Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Thank you LRP...THANK YOU!

I think I can be agonistic again. I didn't really like being atheist. Maybe I did become one because of how the internet is filled with them.

There is a reason I hated being atheists. (Note: I don't hate atheists). Maybe I do want to have a little talk about religion with you just one-on-one. :)

Sure. If you ever want to talk, feel free to pm me :)

I don't think you should have put denominations of Protestant Christianity. Why? Because there just far to many, and you did miss some. I'm a Calvinist and didn't see that on the list. Well, that's just what I think.

I was raised in a christian family, but having been consumed in two schisms, I've come to accept that I maybe Agnostic, I believe, but would rather not use it to push my own ends, or use it to bend the will of others, for it is not my way. Instead, I'm openly accepting of everyponies belief.

• Brohoof 1

Agnostic. I just can't believe in a god. People are often trying to convert me to Christianity.

In fact, I have no idea of OP still follows this thread, but if you do, could you add 'Spiritual" to the mix? That's the closest I can get.

I use to be Catholic because I was forced to, but I'm an agnostic/atheist now. I don't believe in a higher power anymore, but I have an open mind and my beliefs might be wrong. I'm not like the negative atheist stereotypes out there; I respect your beliefs. I am baptized though, but I couldn't stop them. I mean, I wasn't even a year old yet.

I am an atheist because it's not enough evidence for any God at all and I belive in evolution and find it strange with all these religions because they create alot of hate, but of course there is some bright sides about religions. If you are a strong follower of a religion you learn alot of how you should be as a human being and you don't do bad things like killing.

I am baptized though, but I couldn't stop them. I mean, I wasn't even a year old yet.

Yes. In the Catholic Church, baptism is generally chosen by the parents for their child (whom is almost always too young to make the decision), that is why there is a later sacrament named "confirmation" in which the baptized person gets to make the decision for themselves. Either fulfilling what was begun at baptism, or not. ;)

(edited)

I use to be Catholic because I was forced to, but I'm an agnostic/atheist now. I don't believe in a higher power anymore, but I have an open mind and my beliefs might be wrong. I'm not like the negative atheist stereotypes out there; I respect your beliefs. I am baptized though, but I couldn't stop them. I mean, I wasn't even a year old yet.

I'm baptized as well. Twice. Once as a baby and once as an 11 year old.

It's just ducking yourself under water for a very short period of time, so don't worry about it. Unless baptism is something different for Catholics? Either way it's nothing to worry about. lol

I am an atheist because it's not enough evidence for any God at all and I belive in evolution and find it strange with all these religions because they create alot of hate, but of course there is some bright sides about religions. If you are a strong follower of a religion you learn alot of how you should be as a human being and you don't do bad things like killing.

Christians kill all of the time!

I'm not saying that to generalize or anything, I'm just saying that from what I've seen, religion is not good at stopping people from being bad and doing bad things. And you realize with the Bible, it actually sometimes orders you to kill people who are doing certain sins. Now, such barbaric stuff is not tolerated in our modern day society, but it's still there and will always be.

I've never understood how the Ten Commandments could say "Thall shall not kill" but then in the very same book you are ordered to kill others, and murdering happens in it all of the time, and for the most ridiculous of reasons.

I won't kill or harm anybody because I have my own strong sense of morality that is central to me. My morality never came from religion, and it never changed between when I was and wasn't religious. I think the majority of us are like that.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a christian by title... but I don't believe a lot of the stuff that is in the bible. Call me what you may, I just really don't know. I believe in god and all that jazz, but some of the things in the bible just sound way too far fatched to me.

So in other words, a confused christian.

Catholic by denomination. I'm by no means devout but I do try to integrate a good chunk of Catholic ethics into my own behavior.

I'm a christian by title... but I don't believe a lot of the stuff that is in the bible. Call me what you may, I just really don't know. I believe in god and all that jazz, but some of the things in the bible just sound way too far fatched to me.

So in other words, a confused christian.

If you're reading the Bible the same way one might read a historical text, you're doing it wrong. Horribly wrong, might I add. Taking the Bible at face value is the fast track to either misunderstanding its teachings or making false assumptions.

