Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Christian, but I've come up with my own way of looking at it

. Same for me. My girlfriend was a Christian but experiments with Wicca. She's found a kind of consolidation between the faiths. She showed me her practices and they didn't seem particularly unholy when compared to other faiths like Judiasm or Hinduism. So I go to church every Sunday and still pray the same way, but I'm not necessarily adverse to other practices. Really ANY faith is good and valid in my book as long as (again) it doesn't infringe on others' safety or freedom.

Really ANY faith is good and valid in my book as long as (again) it doesn't infringe on others' safety or freedom.

that's an interesting concept... but what do you think of the people who are basically "faithless" or at least don't have a proclaimed faith. I mean, of course everyone has some form of faith or value system, whether it's undeclared or explicitly stated. but do you think that those without a declared faith are in trouble? does a person need faith?

sorry, a bit off topic there. I'm a former fundamentalist LDS and I don't really subscribe to any particular religion at this point, just trying to do the best I can out here in this crazy world.

(edited)

that's an interesting concept... but what do you think of the people who are basically "faithless" or at least don't have a proclaimed faith. I mean, of course everyone has some form of faith or value system, whether it's undeclared or explicitly stated. but do you think that those without a declared faith are in trouble? does a person need faith?

sorry, a bit off topic there. I'm a former fundamentalist LDS and I don't really subscribe to any particular religion at this point, just trying to do the best I can out here in this crazy world.

Well I don't think anypony is "dammned unless they recognize the LORD JESUS, IN HEAVEN" if that's what's your asking. (Sorry for the stereotype.) As long as you live a good and moral life, what's the problem? Almost all major religions agree on the big issues.

-Don't steal.

-Don't murder.

-Be honest.

-Do your best.

Everything else is just what names, traditions, and aesthetics you want to slap unto the same idea. I've no problem with atheists, as long as they're cool with me believing in God as I am with them not. One of my most notable "friends" among the bronies is an atheist. (You may know him as Paleo Steno.)

Posted Image

He's a moral guy, a good person who just wants to be a marine biologist because it's what he loves. (His cutie-mark is DOLPHINS for cryin' out loud!) I do admit a bit of sadness for the staggering amount of bronies that appear to be atheists. But as one informed me on this very page. Atheism =/= Futility of life.

To me, belief itself is a very personal matter. I sort of discovered recently, that it's the core tenant of who I am. (Think of it like Honesty, Loyalty, or Laughter.) All my life, the most influential figures, both real people and fictional characters have had some belief, code, ethos, system SOME KIND of ideal. Whatever it was, it was is what drove them to the course of action they took and defined how they saw the world. Now I don't hold the notion that simply praying is going to make the world better. Actione sit vera fides. (Yes I used google translate for that. It's been years since I took latin!)

So to answer your question the best way I can, those who don't believe in ANYTHING . . . I really don't know what to make of them. Nihilism doesn't even fit into the context of how I perceive reality; it's like a black hole. A vacuum that by all rights of the laws of physics shouldn't exist but does. It's different for those who simply "don't know" or are "unsure" versus those who take the stance that there is no ethical/secular/spiritual/moral/historical import of ANYTHING! How does one live like that? (I'm sure it's possible, just not for me.)

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

My god looks like this.

Posted Image

But jokes aside I'm a Christian, nothing more to say other than I loathe extremists. It's why a lot of people think Christians are insane. They bash Pokemon, Star Wars, MLP, Harry Potter, and even the freaking Smurfs! But it is always fun to read one of their articles or watch a video because it amazes me how stupid their logic is.

• Brohoof 2

why.

why would you post this topic?

Almost every time someone posts about religion, it turns into a post full of insult throwing and hate.

Well we have to hope that everypony is mature enough to handle it.
  • Brohoof 1

Simple. Just post in your religion. If its not included, quote this post and tell me what it is. I'll add it.

Where the heck is Jehovah's Witness? Add it please!

why.

why would you post this topic?

Almost every time someone posts about religion, it turns into a post full of insult throwing and hate.

There was another topic I was on and everypony was very mature and cordial. That's what I love about bronies, we hold respect to a VERY high degree in online interaction.

That's what I love about bronies, we [occasionally] hold respect to a VERY high degree in online interaction.

I think the word "occasionally" should have been inserted, as it's much more accurate.

My god looks like this.

Posted Image

But jokes aside I'm a Christian, nothing more to say other than I loathe extremists. It's why a lot of people think Christians are insane. They bash Pokemon, Star Wars, MLP, Harry Potter, and even the freaking Smurfs! But it is always fun to read one of their articles or watch a video because it amazes me how stupid their logic is.

I know right? POKEMON? HARRY POTTER? Smurfs I'm not gonna question because I was never a fan, but MLP. MY LITTLE PONY?! :angry: What the Hell is wrong with them? I got into a conversation with this poor guy who's parents banned Pokemon from his house when they found out about Psychic, Ghost, and Dark types. For MLP, it was apparently because Twilight "levitates objects" and uses magic. :blink: A unicorn . . . . using sparkly magic . . . . . is promoting Satanism. :mellow: . . . .

I think the word "occasionally" should have been inserted, as it's much more accurate.

