Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

I hope. Not because I wish to "save their souls" or some other passive aggressive garbage. I don't care what they believe in as long as they believe in SOMETHING. Whether it's something as simple as luck or grandiose as Auto-theism. (Which is pretty badass actually.) I would hope atheistic bronies would come around simply because the world seems that much closer to Equestria when you believe in something and live by it.

Atheists are not devoid of faith if that's what you are afraid of, I can assure you of that.
  • Brohoof 1

Atheists are not devoid of faith if that's what you are afraid of, I can assure you of that.

Wait, wouldn't that make them Agnostic then?

I mean, I thought the whole point of Atheism was that you didn't believe in a higher power, and agnostic is where you don't really know/haven't decided whether or not a higher power exists.

Auto-Theism? *looks up* So... You'd rather me be a self-absorbed self worshipper than to simply not believe that there is any such thing as a higher power?

I'm not getting it. You are free to believe whatever you want, but not all of us have to believe in "something". I have been given absolutely no reason to believe that there is some higher power or purpose, and in fact the thought of there being either or both of those is actually quite disturbing to me.

Obviously, that's not why I am an Atheist. I am an Atheist because there being a higher power just doesn't even make any sense to me given the way everything works, and there is no evidence at all for such a being's existence. There's no reason to believe for me. I don't see why I have to believe in something when it's so blatantly obvious to me in my world view that there is nothing of that sort.

I didn't mean to imply auto-theism as being self absorbed nor that said belief has to be in a higher power. It could be something to the effect of "there is no God, so we have to make the world better on our own." Obviously I do believe in God (or some kind of Higher Power) and I've seen plenty of evidence to support my belief. I don't mean to sound pretentious. It's just this fandom has given me such happiness and I don't want my fellow bronies to be unhappy. Nihilism, from one on the outside, just seems like a very empty and unhappy worldview.

Wait, wouldn't that make them Agnostic then?

I mean, I thought the whole point of Atheism was that you didn't believe in a higher power, and agnostic is where you don't really know/haven't decided whether or not a higher power exists.

Faith =/= theism

It generally is associated with theism, but not exclusive to such:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

Protestant. I live a good lifestyle, god loves thy man. God blesses all with freedom of being to be interpreted.

God loves us all no matter your beliefs, live good, be kind and youw ill find your happiness.

• Brohoof 1

The size of the atheism bar does make me a little sad. :blush: For the stated reason that it just seems like a hollow existence for my fellow bronies. But as long as they are happy, I can rest easy. (Especially if happiness is brought on by this show and fandom!)

Protestant. I live a good lifestyle, god loves thy man. God blesses all with freedom of being to be interpreted.

God loves us all no matter your beliefs, live good, be kind and youw ill find your happiness.

All major religions in a nutshell! Short, sweet, and simple! Gotta love it!

The size of the atheism bar does make me a little sad. :blush: For the stated reason that it just seems like a hollow existence for my fellow bronies. But as long as they are happy, I can rest easy. (Especially if happiness is brought on by this show and fandom!)

It's actually quite the opposite of a hollow existence. Many of us just believe your body just rots in the ground when you die and that's the end of it. This thought makes us happy to be alive because we know that life is short, so we try to grab life by the horns and use our short time here as an incentive to enjoy it as much as we can and love the people we have in it.

Now, this is just an assumption, but I would say that the people who live as you described aren't in that particular mindset because of their lack of religion. They live a hollow existence because of perhaps a mental issue such as depression, or something else that causes this mindset. Religious people can live this way too.

I hope I have given you some insight to how many of us view life, and let you know that there is no need to be sad for us. We live very enriching, happy lives and find much beauty in the world. :)

• Brohoof 1

It's actually quite the opposite of a hollow existence. Many of us just believe your body just rots in the ground when you die and that's the end of it. This thought makes us happy to be alive because we know that life is short, so we try to grab life by the horns and use our short time here as an incentive to enjoy it as much as we can and love the people we have in it.

Now, this is just an assumption, but I would say that the people who live as you described aren't in that particular mindset because of their lack of religion. They live a hollow existence because of perhaps a mental issue such as depression, or something else that causes this mindset. Religious people can live this way too.

