NavelColt

50 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Brace yourselves my friends. This one is gonna hit you like a brick wall. Have tissue ready if you're extremely sensitive to touchy stuff.

attachicon.gifAJs parents.png

Even though Applejack says they'll probably be too "busy" to all come for the next one, her body language suggests she's thinking of the other meaning of "not making it."  Saying that someone might not "make it" is an allowable euphemism for death that cartoonists have used for decades.  That was a good observation by whoever put that together.  The subtle reference to their parents being deceased isn't quite as subtle as I thought it was at first.  ;)

It's also possible Granny Smith did mean some other ponies might not live to see the next reunion and that Applejack's protective big sister instincts kicked in.  She said they might be too busy to come to protect Apple Bloom from hearing unnecessary talk about death. 

Edited by Wingnut

Nice Little Touches

Pinkie burping out the bee, it's funny because only Pinkie Pie could do that and have it make sense

AJ's cough after she gets covered in glitter, cute in an odd way

AJ getting zaped

Spike as a lighter

The way the fillies greet each other at the reunion's beginning

"fuhgeddaboudit"- I'm pretty sure Babs doesn't actually have a New York accent, but I laughed anyway

"Seriously?"- something about that line coming from Applebloom is amusing

Big Mac sneaking a bite of fritter

Babs says there'll be new Crusaders, yay!

The two falling stars, if symbolism is the best we'll get regarding AJ's parents, I'll take it

Nitpicks

Stop making ponies sit like humans, that's only alright for Lyra

To be honest, I'm bored with the Wilhelm scream

More serious flaws

-AJ calls making apple fritters an assembly line, uses the word "break", and says "minutes up" as if she heard Babs and still isn't aware of what the problem is. I get that she's gotten carried away but c'mon.

-Raise This Barn was a subpar musical number by FiM standards (though at least better than Ballad of the Crystal Empire).

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 1

Here you go :( ------> shooting_stars_by_royalppurpl3-d5p29vs.p

I tell yah, I've never been so heavily affected by something from a ccartoon as this. Oh well, it makes me all the more interested in AJ. Just, what did happen to her parents, anyways.....

I wonder if we will ever know, but I know some truly great fanfics will be coming soon. I need to invest in some extra boxes of tissues, because I gotta say nothing will rattle my heart more than if they passed away doing something great to defend the Apple family name or something to honor them.

I wonder if we will ever know, but I know some truly great fanfics will be coming soon. I need to invest in some extra boxes of tissues, because I gotta say nothing will rattle my heart more than if they passed away doing something great to defend the Apple family name or something to honor them.

I actually saw this neat little theory I saw somewhere, although it sounds a little far-fetched. I can always hope.

In the next episode, Spike is supposedly saved by AJ from being eaten by timberwolves. Maybe AJ's parents were killed by timberwolves when trying to protect her while she was young or something like that, and she didn't want an event to repeat like that again. I say it's far-fetched since it's a little grim, plus, anypony would've saved Spike's ass anyways from being eaten. Nopony is that mean-spirited.

Edited by spas-ticShotty
  • Brohoof 2

I actually saw this neat little theory I saw somewhere, although it sounds a little far-fetched. I can always hope.

In the next episode, Spike is supposedly saved by AJ from being eaten by timberwolves. Maybe AJ's parents were killed by timberwolves when trying to protect her while she was young or something like that, and she didn't want an event to repeat like that again. I say it's far-fetched since it's a little grim, plus, anypony would've saved Spike's ass anyways from being eaten. Nopony is that mean-spirited.

Sounds a little... harsh to be a MLP story but like you said, can always hope. It'd be a GREAT way to tell us what happened, but something like that would be pushed away from Hasbro I think. But hey, you never know. I absolutely love this huge guessing game.

• Brohoof 1

Sounds a little... harsh to be a MLP story but like you said, can always hope. It'd be a GREAT way to tell us what happened, but something like that would be pushed away from Hasbro I think. But hey, you never know. I absolutely love this huge guessing game.