Wow, I'm shocked. That has been the norm for me. On EVERY topic I've been to on this site. Can it at least been "for the most part"? The only place I've seen bronies fall into the typical internet trap is on YouTube and never against each other.

Wow, I'm shocked. That has been the norm for me. On EVERY topic I've been to on this site. Can it at least been "for the most part"? The only place I've seen bronies fall into the typical internet trap is on YouTube and never against each other.

I'm a bit too easily angered when arguing religion. :P I should really stay out of the topics but they're quite fun to go into.

I'm a bit too easily angered when arguing religion.

You don't say? :o

I'm a Atheist, even an anti-theist.

An anti-theist is someone who thinks that religion is dangerous

Well hey, Atheism hasn't exactly been proved "safe" by history either :P

one thing: Atheist and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive, you can be 4 things to be exact:

agnostic athiest (me) I think there is NO god, but i don't know it for sure (( i don't have evidence for my claim)

agnostic theist (most of the religious fol) I think there is a god, but i don't know it for sure ( i don't have evidence for my claim)

gnostic atheist I think there is NO a god, and i know it for Sure

gnostic theist: i think there is a god, and i know it for sure

There can also be a diffrence in atheists (even some theists) if they think that religion is dangerous, you can be two things:

anti-theist (me)

or a person that that is a atheist, doesn't believe in a god, but wishes that there was one

Posted Image

You don't say? :o

Well hey, Atheism hasn't exactly been proved "safe" by history either :P

Atheism proven safe by history ?.... don't know what you're talking about honestly :P, (i've heard this before *laughs sly*

one thing: Atheist and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive, you can be 4 things to be exact:

agnostic athiest (me) I think there is NO god, but i don't know it for sure (( i don't have evidence for my claim)

agnostic theist (most of the religious fol) I think there is a god, but i don't know it for sure ( i don't have evidence for my claim)

gnostic atheist I think there is NO a god, and i know it for Sure

gnostic theist: i think there is a god, and i know it for sure

There can also be a diffrence in atheists (even some theists) if they think that religion is dangerous, you can be two things:

anti-theist (me)

or a person that that is a atheist, doesn't believe in a god, but wishes that there was one

Posted Image

Atheism proven safe by history ?.... don't know what you're talking about honestly :P, (i've heard this before *laughs sly*

Guess I would be a Agnostic Theist then. :huh: I do believe God has "spoken" to me in small ways. No burning bush or vision in dreams or anything quite so dramatic, just small little things like a cool breeze when it was needed or a favorite song comes on the radio. Rather I would say I don't know God's true nature. No one does, no one should. If we were simply given the answer's that diminishes the achievements. All religions are simply different paths for an individual to take toward self-actualization. At least in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Guess I would be a Agnostic Theist then. :huh: I do believe God has "spoken" to me in small ways. No burning bush or vision in dreams or anything quite so dramatic, just small little things like a cool breeze when it was needed or a favorite song comes on the radio. Rather I would say I don't know God's true nature. No one does, no one should. If we were simply given the answer's that diminishes the achievements. All religions are simply different paths for an individual to take toward self-actualization. At least in my opinion.

True :-D, and yeah, most theists (and atheists) are agnostic

• Brohoof 1

I like agnostics alot more than atheists or based on the chart above, all but the top right are alright with me. Except the extreme fringes of the bottom right.

At least the two left versions are open to the possibility.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, just sayin'.

If one thinks religion is dangerous, Atheism can be shown to be just as dangerous. :P

(edited)

Are you sure it's God who spoke to you? If you're not talking about the Christian god, then I think we should be careful next time we mention God's name and not capitalize the word 'god' when we're not talking about the Christian god. You would encounter an interesting problem as you can get people like Socrates claiming that he had a Daemon given to him by his gods. There's also another famous guy who goes by the name "Mohammed", who claims that an angel named Gabriel was sending messages to him on the behalf of Allah.

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 2

I like agnostics alot more than atheists or based on the chart above, all but the top right are alright with me. Except the extreme fringes of the bottom right.

At least the two left versions are open to the possibility.

I've gone cross-eyed reading that. :P

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Are you sure it's God who spoke to you? If you're not talking about the Christian god, then I think we should be careful next time we mention God's name and not capitalize the word 'god' when we're not talking about the Christian god. You would encounter an interesting problem as you can get people like Socrates claiming that he had a Daemon given to him by his gods. There's also another famous guy who goes by the name "Mohammed", who claims that an angel named Gabriel was sending messages to him on the behalf of Allah.

The Christian God and Allah are the same God. :P
  • Brohoof 2

When I say "God" in general I'm speaking about the Powers that Be. Angels, spirits, and yokai are just as valid. Again, I just don't know. All I know is that things aren't random. I don't believe in coincidences.

Hey, just sayin'.

If one thinks religion is dangerous, Atheism can be shown to be just as dangerous. :P

Radical/extremist atheism is dangerous, but you don't see atheists claiming their beliefs allow them to deny the rights of others, or to create or evade laws. Religion is a beautiful, wonderful thing, except when it's forced or shoved down a person's throat. Atheists certainly can do the same thing, but their beliefs don't tell them to do it, because they have none!