Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Yar-har, I be an Atheist, me hearties! (And a pirate, too, I suppose.) Used to be a Christian when I was a kid, but only because I was kind of dragged into it. As I got older I just changed my point of view to be one that is relatively not about religion at all; I don't believe in God, but I really don't mind if you do, honestly. I try to live my life as religion-less as possible, which is difficult with people constantly challenging my lack of beliefs when all I want to do is talk about something else. Anyway, yeah, there you go. A very basic insight to my pirate-y lack of belief.

There's something so tragically hopeless about not believing in God, I am simply incapable of it. I love God, he's my best friend, only thing in the world that has never done me wrong.

I hate when Atheists call Theists illogical or 'simple' because of our belief,

it makes more sense to me to believe something came from something, than something came from nothing.

~

• Brohoof 1

I'm Catholic but man I am hard pressed to find Catholicism exciting/inspiring. Catholicism is too entrenched in past history and tradition. Mass is boring as all get out. I might look for a Christian denomination that's more "modern" I guess. Something that makes an effort to relate to me and my generation, not stubborn and marching forward with brute force its outdated ways of thought. Something that my parents don't have to drag me to, I don't have to drag my future children to.

• Brohoof 1

it makes more sense to me to believe something came from something, than something came from nothing.

~

The God question does not answer this at all for me, because in order for God to create something from nothing, he would have to exist to begin with. Which means that he'd have to have come into formation from nothing as well.

These questions are certainly large ones and are way out of our present day understanding, but for me putting God in the equation just adds so many more questions than it answers. I'd rather find out what actually happened instead of pushing this supposed God into the gaps of what we don't understand.

The God question does not answer this at all for me, because in order for God to create something from nothing, he would have to exist to begin with. Which means that he'd have to have come into formation from nothing as well.

These questions are certainly large ones and are way out of our present day understanding, but for me putting God in the equation just adds so many more questions than it answers. I'd rather find out what actually happened instead of pushing this supposed God into the gaps of what we don't understand.

Whatever make you happy and gets you through life (:

as long as you don't look down upon others for what they believe,

because in the end we all don't really know.

It's called faith for a reason. ~

I'd rather find out what actually happened instead of pushing this supposed God into the gaps of what we don't understand.

The belief in God is not spackle for human knowledge.

People believe in God because they feel reality points to it, not because there are gaps of knowledge in need of filling.

• Brohoof 1

Currently atheist because I'm not really sure which Religion is for me or if there even is any.

But I still like to keep an open mind to these things. For all I know there could be greater things behind everything~

Whatever make you happy and gets you through life (:

as long as you don't look down upon others for what they believe,

If only they could do the same for me.

And, in the end, I really don't care what people believe as long as they understand it's what they believe and has no place in the government, law, and public schools. (I don't mean to say that politicians and elected officials can't be open about their beliefs, I mean that they should keep it out of laws and anything else government related, like slogans and the pledge).

I have friends that believe that aliens came to Earth in ancient times. They believe that the aliens at least helped create the pyramids, that they have been mistaken for the ancient Gods, and also that they have some control over Earth and humans today.

Although I certainly don't believe that either, I don't look down upon them. They have their belief, and they don't tell me how I should live my life. They don't elect officials into office to make sure that we are "One Nation Under Aliens".

If religion were the same way, I'd have no problem respecting religious beliefs.

The belief in God is not spackle for human knowledge.

People believe in God because they feel reality points to it, not because there are gaps of knowledge in need of filling.

I'm aware of that. I was talking about myself, in where to me reality clearly points away from a God.

And, in the end, I really don't care what people believe as long as they understand it's what they believe and has no place in the government, law, and public schools. (I don't mean to say that politicians and elected officials can't be open about their beliefs, I mean that they should keep it out of laws and anything else government related, like slogans and the pledge).

I have friends that believe that aliens came to Earth in ancient times. They believe that the aliens at least helped create the pyramids, that they have been mistaken for the ancient Gods, and also that they have some control over Earth and humans today.

Although I certainly don't believe that either, I don't look down upon them. They have their belief, and they don't tell me how I should live my life. They don't elect officials into office to make sure that we are "One Nation Under Aliens".

If religion were the same way, I'd have no problem respecting religious beliefs.

Not every religious person is for a connection between church and state.

Not to mention that the United States lacks a state religion, and the First Amendment outlaws a connection between church and state.

Therefore I don't see how that affects the ease of respecting beliefs. Likewise applying your logic in all cases would make atheism just as "difficult to respect", considering there are those at the opposite end of the spectrum whom feel public schools (as one example) should enforce a teaching of "no God".

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony
  • Brohoof 1

Not every religious person is for a connection between church and state.

I'm well aware of that.

However, the kind in my state legislature and running for president are.

Not to mention that the United States lacks a state religion, and the First Amendment outlaws a connection between church and state.

It should, but a lot still goes on despite it.

Therefore I don't see how that affects the ease of respecting beliefs. Likewise applying your logic in all cases would make atheism just as "difficult to respect", considering there are those at the opposite end of the spectrum whom feel public schools (as one example) should enforce a teaching of "no God".

I'm yet to see any Atheists advocating that. While I don't doubt there's an extreme side that might, they are not the kind we hear from the most often. In general, most of us just want a nation that is secular, in other words neutral. A perfect example is a motto. Instead of 'In God we Trust' I want something that has no mention of an higher power in it. That's not an purely Atheist standpoint, if Atheists were like the religious that are trying to put their beliefs in everything, that motto would go more like "In the lack of God we trust". An atheist suggesting that would get hated on universally, yet somehow the positive assertion of the existence of a God in a motto that is supposed to represent all of us is more acceptable. It's not. They're both bad, neither properly represent us because they delve into a very controversial subject. (not that we could find a motto that everybody would love, but there are things that should be left out of one. It's common sense.)

