Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Atheist. I have been for over ten years. I was born Catholic and questioned it ever since the beginning, my parents hated that. Then I became Pagan in 1997, Agnostic 1998, and finally Atheist in 2000. I'm not going to go into full detail about what finally made me Atheist other than I was actually dead until a firefighter brought me back to life. Science saved my life. Once you have that kind of experience, you quickly realize that there is nothing afterwards and to live your life as happily as you can right now.

I'm an athiest because I'm a scientist -  I'm not sure how more succinct I can get. However, I also consider myself a Taoist and a Buddhist. In fact, I voted Buddhist in this poll.

How is this possible, you ask?

Buddhism is not really a religion in the sense most people mean it. It's more of a philosophy and a worldview. Taking only the bits and pieces that make sense to YOU is inherently built into it. There is no deity or supernatural being in Buddhism. The Buddha himself said in effect "If you should meet a Buddha on the road, kill him." Why would he say this? He's saying don't listen to preachers. Follow your own heart and your own head. Be autonomous in the world. Take his advice only if it makes sense, and if not, don't. If you read enough of them, the things attributed to Buddha really make you believe he was enlightened. I think a lot of people who consider themselves athiests would find a lot to like in the way Buddha sees our short time on this Earth.

As for Taoism, it recognizes the duality apparent in nature. I'm a chemist, so I see positive and negative charges all the time. It's what everything is, and yet nothing is ever exactly that thing - there's always something interrupting perfection, something seeking equilibrium. That's how entropy works; it's how the universe works. The innate sense of balance and energy running through literally everything is referred to as the Tao, or just Tao, in Taoism. They sensed it before we knew of electrons, before we knew of polarity. Ancient Taoism had "gods," sure, but that was never really as important as the yin-yang distinction and equally important imperfection concerning that distinction, ergo the classic yin-yang design. I consider modern interpretations of Taoism, therefore, to be spiritually similar to cutting edge science, and by that virtue worth considering as a viable philosophy.

I'm a Catholic, not a hardline one but still Catholic.

I personally hate atheists........ to them there is NO higher power. They say science proves it, but where does science prove there isn't a higher power. My Mom always tells me that the whole Church is more or less human ideals based off of what was said. I believe in Jesus and what not. But I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Bible is almost all fiction based off actual events. If God were to say I created the world, write it in a story.... what do you think the authors would do.

On the other hand I have no problem with agnostics. They leave the realm open to the possibility. Believers even have their doubts, but to say your an Atheist is giving no wiggle room.

That's a bit harsh, don't you agree?

I used to be Christian, but I've chosen science over beliefs, there's little the bible provides for me that makes me believe those events, that COULD of happened. There's many reasons why I've left religion now, but I wouldn't try to prove others wrong, simply because of their beliefs :v

• Brohoof 1

You could call me a mix of
pagan/spiritualist if anything,  reason I
picked this Way was the

freedom of how you can
worship.     I'm also Irish and Native American so

I was raised to belive in nature and respect it.

Wow, we don't really have a lot of LDS bronies posting in this topic, do we?

I was born and raised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I'm Buddhist, but that's really more my mom's thing.  I don't practice it regularly.  She, on the other hand, meditates every morning.  Still, I like a lot of the philosophies behind it, like nonviolence and the idea of inner peace.

Simple. Just post in your religion. If its not included, quote this post and tell me what it is. I'll add it.

Dear Sir, No Respects to Greeks and Romans? I myself am Greek, Could Greek and Roman be added? I'd be interesting to see who else is.. Well You Know, Like Me :P

I am a solid atheist,but I don't go out of my way to argue with every religious person like some atheists do (/r/atheism). I have also read the bible and think of it as more of a good set of morale guidelines rather than a religious faith.

Now, I was personally convinced that I was resolutely atheist, but there have been a few perspectives on the idea of a divine being that I've been deliberating. The reasons for me being atheist were simple - I just did not believe that there could be anything with enough creativity and enough pure power to create an entire complex universe. Nor do I believe that upon creation of it, it would allow things as gruesome as natural disasters and mass murders.

