Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why do you like the music you listen to?

Music Chart Fan

This is a difficult question which I have struggled with when I try to explain why I tend to like pop/rock music from previous decades over more recently released music (and why, of today's music, I like adult pop/rock over mainstream pop/hip-hop).

First, to me, the music matters much more than lyrics or the meaning of a song. Particularly poignant lyrics may add to my liking of a song, and really shallow or disgusting lyrics detract from my liking of a song, but overall, as long as the lyrics are passable, that is enough for me.

When it comes to the music, I like memorable riffs and melodies (the kind that get stuck in my head). Songs that take a lot of production and songs with many instruments and many different parts/riffs are particularly good, since on repeat listenings I can pick out different things to pay attention to, but these are not necessary for my liking of a song. I also particularly like songs with complex chord progressions that ebb and flow, create tension and release, and draw forth emotion.

With these things in mind, I like songs of many different genres, tempos, moods, instrumentation, etc. But I have found that pop hits of prior decades have more of these things that I like than most of today's mainstream pop/hip-hop music, which seems shallow, overly repetitive, and unmemorable to me. I do recognize that I probably am biased in this judgment since I have listened to older music my whole life and have likely been conditioned to like it more.

What do you like and look for in the music you listen to?

So long as i can get into the music, I dont really care what I listen to. Dubstep, country, rock, metal, techno, Nickleback...etc etc. I like individual songs, not genres ^_^

I like the music I listen to because it's fast, it's aggressive, and most of all when I discovered it, it made me feel good to listen to. The idea behind how pounding drums and fast as fuck guitar pounding my ears was a good feeling, and still is today.

• Brohoof 1

I like Electronic Music because I get a feeling of freedom when hearing it

This song gives me that feeling the most :3

I know this sounds too cliche :blush:

but It's all I got at the moment :(

I listen predominately to metal.

(Not american metal. I don't like most of it that I've heard.)

Specifically, folk, power, black, viking and symphonic metal.

Folk/Viking metal: Melodies. They are glorious. Also, folk instruments go really with with electric guitar,somehow.

Example bands: Korpikaani, Eluveite, older Elvenking, Ensiferum, Tyr

Power metal: The songs are fast, catchy, and upbeat. They fill me with energy.

Example bands: Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Van Canto

Black Metal: Black metal creates an atmosphere and feeling, unable to be replicated by other genres, and even other art forms.

I have to be in a particular mood to listen to it though.

Example bands: Enslaved, Evilfeast

Symphonic Metal: I love the melodies, and the epicness of hearing choirs and orchestras in my metal.

Example bands: Rhapsody of Fire, Therion, Epica

And Wintersun. They're a bit of a lot of things.

They're just orgasmic. Just listen to it.

Power-folk- melodic death-symphonic orgy of eargasms.

I only recently was pondering this, so it's kind of still stuck in my head.

Really, I only choose the "hardcore electronic" genres out of all of them -- J-core (Japanese Hardcore) being my favourite. I'm very enthusiastic about my music, so I've got quite a good bit of content to add to WHY I like it.

Well, Hardcore Electronic in its entirety is faster paced, simpler in terms of bass + percussion, and very... hardcore (hardy har har (get it? hardy har har... har...core..? I give up)). The bass kicks typically stay in their designated 1/4 beat position, and very rarely go anywhere else. Really, the bass is only there to be... there. Because bass is cool. To me, bass isn't the focus at all. I'm no basshead. What I really love is the way Hardcore climbs. The build-ups are typically the most exciting, because they're faster than, say, dance or dubstep, and in the genre, voice cutting (taking little samples of voices (usually just vowel sounds)) is pretty common, and whenever the bass is about to drop in, and the lead synths are about to go all out, the vocal comes in and actually sing, and for some reason, this just gives me chills. I don't even know what it is that's so awesome about it.

Example of that vocal stuff:

http-~~-//youtu.be/GLXFbugc6gg

Usually in the HC genres, there's just that kick, and then that bassline coming up right after. I love square basslines, and HC usually has a lot of 'em. The hi-hats always going in the background is comforting, and the 1/2 beat snare being there, too? Just great. I love how orderly the bass, snare, and other percussion-like sounds are. Dubstep's common 2-step set-up really sounds messy to me. Anything that isn't as orderly as HC just seems... sloppy, to me. So, order is an appeal to me.

