Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MMM WHATCHA SAY - 2012's newest meme?

Tycoon

So, lately around YouTube specifically, I've been noticing a new trend a lot. Not sure if it's just me, but I'm seeing a lot of videos using this meme. I'm not sure if it even is a meme yet or ever will be, and I'll give you a few example videos.

Here's what happens: Whenever someone dies, the audio changes to a piece of music that goes "MMM WHATCHA SAYYYY."

Posted ImageTycoon, on 30 August 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

This music is from Jason Derulo's song "Whatcha Say"

"Actually, the original song is

by Imogen Heap and the meme originated from that one show called the OC or something..." - Thanks to madmisa for the correction!

I personally really like these videos, the music itself is awesome and somewhat sad to fit the mood of the death that just occurred, and I'm addicted to watching them. Here's some examples!

The origional "Dear Sister" - By lonelyisland

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ALzUpiAYME

SNL "Dear Sister" Parody:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOD4_eI5NI

(Recommended you skip to 0:35 for the actual start)

After further study, it seems like it started from "Dear Sister" and a lot more people made parodies, ect of it. What do you guys think about it? Please watch both parodies to get the best idea of this 8).

Edited by Tycoon
  • Brohoof 2

That song is 3 years old, if this is becoming a meme then it's pretty late if you ask me.

Nice examples you got there, here's my favorite:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHOZP3XHsVA&list=FLDchUHqBQS0MgOEuAlRsWdg&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Yep, seen that one too. Mainly because I play TF2 avidly, but oh well. I think it could still develop into a meme of some sort, it's only recently been used as bg music when someone died in videos.

This has been a thing for a while. Phelous from TGWTG did one sometime last year, and so did College humor. It's not something new to 2012.

Oh, I see. Well, I've still been noticing a lot of new ones around this time. I guess a few of these are just made every once in a while.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, it's pretty old, but still one of my favorite memes.

Have you watched what it's from originally? Search up OC season 2 finale. It's hilarious :)

I have to agree with anonymstol. This has been around for a while. The song itself is I don't know how many years old but it isn't new.

Edit: Add to this what DashingRainbow36 said. So much misinformation.

Edited by Lolness The Hunt

I want to see peanut butter jelly time come back.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I miss when memes weren't so internally referential, like rage faces or music/video remixes and so on. They were just abstract jokes that stood by themselves.

yeah that was defiantly one of my fav's and probably the first one i ever saw when i was online.

I watched the video's related to it for hours on end :D

• Brohoof 1

This meme has existed for a pretty long time. But I guess it couldve carried over to 2012.... Im glad its back if your right it was pretty funny

Welp. Figured I should throw the pony spin on this thread, as this came up and it's pretty well done.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-yISs9nZFY&feature=g-hist

Also, Derulo butchered that song.

Epic combination of Youtube Poop, Electronic Dubstep, MLP, and the topic. I still prefer the origional, but this wins for ponies.

This music is from Jason Derulo's song "Whatcha Say"

Actually, the original song is

by Imogen Heap and the meme originated from that one show called the OC or something...

Posted Image

I know people probably mentioned this or something already but meh just ignore me if so >.>

• Brohoof 2

Another fun fact: Jason Derulo took that part of Imogen Heap's original song Hide and Seek, upped the pitch, and mixed it in with his own song.

Now, I don't mind that he did this, I mean he probably had her permission to do it, but it does irritate me when people don't know these things... which is hard for me to say because people can't always help it but, but, but... I still get irritated that people are ignorant when there's an Internet out there with all the answers. :/

I'm also a hardcore fan of Imogen Heap. Yeah, that affects my reaction to people not knowing things. lol

Also, that meme is way more than 3 years old. That meme was my first exposure to Imogen Heap, and that was back in... 2007? Yeah, that sounds about right.

All that said... it is funny. It's just old.