Of course a motto is a rather small issue, but it represents the difference between 'secular' and 'atheist' perfectly. I merely want a secular nation. I don't want atheism shoved down everybody's throat in the government and such. That's un-American to me. However, this pushing of religion into the government is no less un-American.

I'm yet to see any Atheists advocating that. While I don't doubt there's an extreme side that might, they are not the kind we hear from the most often. In general, most of us just want a nation that is secular, in other words neutral. A perfect example is a motto. Instead of 'In God we Trust' I want something that has no mention of an higher power in it. That's not an purely Atheist standpoint, if Atheists were like the religious that are trying to put their beliefs in everything, that motto would go more like "In the lack of God we trust". An atheist suggesting that would get hated on universally, yet somehow the positive assertion of the existence of a God in a motto that is supposed to represent all of us is more acceptable. It's not. They're both bad, neither properly represent us because they delve into a very controversial subject. (not that we could find a motto that everybody would love, but there are things that should be left out of one. It's common sense.)

Of course a motto is a rather small issue, but it represents the difference between 'secular' and 'atheist' perfectly. I merely want a secular nation. I don't want atheism shoved down everybody's throat in the government and such. That's un-American to me. However, this pushing of religion into the government is no less un-American.

I can agree with most of this.

I feel church and state should be separated at all costs.

Neither extreme of theistic nor anti-theistic support should be implanted in things such as mottos and laws.

Personally I couldn't care whether the US removed "In God We Trust". Considering the phrase was adopted in 1956 and isn't exactly part of the foundation of the USA, there's no impact if it goes.

However, the kind in my state legislature and running for president are.

Understandable. It just seems as if you uphold a very intolerant view of all religious people based off your interactions with local religious people. Despite knowing that not all religious people are like that, it seems as if you always address them as a whole, assuming or at least implying (whether intentionally or unintentionally) that each and everyone is like the ones you've interacted with.
  • Brohoof 1

Agnostic, I absolutely hate human use of religion as a tool, but the concept itself I am neutral towards and I recognize its legitimacy in people's lives. Quite simply religion is an explanation of the unknowns of the universe everything, like science is, only the method is different. I prefer science myself, but meh I could be wrong I could be right and I could be both simultaneously, we shall see.

Understandable. It just seems as if you uphold a very intolerant view of all religious people based off your interactions with local religious people. Despite knowing that not all religious people are like that, it seems as if you always address them as a whole, assuming or at least implying (whether intentionally or unintentionally) that each and everyone is like the ones you've interacted with.

I'm never meaning to refer to everybody. There are plenty of Christians who believe in a separation of church and state and they are not the ones I am talking about. The problem is that with a group such as large as the various branches of Christianity, politicians end up with a lot of power.

It's to the point where a non-religious person would never even get elected at this point.

Quite simply religion is an explanation of the unknowns of the universe everything, like science is, only the method is different. I prefer science myself, but meh I could be wrong I could be right and I could be both simultaneously, we shall see.

Not really. You're assuming that religion's purpose is to fill gaps in human knowledge where science can not, or at least hasn't at this point in time. Religion has a much deeper meaning.

You're also asserting that religion and science are opposites, as if you can "only believe in one".

That's not the case. There's no "choice to be made" here. Both science and religion can co-exist in a person's life without being contradictory.

It's to the point where a non-religious person would never even get elected at this point.

Actually I feel it's becoming more and more likely that we'll see a openly non-religious candidate elected.

World views are becoming less and less conservative and more liberal or at least moderate, even in America.

In a predominantly Christian country, it's unlikely we'll see an outright atheist in the White House, but I'd expect to see a "secular" president much sooner.

I'm sure we'd had our share of non-religious presidents in the past. Not everyone is what they claim to be, and in a country where the majority of the population is Christian, it would make sense for someone to lie about their beliefs to achieve the Christian vote.

Not really. You're assuming that religion's purpose is to fill gaps in human knowledge where science can not, or at least hasn't at this point in time. Religion has a much deeper meaning.

You're also asserting that religion and science are opposites, as if you can "only believe in one".

That's not the case. There's no "choice to be made" here. Both science and religion can co-exist in a person's life without being contradictory.

I don't see how deeper you can get beyond everything... and im not suggesting religion is filling gaps, rather its a different method than science, with the same goal.

Also I stated I can be simultaneously right and wrong, just because I prefer science doesn't mean I percieve this as binary

I don't see how deeper you can get beyond everything... and im not suggesting religion is filling gaps, rather its a different method than science, with the same goal.

You just repeated what you said before, therefore refer to my prior reply as a response to this.

(not in the mood for repetitive discussion).

I'm Pagan. Why? Because it's the only religion that calls to me, and the only one I can agree with. Never been more at peace. :)

Are there any specific deities you worship or are you just a general pagan? Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

Are there any specific deities you worship or are you just a general pagan?

A specific one that I worship (or at least the most) would be Artemis. But depending on what I need, I will pray to whatever god/goddess that I think can best provide help or guidance for that certain situation.

A specific one that I worship (or at least the most) would be Artemis. But depending on what I need, I will pray to whatever god/goddess that I think can best provide help or guidance for that certain situation.

Oh, ok.

Just out of curiosity...do pagans ever worship the Judeo-Christian God along with their other deities?