• Brohoof 1

I was baptized a Catholic, I'm going to be confirmed in about a month, I'm currently taking a class on Christian Morality in high school, and my mom is gonna drag me to mass on Easter sunday, but I'm agnostic

I just can't follow a religion, it's not like me... I also have serious doubts about whether or not a god exists (that doesn't mean I've thrown the idea completely out the window, though)

And even after all of this stuff my school and my mom makes me do (the class and confirmation), I still don't have any interest in the whole thing. Religion is supposed to make you feel fulfilled and happy, and it does nothing of the sort for me

I'm not saying that to generalize or anything, I'm just saying that from what I've seen, religion is not good at stopping people from being bad and doing bad things. And you realize with the Bible, it actually sometimes orders you to kill people who are doing certain sins. Now, such barbaric stuff is not tolerated in our modern day society, but it's still there and will always be.

I've never understood how the Ten Commandments could say "Thall shall not kill" but then in the very same book you are ordered to kill others, and murdering happens in it all of the time, and for the most ridiculous of reasons.

The Laws of the Torah are anything but contradictory. Pulling the Ten Commandments out of context and then comparing it to the other laws of the Old Testament will make it appear as a contradiction of moral laws, but when used in it's proper context it is quite clear.

The Ten Commandments are only part of the complete "Mosaic Laws".

The 10 Commandments being the basic basic foundation of moral laws, while the additional laws of the Books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy where designed and enforced specifically for the benefit of the ancient Israelites (which is why those additional laws are null today).

With all due respect, common sense needs to applied when reading the Ten Commandments, taking them purely at face value and then referring to them as contradictions is not the proper approach.

The various additional Mosaic Laws were created exclusively for an ancient civilization that needed strict discipline in order to maintain unity and survive. In modern day society such laws would be absurd if implemented, but in the 2nd century BC they were necessary. As shown through recorded history, once the Israelites lost unity, they were overrun and enslaved.

The division of the kingdom between Israel and Judah resulted in being both kingdoms being conquered by the Babylonians and Assyrians, respectively.

Elaboration of the law is also necessary, which is mostly based on the context. For us, it is the 21st century. For the original readers of the Torah, it was ancient times.

In ancient Israel, the commandment was elaborated (not contradicted) by the rest of the Mosaic laws.

In modern day, the commandment is elaborated through both additional religious doctrines explaining what killing is considered morally wrong and isn't.

Thall shalt not kill

>>>well what about self defense and executions of dangerous criminals?

"Thall shalt not kill" is the foundation of the basic moral law. There are obviously accepted reasons for killing. Should you take the commandment purely at face value, without applying common sense and without placing it in it's proper context, you will be baffled.

Realize that it is a foundational law, and place it in it's proper context (which for us would be modern day) and you can clearly determine it's moral meaning.

I'm baptized as well. Twice. Once as a baby and once as an 11 year old.

It's just ducking yourself under water for a very short period of time, so don't worry about it. Unless baptism is something different for Catholics? Either way it's nothing to worry about. lol

I won't kill or harm anybody because I have my own strong sense of morality that is central to me. My morality never came from religion, and it never changed between when I was and wasn't religious. I think the majority of us are like that.

Yeah, I agre with you... And I didn't mean christianity when I was talking about this actually... or at least not in general. I have respect for buddhism for example, that's a good religion, but yeah I am not saying that people that are following religions don't kill at all, but some learn good things in it... But still religion is bad in my eyes.

I'm a budhist, I believe every religion through peace.

Posted Image Well... I'm actually an atheist, but peace is good... :)

(edited)

Agnostic.

I've been a part of several religious groups: Protestant, Sunni, Atheist, et cetera et cetera; but now I've set out to find a set of morals without the hangups of killing my neighbor because he got it on with an oxen, burning a place of worship in the name of the most merciful, or running myself up a wall to prove or disprove a celestial being.

The bottom line for me is: I can't prove it or disprove it, ergo; I should just live for my allotted time and, well, do something to benefit someone other than myself.

Edited by moosefullaeggs