If there ever is an MLP movie, they should take the risk on explaining why AJ's parents died if they never do on the show. Movie adaptions always take more risks than their TV counterparts.

• Brohoof 1

If there ever is an MLP movie, they should take the risk on explaining why AJ's parents died if they never do on the show. Movie adaptions always take more risks than their TV counterparts.

I think we as Bronies are about due for a full explanation after this season. Unless they manage to tie all these loops together before then, they are kinda shaking us around my our hearts and minds not to explain it some how. I trust the Hasbro and the Hub will do something for us. We've been way too nice for them not to do something for all of us. They have been heavy with the mysteries this season, they have GOT to have something planned for us.

• Brohoof 1

I think we as Bronies are about due for a full explanation after this season. Unless they manage to tie all these loops together before then, they are kinda shaking us around my our hearts and minds not to explain it some how. I trust the Hasbro and the Hub will do something for us. We've been way too nice for them not to do something for all of us. They have been heavy with the mysteries this season, they have GOT to have something planned for us.

I like having these loose ends though. Everyone wishes their favorite fanfictions could appear in the actual show, but the reason why those fanfics could be written was that the writers left that area for the viewers to explore and speculate on. We can all think of our very own history of Applejack.

• Brohoof 1

Over-clocking anti-feel shields. Feels detected. Feel impact imminent in 1, 2, 3, 4. I’d like to start off with a resounding FUCK YES given that I’ve witnessed the first ever FULLLENGTHAPPLEMOTHERFUCKINGJACKSONG, hot damn. People let me reassure you that that was some genuine fiddle and banjo. Albeit, hoof on fiddle is slightly far-fetched, but then again, so are candy colored talking horses.

Two problems with that episode. Firstly, all that cute should be outlawed by the FDA. Overdosing isn’t any good for my health. Second, Applejack’s parents. The two stars were more than enough conformation for us to assume that they are deceased. That was of course followed up with AJ’s need to make the most outta this family reunion because she never knows when it might be everypony’s last. My beef is not with her parent’s death; however, It saddens me that they weren’t included in the flashback or any of the family photos. I am saddened. :( BUT, I can understand why it may  have been left out.

Other than that, this was a solid applesode, for me. I mean seriously, kick out the other five already. “My Little Applejack” tear-jearker ain’t it? Babs voice really grew on me this time ‘round. I’ve got a hankering to see a Manehattan CMC-centric episode come season 6. Bon-bon and Cloud-Chaser...apple family? Seems Legit. I could use a pony comic on the very peevish sneaking of unrelated peeps into family reunions. (hint-hint: find it) Thanks for smelling me, I’m off to make graphics interchange files. That shit was magical.

Sorreh if there were any redundancies...

/fangasm

Soooo...neeeeeewwww AJ episode? Yes please! I had been waiting for this to be honest. And I'm not even an AJ fan! :P But anyway, let's get started!

First, did I like the episode? Yes I did. A lot, actually. But like I always say, I enjoy every episode a lot. :lol: To me, this was a great AJ episode, in that it showed the mistake to the one thing she cares the most. Her family.

Tasked with making the Apple Family Reunion, which might as well be the most attended one until who knows when, AJ's mind went overdrive. And she was NOT going to let it get out of her hooves...of course, this totally failed for the most part. She tried to do too much for something that required much less. She wanted the bonding to last as much as possible...but took all the fun out of it. She forgot the most important words.

Quality over quantity.

That's how I reduce this. Granny herself said it. The idea of the reunion is so that every member of the Apple family can have a nice bonding time after being separated for so long. It was a nice touch to add to AJ's personality, and in my opinion, fits in.

Then, we have the rest. Personally, I don't take in comebacks as much as others do, but it WAS nice to see Babs and Braburn come back. And especially the "small" stories Babs was able to tell. Continuity FTW!

