Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is everyone accusing the staff of "pandering?"

Pony Of The Month

Are you telling me that the show's following is completely artificial and that everyone should stop believing? Man, you just opened my eyes! I will spread your message about this in hope others will see how wrong they were to believe in something that has no importance what so ever in anyone daily's life.

I always moan about people 'over interpreting' things, but actually BEING able to interpret stuff makes you a smart fella in my books, and that is enough for me to redeem any annoyance of their misinterpretation. (Like the fact that Twilight is secretly an Alicorn that only exists because Celestia does not wish to reveal herself as being a bookworm. No god would want that!!)

If people believe that what ever was put in the show was made for the fandom then let them believe that. It makes the show much more enjoyable and gives it certain kind of interaction that you don't get out of similar media.

Your 'analysis' is pretty misguided by your own will to see a pattern somewhere, and you know that but I am still going to remind you of it.

A FEW SELECT INDIVIDUALS CANNOT REPRESENT A GROUP OF PEOPLE IN ANY WAY AND BASING YOUR BEHAVIOUR ON THOSE INDIVIDUALS IS BOTH FALLACIOUS AND PRETENTIOUS AND YOU SHOULD STOP BEFORE ANGERING SOME PEOPLE.

Edited by Neikos Alaiko'Kain
  • Brohoof 1

@, you are probably right with the Scootaloo/ Rainbow Dash thing, but it's really embarrasing when you don't have evidence to base your words on. I did my research and the term "alicorn"  was in fact, used by the first time by the fandom. Here's a link: http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/Alicorn

also, we have no evidence if they knew or not knew about the term, but they publicly refered alicorns as "pegasus unicorns"

• Brohoof 2

@, you are probably right with the Scootaloo/ Rainbow Dash thing, but it's really embarrasing when you don't have evidence to base your words on. I did my research and the term "alicorn"  was in fact, used by the first time by the fandom. Here's a link: http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/Alicorn

also, we have no evidence if they knew or not knew about the term, but they publicly refered alicorns as "pegasus unicorns"

That link never says that the term was created by the fandom, it just says that they use it. If you google "alicorn" and ignore all the MLP stuff that comes up, you will see the term alicorn used without any reference to MLP whatsoever. 

The reason you'll see a lot of MLP related stuff, is because the fandom uses the term more than anyone else.

Okay, I'll tell you guys something, Everything this show is to offer is fanbased. If the show's creators, were not motivated by the brony fanbase, then why wouldn't they make this show like any other little girls show? and pause for 5 seconds, every time they ask a question? Bronies are keeping the show alive with the fanbase, they're motivating the show's creators to keep making what we like. I'm not bothered if they're making the show closer to the fanbase. That's what makes MLP especial if you ask me, a show that is as close to it's fandom, and tries to improve it by taking it's ideas

The G3 Pinkie Pie reference, why would the cast add that? knowing full well that most bronies avoid G3. And if there weren't bronies, how would little girls react to it? Come On, you gotta think from other's point of view before saying "NOPE not a reference to Bronies" 

Rule 63 and Shipping? Puuh-Lease, it's not a reference to either of those things, although I quite enjoy them, I joked about the both and said they weren't feeding us with out likes by adding those to the episodes. ((especially since MLP wouldn't be the first doing it xD))

Edited by Pinkazoid!
  • Brohoof 5

That link never says that the term was created by the fandom, it just says that they use it. If you google "alicorn" and ignore all the MLP stuff that comes up, you will see the term alicorn used without any reference to MLP whatsoever. 

The reason you'll see a lot of MLP related stuff, is because the fandom uses the term more than anyone else.

ok it doesn't matter who created it (though I'm sure it wasn't used by the creators of the show), our only subjects are the bronies and the creators of the show, and it's a fact the we popularized the term again, so by them mentioning it in the show was an obvious reference.

