What in the name of Celestia was Shining Armor wearing?

poniesforfun

I got some ideas:

1) The Equestrian equivalent of eye protecting gear

2) He was imitating Zoro

3) Black 3-D glasses

4) A carboard cut-out he made to look cool and match the scarf

5) Pyrovision Goggles

6) He forgot to wear contacts, therefore glasses

7) Cadence gave it to him as a gift and he didn't want to tell her it looks ugly so he wears them now

8) He's trying to act like a hipster but he doesn't know how, therefore wrong glasses

9) His swimming with sharks glasses

That's all I can think of, hope it made you chuckle.

Edited by Excited Face River
  • Brohoof 6

Almost makes him look like a unicorn version of a cylon from battlestar galactica. Shining armor really needs "something." I mean he is twilly's brother and head of the guard and all he gets is horn cooties.

I assume its just eye protection. I can't see it being much of anything else. Maybe its really strange looking binoculars.

It still bothers me how they look very... paper like. They don't look like they even have any form of lenses..

Seems like snow goggles though.

Shining Armor is a pony of the Night's Watch. When you're out ranging north of the Wall, snow blindness can be as dangerous as wildlings. If he falls and breaks his leg, he's dinner. So he has those glasses. They complement his black cloak.

• Brohoof 1

You should put a spoiler warning....I'm still only half way through the second season (again...I keep getting interrupted and having to start all over :P)

Sure... but I didn't think this would be that important. If it's eye protection I wonder why he keeps them off afterwards while they are traveling through the snowscape.

I'm really and truly surprised that Shining Armor's Toton didn't freeze by the time he reached the first marker.

I have to think they were going for a Star Wars reference. Given the powerful geek culture driving bronies, it was hard to miss. The goggles have basis in reality (as Dr_Waveband highlighted), but all I could imagine was John Williams music playing in the background.

• Brohoof 1

I pondered this even in my first reaction video. They only showed like a few seconds of it but it was just such a goofy outfit that I literally went back, paused the video, and asked myself "These animators are high, eh?"

I guess they ran out of Rarity-esque designs so they just slapped up something together haha.

they wear those in the Arctic area to protect their eyes from the glare caused by the snow reflecting light. There is literally so much light being reflected that it can damage your eyes if they are not properly protected

Shining Armor is a pony of the Night's Watch. When you're out ranging north of the Wall, snow blindness can be as dangerous as wildlings. If he falls and breaks his leg, he's dinner. So he has those glasses. They complement his black cloak.

Pah, If they just send in the Mane Six, they would sort out the Others in ca. 40 minutes (their usual rate for ancient evils). 45, if Fluttershy insists on collecting all of the warg-bound animals.

On the subject, they might have been referencing the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Only recent movie, I recall with these things in them.

They're snow goggles: they're used to shield your eyes from light reflecting off the surface of snow, thus preventing snow blindness. Of course, it wasn't particularly bright when Shiney wore them in the episode...

This^

I was going to say pretty much the same thing you did, but I couldn't remember the name of the glasses/goggles/etc.

But I have to admit, they look a lot like 3D glasses xD