The reason I love J-core the most is because of the language, of course. That's why it's "J"-core, because of the Japanese language (well there's other reasons why it's "j-core", but that's not important). English is... a very sloppy language, really. There's many, many different sounds one speaks when speaking English. There's also the accent stressing of syllables in English. English speakers are constantly speaking faster or louder between syllables, because that's how the language is set up. Japanese, however, has a pitch-based stressing system. In Japanese, to stress syllables, they speak with higher pitch or lower pitch. The syllables are all pronounced at the same speed, and the syllables themselves, are not very numerous to begin with. There's only five vowels, a i u e and o, and there's only one way to pronounced each of them in any word. Then, in Japanese, the syllables are really only made of adding one or two letters in front of those vowels. "Neko" (cat) Ne - ko. Pretty simple. "Inu" (dog) I - nu. "Wakarimasu" (to understand) Wa - ka - ri - ma - su. You get the picture. It's a very simply structured language, in terms of this, and it's also very orderly, neat, and tidy, which only compliments the structure of the hardcore genre. Putting them together really only makes for a masterpiece. So, again, order. Appeals to me.

Of course, though, I cannot forget about the lead synths and whatnot. Anything really works. Anything. The leads are usually the most daring of the components, usually. They sometimes skip into 1/3 notes, and of course, stick to 1/4 and 1/8 notes as well. The melodies are typically uplifting, and seem to suspend me in mid-air (I like to think music in a visual sense, sometimes). There's also a few random noises and whatnot going off in the background, but they're also very nice and tidy and organised like the rest of the genre.

The genre is faster, more organised, and always moving. Whenever it does slow down, it's really only to add in a huge climb later on, or to add in some touching lyrics (but in my case, lyrics don't mean much, because I don't speak Japanese). Speed, exictement, organisation and pattern, while still having spice to it, relying mostly on harmony and melodies, is what appeals to me, and hardcore seems to be the best for me. Especially J-core. Especially whenever the lyrics are extremely "kawaii uguu nyan desu kyaa~".

Sorry for the wall of text. I really would have written more, but I figured that would just be annoying. I'm just enthusiastic about music. :J

TL;DL - el oh el i lyke tekno cuz it iz fun

Edited by Sugar Plum
  • Brohoof 1

I also Like to listen to some J-core music because it's mostly fast paced Kawaii music and I like the whole Cutesy music because it makes me happy and I like to be happy :3

Edited by ds8

I'm a metal fan for a couple of reasons; one is the melodies created by extremely heavy and layered guitars. (I'm talking gothenburg metal, melodic death metal, and some metalcore mind you.) It's almost a contradiction in itself, yet there's nothing quite like hearing a beautiful melody - brutalized. :P

Second is the growling and screaming vocals. The lyrics themselves are generally umimportant, but the actual vocals bring a lot to a good metal song. The level at which they are performed brings a unique intensity to a song, you can tell they're really into it.

Which brings me to another point; the intensity of the emotions. You combine the brutal guitars, the speed drumming and harsh vocals together, and it creates a musical experience unlike any other. You can almost feel the exact meaning and intent of the song as it is played, and it just gets you pumped up. :P And though I said lyrics are generally unimportant earlier, get the right ones with the right song, and it's just unreal.

I'm horrible at explaining these things. Just listen to some early In Flames, some Parkway Drive or At the Gates and have an eargasm :D

Edited by Abstract

I enjoy mostly alt rock, 90's pop/rock hits, Disney classics, symphonic metal, ska punk, and game OSTs or remixes. My moods are kind of sensitive, so I like music that reminds me of fun times or that can perk me up, get me to dance a little, or keep me humming.

I used to listen to music while I studied, but I found it distracting. Calm music is nice, but doesn't get me out of a bad or anxious mood.

I used to listen to music while I studied, but I found it distracting.

Heh heh, I get into music too much to be able to listen to it while simultaneously concentrating on doing serious work. I will listen to music while doing things that don't take too much brainpower (like compiling chart databases).

Calm music is nice, but doesn't get me out of a bad or anxious mood.

Yes, I find that music can enhance my mood, but music alone can't really change my mood.

In terms of the metal and hardcore I enjoy, I like it because not only can it express anger, but also a slew of other emotions, and I don't think a lot of people see that. I mean, just LISTEN to the lyrics of this ditty:

• Brohoof 1

Metal gives me energy and a sense of power, it makes me feel invincible in a way, particularly death, thrash, heavy, and some types of black metal. Other kinds of black metal can be calming and help me sleep (only atmospheric/ambient black metal does that though).

Trance is like the sound of happiness, it just makes me feel really happy and it also makes me energetic.

• Brohoof 2

I like EDM because I love dancing and I love symmetry. You get both from this particular style of music. Trance is my favorite subgenre because it causes my brain to release endorphins.

I will say this, I don't actually know, I don't know why I like certain music over others.

I have realized with time that vocals do not interest me at all. Neither does all the heavy electronica stuff really sound well like ever. My favourite songs really are the ones which can evoke an emotional response without needing lyrics. Or simply set me in the right mood without needing to say a word. The mere movement of sound, use of instruments, pitch and speed it is played out can be so powerful. And I miss that in other music.

Although i do like my rock every now and again and some lighter metal. but not much.

Music must truly be brilliant in my eyes to do this and earn my respect. To show it's sheer beauty and elegance.