Well, people tend to read a lot into things they like. Overthink it if you will. Some things are actual fanservice, most are probably not. I stress probably. You don't know. I don't know. Maybe even the creators don't know.

On the other hand, when for example Luna appearing makes thousands of people really happy, why not let them be happy?

• Brohoof 2

If the show's creators, were not motivated by the brony fanbase, then why wouldn't they make this show like any other little girls show?

The original intention of the show was to NOT be like any other little girls show. This was before bronies even existed.

The G3 Pinkie Pie reference, why would the cast add that? knowing full well that most bronies avoid G3. And if there weren't bronies, how would little girls react to it? Come On, you gotta think from other's point of view before saying "NOPE not a reference to Bronies" 

Some of the staff on G4 used to work on G3. It could just be a reference to the staff. It's an inside joke; 

The original intention of the show was to NOT be like any other little girls show. This was before bronies even existed.

Some of the staff on G4 used to work on G3. It could just be a reference to the staff. It's an inside joke; 

So in a way, the bronies are just an invisible force that affects the show in no sort of way?

I doubt so, why do they keep trying? Why do they constantly improve? Why does the staff communicate, and attend it's fanbase?

If they spoil us a little by giving us wants, then so what? I'm not complaining the staff is close to us, and I won't complain of what they're giving us in the past episodes. Why do you keep they kept the Trixie episode for this long, until they finally showed it?

Everything is fan service, if it's not, then what is it for?

Even 6 year old girls are fans. They're making us happy by continuing this show, so why is it so bad?

So in a way, the bronies are just an invisible force that affects the show in no sort of way?

I doubt so, why do they keep trying? Why do they constantly improve? Why does the staff communicate, and attend it's fanbase?

If they spoil us a little by giving us wants, then so what? I'm not complaining the staff is close to us, and I won't complain of what they're giving us in the past episodes. Why do you keep they kept the Trixie episode for this long, until they finally showed it?

Everything is fan service, if it's not, then what is it for?

Even 6 year old girls are fans. They're making us happy by continuing this show, so why is it so bad?

I'm not saying that bronies have absolutely zero influence on the show, Of course that's not true. They even said Derpy's name in an episode. And I'm not saying that fan service is a bad thing, In fact, my original post was intended to those people who are accusing the show of "pandering" and are upset about it, when there really is no "pandering" at all. My point is that the staff is still making the show the way that they want to. Sure, there is brony influence, but it's not affecting the entire story of the show. Some of the humor is  influenced by the fans, but the overall story is only a little influenced. Too much influence can be a bad thing. As a storyteller, you want to tell. ,YOUR story, not the fans' story.

And I still believe that some bronies are taking more credit for the show than they deserve. They tend to assume that something is either a brony referenced, when there is no evidence for it.

I'm not saying that bronies have absolutely zero influence on the show, Of course that's not true. They even said Derpy's name in an episode. And I'm not saying that fan service is a bad thing, In fact, my original post was intended to those people who are accusing the show of "pandering" and are upset about it, when there really is no "pandering" at all. My point is that the staff is still making the show the way that they want to. Sure, there is brony influence, but it's not affecting the entire story of the show. Some of the humor is  influenced by the fans, but the overall story is only a little influenced. Too much influence can be a bad thing. As a storyteller, you want to tell. ,YOUR story, not the fans' story.

And I still believe that some bronies are taking more credit for the show than they deserve. They tend to assume that something is either a brony referenced, when there is no evidence for it.

Well, that's what I've been saying all along, but we did have some influence over this episodes, but all I see it as is wishes that came true, we all wanted a scootalove episode, we got it, there's no reason to hate anyone for it, I won't take credit, and no one else should. I get that.

• Brohoof 1

Magic Duel. This episode was planned way back in season 1, way before they even knew what a brony was, and was originally going to be a season 2 episode. Just because Trixie is a fan favorite, doesn't mean that bringing her back for an episode is "fanservice," 

And most of the "references" in this episode were just references to past episodes. They are not referencing bronies in any way. Referencing past episodes is nothing new for cartoons. Plenty of other cartoons do it, Don't believe me, than watch Phineas And Ferb.

