feel that they should definitely be respected more.

• Brohoof 4

Just be Pinkie Pie.

I think they have just as much importance as any other pony race. I really don't know why I made Thunderstorm a pegasi, but I did. I have six OCs (My mane being Thunderstorm) two being Earth ponies. Everypony is special in their own way. I think all ponies are one :3

• Brohoof 1

I think most people prefer unicorns because you can still have them do things that would require hands in fanart and such,

that's what I thought at first, but I recall, Rarity for example, grabbing items with her mouth at multiple times

Well the problem with earth ponies as far as the show goes is there isn't much you can do to make them standout compared to pegasi and unicorns. We've never really seen what the earth ponies brand of magic can do. Faust referred to it as a more subtle form of magic and for most people subtle is boring.

Edited by brian577
  • Brohoof 2

that's what I thought at first, but I recall, Rarity for example, grabbing items with her mouth at multiple times

Maybe they only use their horns for actions to precise to use their mouth for? Like Rarity's sewing, or Twilight turning pages in a book.

i think the main reason is most earth ponies work in fields and run food stores but i dont see why there is not more earth pony oc's i mean some great underdog fan-fic could be written about earth ponies to

You can be an earth pony! Just cut your horn off. :P

Anyways, I look at it this way.

Alicorns are in government and royalty.

Unicorns are known for being the rich, the filthy rich ones, and upper middle class.

Pegasus are middle class.

Earth Ponies are middle, lower middle, and working class.

Not saying that's bad, it's just like a caste system.

A great example would be Applejack, a Unicorn could get half the work done she gets done, because she isn't afraid to get her hooves dirty. Pinkie Pie is completely random and breaks all laws of physics and logic.

Yeah, must be miserable to have your OC be an Earth pony.

hmmm...thinking about it, in the show, earth ponies have a somewhat good spot, they are not outstanding (except for Applejack, for being a great athlete and all), but they have a good place...

in the fandom is the total opposite, earth ponies are extremelly underrated and ignored, and I feel that that's not fair

You can be an earth pony! Just cut your horn off. :P

it's not that easy, I already have an identity as an unicorn...it would be weird if I change Motion to an earth pony (my siggy wouldn't have any sense! XD)
  • Brohoof 1

it's not that easy, I already have an identity as an unicorn...it would be weird if I change Motion to an earth pony (my siggy wouldn't have any sense! XD)

(unrelated) I adore your sig.

hmmm...thinking about it, in the show, earth ponies have a somewhat good spot, they are not outstanding (except for Applejack, for being a great athlete and all), but they have a good place...

in the fandom is the total opposite, earth ponies are extremelly underrated and ignored, and I feel that that's not fair

Exactly, most bronies don't like earth ponies, because they can't fly, they can't do magic, well, who cares, sure my OC is a Pegasus, but I respect the earth ponies, we need more attention. On the other hand a certain Earth pony with a vibe of getting drunk is gaining more and more popularity.

• Brohoof 1

(unrelated) I adore your sig.

Exactly, most bronies don't like earth ponies, because they can't fly, they can't do magic, well, who cares, sure my OC is a Pegasus, but I respect the earth ponies, we need more attention. On the other hand a certain Earth pony with a vibe of getting drunk is gaining more and more popularity.

I love my sig too ;)

who is that earth pony? :o the only drunk ass I know is Raibow Dash and she is a pegasus

Well, time for an earth pony's perspective. My main OC is an earth pony, and I made him a traveling scholar who was born to a mining family. I like earth ponies because they do honest work. The more important jobs are held by earth ponies. What's more important, clothes in a world where it's ok to be naked, or food?

who is that earth pony? :o the only drunk ass I know is Raibow Dash and she is a pegasus

Uh, really? Berry Punch needs more love....

I love my sig too ;)

Berry Punch, the last few months I've noticed an explosion in fan art and popularity on Deviantart, specifically because she is drunk in almost all of them. :P

Finally, a new Earth pony equivalent to match the popularity of Derpy and DJ-pon3.

Wait.

Dr.Whooves

Octavia

Bon Bon

All are Earth ponies loved by most. :D

• Brohoof 1

Berry Punch, is not really Berry Punch...

Huh? What do you mean by that? It's what people call her. Does she have a name I'm unaware of?

Huh? What do you mean by that? It's what people call her. Does she have a name I'm unaware of?

that name wasn't given by the fandom?

Berry Punch, the last few months I've noticed an explosion in fan art and popularity on Deviantart, specifically because she is drunk in almost all of them. :P

Finally, a new Earth pony equivalent to match the popularity of Derpy and DJ-pon3.

Wait.

Dr.Whooves

Octavia

Bon Bon

All are Earth ponies loved by most. :D

Octavia is extremelly popular, but this is from OC's perspectives
  • Brohoof 1

I don't have any OC's, but I do sometimes like to draw the (human) characters I made up for a book/TV show thing I'm working on in pony form. There are 12 of them all together, so I spread it out pretty evenly when I ponified them (four unicorns, four pegasi and four earth ponies). Now that I think about, my two least favorites of my characters (although I like all of them!) are both earth ponies. Then again, one of my favorites is also an earth pony, so :shrug:

I agree though, you don't see many OCs that are Earth Ponies, perhaps because they are seen as less "special."