I hope I have given you some insight to how many of us view life, and let you know that there is no need to be sad for us. We live very enriching, happy lives and find much beauty in the world. :)

THAT'S more like it! :D I also agree with everything you said about how to live life. Except the "live by the moment" part, but that's just because I like to live with the long game in mind as opposed to any religious thought. Okie dokie lokie, so long as your happy, I'm happy! Take it away Pinkie!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You are stereotyping atheism to a point I don't even understand. How in the world is it a hollow existence? Many atheists (such as myself) don't believe in any kind of afterlife. We live for this life. The one we know we have. If that is a 'hollow existence' I have the definition of those terms way off. I know I don't. It's the very opposite.

Anyway, sorry about assuming you meant we had to believe in a higher power. It's just that I have a Christian friend who has said that same thing: "You have to believe in something", and he was referring to a higher power.

I very much do believe in something to that effect - That the only life we have is our one here on Earth, and that we should make the Earth the best we can be for other people. And while we may not have any 'afterlife', the world keeps on turning after we pass away and others and their children (etc.) keep on living. Making the world better for them is what I 'believe'. But it's not a 'belief' in a religious sense, so it's strange to refer to it like that.

So you don't need to be sad for the Atheists. You are stereotyping them in a way that I guarantee you the vast majority of the members who voted there if not all of them aren't anything like.

BTW, I had never heard of auto-theism and what I posted was based off of what I found on Google. What it defined it as was self-worshiping, and I don't see how that's good at all.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Simple. Just post in your religion. If its not included, quote this post and tell me what it is. I'll add it.

Spiritual not Religious

Edited by river_angel

You are stereotyping atheism to a point I don't even understand. How in the world is it a hollow existence? Many atheists (such as myself) don't believe in any kind of afterlife. We live for this life. The one we know we have. If that is a 'hollow existence' I have the definition of those terms way off. I know I don't. It's the very opposite.

Anyway, sorry about assuming you meant we had to believe in a higher power. It's just that I have a Christian friend who has said that same thing: "You have to believe in something", and he was referring to a higher power.

I very much do believe in something to that effect - That the only life we have is our one here on Earth, and that we should make the Earth the best we can be for other people. And while we may not have any 'afterlife', the world keeps on turning after we pass away and others and their children (etc.) keep on living. Making the world better for them is what I 'believe'. But it's not a 'belief' in a religious sense, so it's strange to refer to it like that.

So you don't need to be sad for the Atheists. You are stereotyping them in a way that I guarantee you the vast majority of the members who voted there if not all of them aren't anything like.

BTW, I had never heard of auto-theism and what I posted was based off of what I found on Google. What it defined it as was self-worshiping, and I don't see how that's good at all.

Once again I find myself agreeing more than disagreeing. I didn't mean to stereotype, (one of the worst evils I deeply apologize.) I merely meant it seems like a hollow existence from my perspective not that you or anypony else is actually living one. I agree on all your other points that we should try and leave the world better than when we were born into it. To answer that thing about auto-theism: As far as I understand, it's the belief that all philosophical and moral truths are within yourself. That YOU are the master of your fate. (Not something I necessarily disagree with.)

I suppose I fall under the category of an agnostic or an atheist. I don't really care about religion, but I don't really dismiss it offhand, either.

Part of this is because I come from a fundamentalist Mormon sect. a cult, if you will. got out of that, and I'm really jaded on the subject of belief.

You act as if parents educating their children is some strange concept :lol:

What I mean is, religious should be a personal thing. You should believe in the religion outside of the fact that your parents are that religion...but that's just my belief, feel free to disagree.

You act as if parents educating their children is some strange concept :lol:

Well, saying "I am a Christian, because my mom is one" comes off a bit more like they believe solely because their mom does, or even worse only because their mom wants them to be one. Either way that's not really believing.

I didn't want to infer that from their post, though as it's like just worded a bit odd and they really do believe for themselves. It's just that I know when I was a Christian as a child the very root of my belief was believing because others did. Like literally I thought that they all had some definitive reason to belief, so I was just following along even though I had no proof or reason to believe for myself. I thought they had some knowledge I didn't.

• Brohoof 6

Well, saying "I am a Christian, because my mom is one" comes off a bit more like they believe solely because their mom does, or even worse only because their mom wants them to be one. Either way that's not really believing.

I didn't want to infer that from their post, though as it's like just worded a bit odd and they really do believe for themselves. It's just that I know when I was a Christian as a child the very root of my belief was believing because others did. Like literally I thought that they all had some definitive reason to belief, so I was just following along even though I had no proof or reason to believe for myself. I thought they had some knowledge I didn't.

I agree. We should not feel validated in our beliefs by the word of our guardians alone. We must seek our own ethos. Only when one sees the wisdom the world has to offer can one make a rational decision on "what I believe in."