Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is everyone accusing the staff of "pandering?"

Pony Of The Month

That was probably just a coincidence. The writers are not allowed to read fanfics, but if they were, they would probably only have time to read a few. This is not the most popular fic out there (but it is one of my favorites) so it's not very likely that they would ever stumble on this.

Eh heh heh, I should have proably rephrased myself there. :blush: What I meant was, that there have been things that might have appeared as if they were taken from the fandom. But I do know that the writers are forbidden from reading fanfics and such. Doesn't mean the rest though. Otherwise, Tabitha St. Germain, the VA for Rarity, Luna, Granny Smith and more wouldn't have bought a copy of the books of Fallout: Equestria. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

That was probably just a coincidence. The writers are not allowed to read fanfics, but if they were, they would probably only have time to read a few. This is not the most popular fic out there (but it is one of my favorites) so it's not very likely that they would ever stumble on this.

Eh heh heh, I should have proably rephrased myself there. :blush: What I meant was, that there have been things that might have appeared as if they were taken from the fandom. But I do know that the writers are forbidden from reading fanfics and such. Doesn't mean the rest though. Otherwise, Tabitha St. Germain, the VA for Rarity, Luna, Granny Smith and more wouldn't have bought a copy of the books of Fallout: Equestria. :lol:

Those are both good points.  Animation artists and VAs are just carrying out orders written by someone else so it doesn't matter if they read fanfics.  But if I was directly involved in writing for a major TV program, a canon creator so to speak, I know I wouldn't want my idea process to be corrupted by fan made works.  If I was Jim Wooten, Meghan, or any of the regular writers, I wouldn't need instructions to stay away from fanfics.  I'd abstain voluntarily. 

But how can a no read mandate be enforced?  Are the writers expected to simply honor this rule?  And if they break it, how would they get caught unless something obvious made its way into a draft script?  I have no clue whether it is tempting for some writers to peek at fanfics or not. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if I think it's pandering or not but I'm leaning towards no with some small exceptions.

Why are some people getting their underwear in a bunch?  applejackunsure.png

If some bronies want to believing it's pandering/ fan servicing let them if some others don't so be it. It's just ones opinion......

Unless Hasbro says "We are not pandering," as if they'd ever do that..... let people think what they want to think, it's part pf the fun of being a brony to over analyse sometimes. 

I agree though it is  annoying at times but I just ignore it and let them think what they wanna think..no need for me to get flustered over a person's non-detrimental opinion.everyponyshrugplz.gif?1

Edited by PonyPowaX1000
  • Brohoof 1

Thanks you had some of the same reasons I had ;) I do think male A.j did look slightly too similar to the fan-made gender-bent A.j but even if a show does throw a bone to the audience I love that other than get mad about it. I think it's cool however mlp does very little if any of it.

I think the distinction needs to be made between fan service and pandering. One is servicing a fanbase(which they are doing) and the other is catering the lower tastes. The former occures in all shows at least all the ones with fans. Just releasing an episode is a service to the fans. The latter however is catering to the fans by using what others would call the lower tastes( rule 63, shipping, bringing a character in for no other reason than to please fans). A minority of the fandom has been accusing the production team of the latter. This position however seems to crumble when held to scrutiny. Magical duel was thought to be pandering do to the reappearance of a fan favorite antagonist. It has now come to light that the episode was pitched in 2011 casting that concern into a dark pit. 

The closest I think we could even hint the show has even come to pandering would be Derpy, but she had mostly background appearances and one speaking role. Those were little nods and acknowledgements not pandering. 

I would agree with most of the points stated in that none of these things listed would count as pandering. 

~Flutterbass~

I've merged your thread, 'I Still Don't see any Fanservice', with 'Why is everyone accusing the staff of 'pandering?' They're both made by you, and they're both really about the same topic of 'the staff purposefully putting content the fandom has latched onto, into the show, to please them', and whether that's true or not. Your first post in the second thread really works just fine as a continuation of your first thread as well, so all in all, I don't see enough difference for them to be separate.