We did discuss one thing in our Religion & Theology course at school that got me thinking, though. As humans, we can safely say that we are intellectually superior to other animals, because of sentience, self-awareness and acknowledgement of other people. However, we can only realise this sentience due to evolution of our mind's capacity. The increase of intellectual ability allowing us to think these sorts of things is a smooth curve, which begs the question: are our minds capable of truly knowing everything? Are we, as evolutionary beings, at the maximum level of intellect? As our evolution progresses, will the level of intellect also progress, allowing us understanding into things that would be impossible for us at our current state to perceive?

Let's assume the answer to that last question there to be yes. If that's true, then the possibility of a God instantly comes into play, something beyond our level of understanding as stands our capacity of thought on these matters. (If that makes any sense :3)

Because of this, I went from being atheist to being agnostic. I am not willing to accept the idea of the existence of an all-powerful God, certainly not in the sense of classical theism, but I am also extremely hesitant to discard the possibility that there is something omnipotent, something higher and transcendent, that we simply won't be able to fathom and that is the reason for things that we can't currently explain, such as most elements of the cosmological argument.

Do bear in mind that I'm not saying it's wrong to believe in any religion - whatever satisfies you and you're happy to believe in, is totally cool. I encourage it, actually, as Carl Jung once said religion helps you create peace within yourself. What I do think is wrong, however, is to show overt disapproval for fellow humans with a differing religious view. Remember - to each his own.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 2

***THIS POST HAS MINOR SPOILERS FOR PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA***

Since my last post, I have since spoiled the ending of Madoka Magica by looking it up on Wikipedia, and I'm now swaying towards worship of Madoka instead of Kira. Just thought I'd say that.

I'm a Pagan who also practises Wicca (mostly because I think that Wiccan rituals are really fun.) I was originally agnostic until I started getting interested into Pagan gods and goddesses and what they symbolized. Then I started looking into the rituals and what it meant to practise them. To sort of keep it short, it started out as curious research and then it lead to me accepting it as my religion.

I always found it kind of ambiguous when people say "I'm a Pagan". I'm pretty sure Paganism is pretty much every religion ever that doesn't follow the God of Abraham. I just kind of end up assuming that the person is an eclectic Pagan. 

Edited by Hansel

I'm deist, it's like being agnostic, but without the maybe or the religion, It's cool, no dogma, no door to door crap, no arguing online for the most part.

You don't need to add it to the poll, I'm fien with other.

• 1 month later...

I would have to say atheist as the idea of a god figure seems logically impossible or just plain undefinable.  either god is not as perfect as many perceive as perfection is impossible, or god is a being beyond all limts of human comprhension which would mean that any aspect we beleive it to have to be wrong as it is beyond our reasoning. Any concept of morality or logic becomes non-applicable. Though I would prefer to believe that the universe and its possiblities are truly infinite, as it would mean that we can always have somthing to learn, desire and dream for as anything could become possible.

• Brohoof 1

I am an agnostic. However, some of the buddhist teachings such as reincarnation greatly interest me. I respect everyones religious choice even though i tend to disagree in the religions themselves. But thats just me.

Edited by ImperiousMarvel

I refuse to associate myself with a religion. I like logic, but I don't completely disagree with the big man in the sky idea, either. I think religion is more of a barrier than anything else, and so I say "I don't care"

• Brohoof 1

I was raised Catholic, and many of my views still coincide with those of the Catholic Church, so I call myself Catholic. However, my personal belief system is closer to Deism, basically the "clockmaker God" theory. I believe God put the various physical laws in place to do their jobs by themselves, so he doesn't have to intervene very much, if ever. However, similar to how parts break, or newer, better parts become available, he still CAN intervene to swap out a faulty cog or put a more durable one in (hence why I still pray somewhat often; I believe he's still got the ability to intervene on occasion).

Raised christian, became agnostic at the age of 16.

It was a pretty easy choice when I got to the age where I actually thought about questioning things that were shoved down my throat for the majority of my life.

• 3 weeks later...