You said the planned it just because she was a fan favorite. Making it 'fanservice'. In a technical way of speaking. Also, Bronies are fans. So being a basic fan of MLP:FiM makes you a Brony/Pegasister. 

My LOL time is over now.

You said the planned it just because she was a fan favorite. Making it 'fanservice'. In a technical way of speaking. Also, Bronies are fans. So being a basic fan of MLP:FiM makes you a Brony/Pegasister. 

My LOL time is over now.

I didn't say that they planned it because Trixie was a fan favorite. They planned it before they even knew Trixie was a fan favorite.

And I don't ever recall saying I wasn't a brony. In fact, I got a brony wallet yesterday. LOL

I didn't say that they planned it because Trixie was a fan favorite. They planned it before they even knew Trixie was a fan favorite.

And I don't ever recall saying I wasn't a brony. In fact, I got a brony wallet yesterday. LOL

Well it would have been better if you specified that. And I never recall saying you weren't a Brony.

This could go on forever, honestly.

In all honesty, this is the one thing I strongly dislike about the fandom. Why are there so many complaints about the subtle fan shoutouts?

I honestly don't see any fan pandering either, just subtle hints that the creators are listening, why is that so bad.

I'm a bit confused :/

• Brohoof 2

I'm only gonna say 1 thing. "The Alicorn Amulet", the term "alicorn" was created by the fandom and never used by Hasbro. This IS fan service.

Not really.  Alicorn is a term that has existed long before My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  Evidence: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alicorn  and then of course this piece of artwork that was drawn and submitted 4 months before the show started and the term Alicorn is used: http://www.elfwood.com/~cori/Alicorn-Sketch.3562239.html 

As for the original topic, I'd completley agree with the OP.  When I watch Season 3 I do not see Pandering or excessive fan service like so many people are crying and whinning about as if the show got handed over to another company or something. 

• Brohoof 1

And I never recall saying you weren't a Brony.

Well, I may have misinterpreted this, but you did say:

Bronies are fans. So being a basic fan of MLP:FiM makes you a Brony/Pegasister. 

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that. Sorry for the misunderstanding 

As mentioned elsewhere, the script for Magic Duel was written a long time ago. The decision to actually call Trixie's magic item the alicorn amulet may have been made at a later date, possibly when the voice recording took place. This raises two questions:

1. If not the alicorn amulet, what was magic object with a winged unicorn going to be called?

2. Who invented the word alicorn in the first place? It's not a common word and it's not found in my dictionary or at etymology online. But as Flutterbass pointed out, it wasn't invented by bronies. I've seen it before MLP:FiM came into existence as a word for a mythological unicorn with wings. A google search brought up this at tvtropes.org: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WingedUnicorn

“Also known as a pegicorn, unipeg, or cerapter*. Occasionally winged unicorns are referred to as alicorns, which is a portmanteau of the French words for wing (aile) and horn (corne). Note that in French, the word for unicorn is also licorne. However, be careful with this usage because the word alicorn also refers to the horn of a unicorn itself, a li translating to "secured" (so a li corne meaning "secured horn").”

It still strikes me as odd that they waited until Magic Duel to use the word alicorn instead of clumsy terms like pegasus unicorn or whatever. To finally say alicorn may be a desire for simplicity, a nod to a fandom that's been using it a long time, or a little of both.

Edited by Wingnut

In all honesty, this is the one thing I strongly dislike about the fandom. Why are there so many complaints about the subtle fan shoutouts?

I honestly don't see any fan pandering either, just subtle hints that the creators are listening, why is that so bad.

I'm a bit confused :/

Yes, well, you see, we aren't allowed to enjoy anything unless the Council of Dark Elders of Internet agrees first. Obviously they decided recently that everything has to be blatantly obvious or it isn't there and unless you can prove it's there with absolute certainty, you aren't allowed to enjoy it.

