Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Once again, no reply, just an insult with no explanation.

You are demanding I counter your argument when you yourself haven't given me a rational argument to counter.

A post containing little more than silly accusations and petty insults is hardly something I consider even worth addressing.

The lack of support for your argument only makes it crumble in on itself.

• Brohoof 1

You are demanding I counter your argument when you yourself haven't given me a rational argument to counter.

A post containing little more than silly accusations and petty insults is hardly something I consider even worth addressing.

The lack of support for your argument only makes it crumble in on itself.

You can say whatever you want, but YOUR argument is hollow.

I've supported my argument with both factual evidence (People who drop everything they own to follow a guy claiming to be the messiah aren't the most well educated) and a modern example: Scientology. I have failed to see any argument that proves or even supports God's existence, the cloth I spoke of was carbon dated and reaveled to be from about 500ad if I remember correctly.

But those are just petty insults, right, right.

The reason for this is there is absolutely no logical reason for following a religion written by Bronze Age sheperds and nutjobs as an explanation for the world. There is very little evidence of Jesus, let alone practically anyone aside from Noah in the Old Testament. There has been not a single shred of evidence of God' existence, and the ones you do produce (ie the cloth of Jesus's face) have been disproved.

>Christianity

As for other religions, same story. You've heard of Scientology, right? Religion gains a foothold, picks up and torments the uneducated and homeless? Does that not sound like the early Catholic Church? Islam had a similar policy, it flew across the continent by convincing sheperds.

You have not ONE logical argument to prove YOUR GOD is the right one out of the thousands, if not tens of thousands of Gods that have been created by humans.

So it's not only illogical to believe in established religion, but quite stupid. Religious find comfort in religion and thus I am ok with it, but when you start stepping on my rights I get heated.

None of what you have posted is new to me, lol. And btw, I'm not religious at all. I'm a hardcore atheist.

You and me probably share a lot of the same views on things. However, what I'm trying to tell you is that if you ever want to see change and keep your rights in tact, then you cannot be an ass and think of these people as stupid. They are not stupid, and the more you get to know them and let them get to know you (and be nice) the more they will open up to you, and some will even question themselves.

These are logical, intelligent people. You can be surprised and think their beliefs are out there, just like I do with many religious people. However, you cannot say or think they are stupid for having a religion. These people really do care about other people, even thought they want to take away people's rights. It boils my blood too to see this happen, trust me. But being belligerent and insulting others is not going to get your point across to them.

• Brohoof 1

Atheist, former Christian. As for why, I don't really like stepping on people's toes about it. Did that for awhile, "Feeling Pinkie Keen" showed me how pointless that conflict was. I just have seen nothing in my life that indicates any kind of supernatural being as described by major religions exists or, at the very least, is involved in our present-day reality at all. I am willing to hear people out on their stories as to why they believe there is, but I reserve the right to politely ask questions.

I'm quite thoroughly agnostic. I read a lot of this thread and the discussions about atheism vs theism, and I would just like to throw in my two bits.

My biggest problem with any kind of belief is whenever anyone becomes elitist because of it. Theist? Fine. Atheist? Fine. Feminist? Fine. Vegan? Fine. They're ALL fine, but PLEASE don't consider yourself better than any other human being because of what you believe. Atheists calling Christians stupid is NOT OK imo. An individual might be stupid, and that's unfortunate, but that has nothing to do with whether you believe one thing or they believe another.

Thanks for reading, <3 and tolerate

• Brohoof 5

I'm not very religious at all, but i am spiritual. My dad was an atheist, my mum a Pagan, so i was brought up with heavy Pagan heritage. I often walk around with a Pentagram neckless (one that represents life), but i'm not really Pagan myself.

I mainly just believe in good and evil, and the people torn in between.

• Brohoof 1

None of what you have posted is new to me, lol. And btw, I'm not religious at all. I'm a hardcore atheist.

You and me probably share a lot of the same views on things. However, what I'm trying to tell you is that if you ever want to see change and keep your rights in tact, then you cannot be an ass and think of these people as stupid. They are not stupid, and the more you get to know them and let them get to know you (and be nice) the more they will open up to you, and some will even question themselves.

These are logical, intelligent people. You can be surprised and think their beliefs are out there, just like I do with many religious people. However, you cannot say or think they are stupid for having a religion. These people really do care about other people, even thought they want to take away people's rights. It boils my blood too to see this happen, trust me. But being belligerent and insulting others is not going to get your point across to them.

I have not said THEY are stupid, I said their beliefs are illogical. I've seen extremely smart religious, like EASA-Matt. People who put work into explaining why they believe. But in my personal opinion, it always falls short.

I'd also like to remark I am not an atheist.

Gotta go with being a christian.Heaven,ever lasting pease,immortality,creation of a new earth/heaven with new rules(who knows what that means) and a God who possibly would give you anything(i wish for a real life pinkie pie) and all you have to do is just believe.Sounds like a good deal to me.Far better then living here on earth with all these ignorant,narrow minded quick to judge humans.

