Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

The Christian God and Allah are the same God. :P

That's a dangerous statement that you are making comrade,

In islam (i am a former muslim) there is a sin named ''shirk'', that means, the deification or worship of anyone or anything other than the singular god , or more literally the establishment of "partners" placed beside God.

Some muslims think that saying that Yahweh (YHWH) is the name god as Allah is blasphemy and Shirk, Shirk is said to be the worst sin and in some islamic countries its said that you can get the death penalty,

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, according to you two...it's impossible to for atheism to cause harm, and it's impossible to do something in the name of atheism.

As cute as that may be as a form of atheistic apologetics, it's little more than an attempt to whitewash atheists on all they may have done wrong due to their ideology.

History says otherwise. So unless you can rewrite history, then you cannot logically deny actions taken in the name of atheism.

In islam (i am a former muslim) there is a sin named ''shirk'', that means, the deification or worship of anyone or anything other than the singular god , or more literally the establishment of "partners" placed beside God.

Some muslims think that saying that Yahweh (YHWH) is the name god as Allah is blasphemy and Shirk, Shirk is said to be the worst sin and in some islamic countries its said that you can get the death penalty,

Muslims believe in the God of Abraham, as do the Jews and the Christians.

Therefore, they believe in the same God.

Christianity has the Trinity, but the Trinity is not three Gods, nor two people besides God. Rather, it is three persons who are the same God. Therefore, any Muslim who truly understands the Trinity, should not consider it "shirk".

But then again, any Muslim who understands the Trinity, probably isn't actually Muslim. :P

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

Hmm... interesting.

However, I find this connfusing as I heard something about the '99 names of allah'. I don't understand what it's about, but do you?

(edited)

Well, according to you two...it's impossible to for atheism to cause harm, and it's impossible to do something in the name of atheism.

As cute as that may be as a form of atheistic apologetics, it's little more than an attempt to whitewash atheists on all they may have done wrong due to their ideology.

History says otherwise. So unless you can rewrite history, then you cannot logically deny actions taken in the name of atheism.

Muslims believe in the God of Abraham, as do the Jews and the Christians.

Therefore, they believe in the same God.

Christianity has the Trinity, but the Trinity is not three Gods, nor two people besides God. Rather, it is three persons who are the same God. Therefore, any Muslim who truly understands the Trinity, should not consider it "shirk".

But then again, any Muslim who understands the Trinity, probably isn't actually Muslim. :P

Within Christianity, the doctrine of the Trinty states that God is a single being who exists, simultaneously and eternally, as a communion of three distinct persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Within islam however, such a concept of plurality within God is a denial of monotheism, and foreign to the revelation found in Muslim scripture. The act of ascribing partners to God, whether they be sons, daughters, or other partners, is considered to be blasphemous in Islam. The Qur'an repeatedly and firmly asserts God's absolute oneness, thus ruling out the possibility of another being sharing his sovereignty or nature. However, this has not prevented later Christian scholars from questioning whether the Qur'an does reject the concept of the Trinity. Yet, there has been very little doubt of this rejection by Muslims from a very early date.''

Well, Blasphemous huh.... you know what you get from that in a islamic country like saudi-arabia ;-D

Edited by Gozutennou

(edited)

That's not our argument. Our argument is that you cannot easily draw a causal connection between atheism and harm.

If atheism is an ideology, not-watching-MLP is a hobby.

Now, what's the deal with the dark ages?

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 1

That's not our argument. Our argument is that you cannot draw easily a causal connection between atheism and harm.

“if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?” -Jeffrey Dahmer

Eeyup, there were definitely no atheistic overtones in this man's excuse for brutally murdering 17 people.

post-365-0-87578700-1337448834_thumb.gif

(edited)

Edit 2: Kinda didn't want to be apart of this on second though but reposting what I said.

come on guys. Can't we just be peaceful about this. This is starting to seem bad.

Look let's just say both atheism and religion has its ups and down.

Otherwise...we have war.

Edited by RaccoonBL
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

“if a person doesn’t think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges?” -Jeffrey Dahmer

What's the point? There's something called 'enjoying your life'. I don't wanna spend life behind bars, let alone wanting to live a life where people will hate me for taking so many lives from people.

Now, what's legitimately frightening is the idea that if you believe that accepting Jesus Christ as your savior is the one ticket to heaven, nothing you do matters! Kill a few people, you're still going into heaven since you believe something to be true!

On the other hand, if you're the guy who believes that going good things is the ticket to heaven, then we encounter a problem with knowing what is considered good or bad as you can find things in the bible which people in today's culture would normally denounce as immoral. Again, the verses I posted here.

Edited by PixMeister

Pretty much why religious dicussions can become EXTREMELY confusing, but thanks for clearing that up. We have different ideas of what 'God' is. (lolol @ people citing Einstein as an example of a religious scientist)

You mean he wasn't? My favorite quote from his is "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." The scientist that I know are also Godfearing men.