It's true, I swear.

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 1

I think the main problem is that apparently often times when a show listens too much to its fans, the show ends up going downhill. 

Which is also why so many people don't like the idea of fan service. They don't understand that there CAN be fan service without it going downhill. 

Also, usually shipping referring to what you see in the show, are just to be funny. 

While some people do like certain shippings, they don't 100% believe it when they see something like it on TV.

Think more, lol shipping, instead of, OMG SHIPPING!

To end this off, I really think people do need to realize that just because there is fan service, (how few it actually is), doesn't mean the show will go down hill. 

People are also scared of there being a movie, (if any), because they think the show will end up like Spongebob.

• Shipping: You are probably right. Obviously in the show, it's impossible that they would make an obvious relationship between 2 characters of the cast, that's not gonna happen ever! but at this point, every single frame of the 22 minutes long of each episode will be meticulously analyzed by all of us, and the small reference to something will fuel a lot of shipping art and fics. No matter what, it is fan service if the show can promote this sort of things (fics, art, music etc) called shipping (a term created by us bronies), even if it wasn't their intention. My example, I don't know if you notice but Rarity and Applejack seem to be a lot more closer this season. Perhaps they didn't intend to ship these 2, but these small scenes involving these 2 ponies is flamable material for bronies.

Highly incorrect my good man. The term 'shipping' was not invented by bronies. Shipping existed long before MLP: FiM.

Beyond that, I mostly agree with the original post. But with shipping, you'd have to be a shipper to understand how it works. And in my opinion, shipping can not be consider pandering. It only exists in the mind of shippers.

And one last thing. An informational video.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, well, you see, we aren't allowed to enjoy anything unless the Council of Dark Elders of Internet agrees first. Obviously they decided recently that everything has to be blatantly obvious or it isn't there and unless you can prove it's there with absolute certainty, you aren't allowed to enjoy it.

It's true, I swear.

Lol, I wouldn't doubt it :lol:

But In all honesty, that isn't the only thing that aggravates me... it's the fact that community gets upset when there are supposed shoutouts to the faanbase and they up and quit the fandom because of this accusing the creators of "pandering to the fans"

What is this I don't even :/

Edited by ~ds8~
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, I have never accused the wrriters of pandering, EVEN THOUGH, there have been things that have done by the fandom that appeared in the show, probably for pure coincidence or such. (For example, remember the Pinkie watching paint dry? That was a fanfic long before the Too Many Pinkie Pies episode).

HOWEVER, there's also one thing that I believe most people either forget or don't know about. The episodes take MORE THAN A YEAR to make. Meghan McCarthy, the lead writer, showed so herself. The episode concept for "Magic Duel" was delivered on January 2011. Meaning, barely months after the show AIRED.

And if that wasn't enough, since the start, the episodes' titles have had reference for other things, like "The Ticket Master" and "Boast Busters" (yes, those ARE references, I just found out myself). Which means they have doins small stuff older people would catch from the very, very start.

However, during the development from the episodes, the writers, the storyboarders, etc, CAN see other things that have come out from the fandom. And frankly, I find it weird how sometimes people forget that they can get INSPIRATION from them. It isn't pandering when outside sourcess give you an idea. That's what writers do a lot of the times after all. Catch ideas from outside, and twist them into something else that becomes their own from there.

So honestly, unless you count the Derpy thing, nothing really has been pandering. Pandering involves to do something to please. And I'm pretty damn sure that with lots of references they had done FROM THE START, make the crew enjoy themselves. A lot. And I like to give them vredit that they know better than to pander to make an episode. They are capable enough to pander and still make it good very good, however, they also have their own ideas. So I don't really thing pandering has been done. In fact, people forget something about the brony influnce. Do you want to know what's the biggest influence of them all?

The crew now have far less to worry about what they use and actually can get more creative with it.