Edited by ELRealBoredmario64

I live my life by more of a set of moral values than a set religion. I am somewhat Christian (even though I never go to church) but I do appreciate a lot of other religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism. In my opinion all religion is kind of the same set idea, that there are beings higher than us.

I have not said THEY are stupid, I said their beliefs are illogical. I've seen extremely smart religious, like EASA-Matt. People who put work into explaining why they believe. But in my personal opinion, it always falls short.

My apologies, then. But you do have to remember that when you insult someone's religion they take it personally and see it as an insult. Also, it is not illogical to believe in religion. There have been neurologists who have done studies on the effects of religion on the brain that explains why people believe. Plus, if you look how some people are brought up I'm sure you can understand how they came to believe.

All I'm saying is that you need to respect people and don't tell them that their religion is illogical. They will shut down completely and not consider anything you have to say and that's not helpful in trying to discuss religion with someone.

Edited by roomforapony
  • Brohoof 1

My apologies, then. But you do have to remember that when you insult someone's religion they take it personally and see it as an insult. Also, it is not illogical to believe in religion. There have been neurologists who have done studies on the effects of religion on the brain that explains why people believe. Plus, if you look how some people are brought up I'm sure you can understand how they came to believe.

All I'm saying is that you need to respect people and don't tell them that their religion is illogical. They will shut down completely and not consider anything you have to say and that's not helpful in trying to discuss religion with someone.

I don't care if they believe, I realize it gives people peace of mind. I'm just saying once you step on my toes it bothers me.

• 3 weeks later...

Religion is like a penis.

It's okay to have one and it's okay to be proud about it, but don't whip it out in public and start waving it around telling everyone yours is the best, and don't try to shove it down peoples throats.

I'm christian but I don't care if you disagree with my beliefs so long as your not a jerk about it.

• Brohoof 4

Agnostic, 'cause I believe there is some fundamental force that drives the universe but I don't believe in a specific religion or that the force is sentient and ruling our world.

I'm atheist, because we've never found one shred of evidence confirming the existence of any gods. I was brought up Catholic, though, and the reason I left was because I was disgusted by the things religion makes people do. Not necessarily by the people doing them (though, that -does- depend on what they're doing and why) but the fact that their religion convinces them that this is the right thing to do, and if they had a different influence on this matter, they might act differently. I'm not saying anyone here, or maybe not anyone you know. But the higher-ups and the extremists can kinda ruin things, y'know?

• Brohoof 2

Agnostic because I really have no idea...

Catholic. Why? Jesus.

Hmmm.... this argument seems legit:

Posted Image

My attitude regarding other peoples' beliefs:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Vq_ge7lKM

That vampire picture made me laugh my ass off... you win this round Christians...

pure atheist. nothing exists if i can't perceive it. religion to me is taking a fairy tale too seriously. Now I may be a hypocrite as at night my mind wanders to a mystical world filled with ponies, and I could swear they were real in some alternate universe, I want to believe that, but I can't rationally accept anything as fact without scientific proof. It's not a choice for me, it's the way my brain categorizes information. "True" "False"

Agnostic with spiritual and pagan elements. It's very complicated as I have my own philosophy about religion and the meaning of life. Brought up though as a catholic, but rejected the faith at the end of high school because it just wasn't making sense in my mind, nor were the other religions. So I just thought and made a religion that I am comfortable with because religion should be an individual thing and nothing more.

• Brohoof 1

I see lot's of Atheists are around these parts. Could change though.

I hope. Not because I wish to "save their souls" or some other passive aggressive garbage. I don't care what they believe in as long as they believe in SOMETHING. Whether it's something as simple as luck or grandiose as Auto-theism. (Which is pretty badass actually.) I would hope atheistic bronies would come around simply because the world seems that much closer to Equestria when you believe in something and live by it.

I hope. Not because I wish to "save their souls" or some other passive aggressive garbage. I don't care what they believe in as long as they believe in SOMETHING. Whether it's something as simple as luck or grandiose as Auto-theism. (Which is pretty badass actually.) I would hope atheistic bronies would come around simply because the world seems that much closer to Equestria when you believe in something and live by it.

Auto-Theism? *looks up* So... You'd rather me be a self-absorbed self worshipper than to simply not believe that there is any such thing as a higher power?

I'm not getting it. You are free to believe whatever you want, but not all of us have to believe in "something". I have been given absolutely no reason to believe that there is some higher power or purpose, and in fact the thought of there being either or both of those is actually quite disturbing to me.

Obviously, that's not why I am an Atheist. I am an Atheist because there being a higher power just doesn't even make any sense to me given the way everything works, and there is no evidence at all for such a being's existence. There's no reason to believe for me. I don't see why I have to believe in something when it's so blatantly obvious to me in my world view that there is nothing of that sort.