Considering all the well known actions North Korea takes against its population, I'm surprised that this one baffles you :P

How did I miss the post which you were just quoted on?

I'm pretty sure North Korea prosecutes the religious in the name of Juche, which is an ideology which pretty much is the backbone of North Korea. The god they worship is their Dear Leader.

• Brohoof 1

Considering all the well know actions North Korea takes against its population, I'm surprised that this one baffles you :P

I'm pretty sure North Korea has a religion, they worship their leader, The Eternal President and their lineage, the Dear Leader. The mere fact that they spend 20% of all their day on a reading about their leader's accomplishments and how the whole personality cult that has been created around these people. I would say North Korea is very religious.

Read up some more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea#Religion

I believe you let this one slip by so easily.

• Brohoof 2

Oh my lack of God, STOP ARGUING.

This a thread for discussing everyone's religions and why they believe what they believe, not another thread for everyone to bash each other over the head for daring to have different beliefs. This has already been proving to be too difficult a subject for this forum to handle. If the arguing doesn't stop, the thread will be locked.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

You mean he wasn't? My favorite quote from his is "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." The scientist that I know are also Godfearing men.

Ever wondered what he exactly meant by "God" and "religion"? Though I personally don't know what he meant by religion, Einstein's god, in a nutshell, is the set of laws that the universe is bound to. If anything, he's a great example that shows that we can easily confuse the hell out of each other because we do not agree on what God is. Pretty much the point of Ignosticism, which is basically a form of agnosticism but putting more emphasis on the fact we don't know what God is so we can't even approach the question.

Oh my lack of God, STOP ARGUING.

This a thread for discussing everyone's religions and why they believe what they believe, not another thread for everyone to bash each other over the head for daring to have different beliefs. This has already been proving to be too difficult a subject for this forum to handle. If the arguing doesn't stop, the thread will be locked.

I don't know what you mean by 'bashing'. I find the debate here to be tame enough to not warrant a lock o_O

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know what you mean by 'bashing'. I find the debate here to be tame enough to not warrant a lock o_O

Not the point. The subject has become controversial enough to cause the locking of a number of other threads, so in my opinion it's getting to the point where it just shouldn't be discussed at all.
  • Brohoof 3

Not the point. The subject has become controversial enough to cause the locking of a number of other threads, so in my opinion it's getting to the point where it just shouldn't be discussed at all.

I disagree. If it's not because we're supposedly 'bashing' each other, I don't see the issue because the thread is asking for different perspectives. That is easily what a debate does - explore different perspectives and see how they logically compare with another.

I disagree. If it's not because we're supposedly 'bashing' each other, I don't see the issue because the thread is asking for different perspectives. That is easily what a debate does - explore different perspectives and see how they logically compare with another.

I'm not discussing this further in the thread. Take it to PM.

Ever wondered what he exactly meant by "God" and "religion"? Though I personally don't know what he meant by religion, Einstein's god, in a nutshell, is the set of laws that the universe is bound to. If anything, he's a great example that shows that we can easily confuse the hell out of each other because we do not agree on what God is. Pretty much the point of Ignosticism, which is basically a form of agnosticism but putting more emphasis on the fact we don't know what God is so we can't even approach the question.

I agree. I think he took the Deists choice. The Universe being like a giant watch and God the clock maker. To him, the best way to serve "God" was to solve how the laws of our reality work.

tough...

by trade I am a Wiccan, by practice I am a Buddhist Wiccan...specifically a Soto Zen Buddhist but as it doesn't ask you to release religion or spirituality I still stick to my Wiccan ways

That's quite a cool combo! I find it fascinating when people hybridize practices!

thank you kind friend!

I suppose even labeling myself a Wiccan goes against the Zen tradition but I am no perfect being :-)

Nopony is. That's why we're here! What would life be but a waiting room for eternity without experience? Our imperfections lead us to improve ourselves and our world!
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm agnostic.

I used to have such a negative outlook on religion, mainly because my grandparents used to cram the bible down my throat. I hated it. I saw religion as the #1 cause of all the world's problems. I tried to convince other people to think the way I do and I actually succeeded a couple of times.

As I got older, I realized just how stupid and ignorant I was being. I suppose I have my mother to thank for helping me open my eyes.

I believe everybody needs a voice to follow. I guess it gives them a sense of safety and security, because they have morals and certain things they abide by. Morals and certain things that will be rewarded if they follow them before passing away.

While I may not believe in any specific god(s), I believe in being a good person in general. Being kind, respectful, generous, trustworthy. I can't always be like that, because I am not perfect, just like everybody else.

As for atheists, I've had bad experiences with them, because most of the ones I knew personally were complete jerks, but I know that they're not all bad. I do not see them as the scum of the earth. I see them as equals, as we all should.

......and now it's back to watching The Kootra Testing Initiative c:

Edited by Autumn Skies
  • Brohoof 4