MLP: FIM will forver be a kids/family show at heart. But the best part of knowing your audience, is that you know that what you do might get more appreciated before. For example, I'll say a couple stuff that are JUST from Apple Family Reunion.

"Oh look, the stars represent AJ's dead parents...this will certainly give older people something to think about. Especially bronies"

"Oh look, that's a nice 1,2,3,4 in the song......kids are gonna LOVE that thing"

Those are my thoughts on two of the most called out things from AFR. The first doesn't show us that they are pandering to bronies. Lauren Faust had FROM THE START the idea that AJ (and by extension, Big Mac and Applebloom) had her mom and dad dead. And it also shows that they have the stories of each character well thought out

The second is that, if they WERE pandering to bronies, they would have probably left the 1,2,3,4 out for sure, IMO. Personally I loved it, but most think it's silly. They forget kids also watch this.

Anything Pinkie Pie does can actually be consider as herself. AKA being Pinkie Pie. She's the reincarnation of a lot of the Looney Tunes characters, we HAVE seen this, especially after an episode like "Feeling Pinkie Keen". So honestly, why would the hand thing be outside that...when I have seen similar stuff done for the Looney Tunes? Even the FRIGGIN WILHELM SCREAM, which appeared in AFR and Magic Duel sounds like something that FiM's kind of humor has seen to have shown. They are not afraid to use stuff that goes to older people for sure.

The Alicorn Amulet? Well...ummm...guys? The alicorn amulet sounds something that would come straight from Dungeons & Dragons or similar. We have seen plenty of those type of monsters appear in FiM. And D&D is a company that is owned by Hasbro. I am pretty sure that the crew did their fair share of research before anything else.

And there are many, many more things So honestly, when people ask if it's pandering or not...I think they should ask themselves the next question:

"Is what they did so out of character and so out of the questions for the writers to have done, that all that is left to be said is that it was done to please bronies?"

Scootaloo Episode: Probably you are very right, but what a coincedence it would be if after bronies hinting and moaning about a Rainbow Dash/Scootaloo apprentice/mentor relationship in art and fics, they decided to wait after 3 seasons to deliver a Scootaloo episode. hmmm suspicious?...maybe.

Ummm...Sparky?... I'm gonna have to correct you slightly on that. If you didn't realize, every CMC member got their own very centric of themselves own episode...one CMC member per season.

Applebloom. "Call of the Cutie" Season 1. While Appplebloom has had other episodes, she wasn't the absolute star in them, especially not after the CMC appeared.

Sweetie Belle. "Sisterhooves Social" Season 2.

Scootaloo, "Sleepless in Ponyville" Season 3.

So I don't really think that they heard any fan cry calls. Of course, they knew this would please them for sure, but they do it for bronies, also for sure IMO.

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 3

(for example, remember the Pinkie watching paint dry? That was a fanfic long before the Too Many Pinkie Pies episode).

That was probably just a coincidence. The writers are not allowed to read fanfics, but if they were, they would probably only have time to read a few. This is not the most popular fic out there (but it is one of my favorites) so it's not very likely that they would ever stumble on this.

• Brohoof 1

Lol, I wouldn't doubt it :lol:

But In all honesty, that isn't the only thing that aggravates me... it's the fact that community gets upset when there are supposed shoutouts to the faanbase and they up and quit the fandom because of this accusing the creators of "pandering to the fans"

What is this I don't even :/

I really don't know. Some people need something to complain about, and if you can diminish how much people enjoy the show in the process - brilliant! It was always my dream to be an ass ever since early childhood!

Do you see the crew saying "Hello, bronies" every minute of every episode? That's really cool, even if little self-centered. Do you think they never did even a single shoutout  and the fanbase never influenced the show in the slightest way? Ok, that might be skeptical in unhealthy way, but ok. No need to work hard to make sure people will give up either of those beliefs.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my Elders hypothesis, it doesn't make me dislike random people.