And then the song. I. Loved. That. Song. Seriously. I think it's one of my favorites. And it also reminded me of something.

FIM is still a kids show at heart.

People complain about the 1,2,3,4...but...imagine the kids who are smaller than most of us. Honestly, for those who loved the song and episode, I can see them walking out singing "1,2,3,4" and be very merry while doing so. And I'm thinking that Daniel Ingram had that in mind as well. So personally, I loved it.

And then, there's the gags. Spike lighter, trademark registered by the way :P , Granny Smith's various phrases and faces, fruit bats, random bolt, edible glitter, Wilhelm scream...honestly, enough "Uh oh" and "Pfffft hahaha" happened IMO. I all that.

I know this wan't much of a analysis but...I think there's something growing in the Season. So far, all the episodes, has had a strong sense to show friendship (duh), family, and the most of all, forgiveness. Something this Season has been using a lot and...I can't wait to see the end result of all that... :)

Anything else has already been said countless of times by others, like AJ's parents being confirmed dead, and the awesome animation (and sudden new Apple relatives :P )

@@Stellafera, Well, would you look at that, you wanted an AJ episode with Cindy morrow, you got it. :lol: Also, interesting thing about those patterns. Every 5th episode was wrote by Ms. Morrow...

they were forced into raising the barn,

I personally don't agree with this. First, they did it to help Applejack. Two, they did it because it was a nice time to spend time together. Three, they also saw how hard Applejack had worked and how sad she was when she screwed badly. If there's anything the Apples have, is that they are close in family, and would not let someone be sad if they can help it. And honestly, that strong sense of family connection is great for kids to see IMO. 

Who wrote this? "Cindy Morrow"? Who is that?

None other than the writer for:

"Griffon the Brush-Off", "Winter Wrap-Up", "The Show Stoppers", "Owl's Well That Ends Well", "Sisterhooves Social", "Family Appreciation Day", "Read It and Weep", "Hurricane Fluttershy", and "One Bad Apple".

In other words, she's a veteran of FIM from the very start, and has had plenty of successful episodes. Trust me, she isn't just any writer.

• Brohoof 4

Overall, I thought this episode was "bleh" - boring, predictable, and awkward. I knew what was going to happen - Applejack will plan the reunion, Applejack plans too many activities and no time for talking and hanging out - and then I was stuck just waiting for the inevitable. Unlike other episodes, though, I did not have much desire to see the journey to the lesson learned.

We spend a lot of time (perhaps too much) looking through the scrapbook, which I didn't find particularly interesting, and burn more time on a preparation montage that doesn't really provide much new information. Then it was painful to watch Applejack suck the fun out of all the activities by making them basically purely about work. I know that that was the point of the episode, but that didn't make it any more enjoyable to watch.

I think the song was more childish than other songs in the show - annoyingly repetitive, lyrical lameness dialed up to 11, and not very musically complex or interesting, although you might get it stuck in your head through sheer repetition. My opinion isn't helped by the fact that I don't like that genre of music. The instrumentation was good enough, but (to their credit) I think that is par for the course for this show.

I personally didn't like the country/hillbilly/folksy/etc. cliches or the big family cliches, and all the country accents got on my nerves. I come from a big immediate family (I am one of nine kids) and from a big extended family on my mother's side (she is one of eight kids), and my personal experience with family reunions doesn't bear much resemblance to the one on the show. I enjoy spending time with my immediate family, particularly my close-in-age siblings, but I was never all that close to any of my cousins, aunts and uncles. Consequently, when my family goes to giant family reunions, I and my siblings might do a little requisite small talk, but we mostly keep to ourselves and feel like it's kind of pointless for us to stay there very long (although we always end up doing so because of my mom). Maybe people without many immediate siblings are closer to their cousins than I am, since I have always had my immediate family to talk to and spend time with.

A few nitpicks:

There are multiple potential issues with the family reunion timeline and the number of members of their family, but I think I'll try to write a separate topic about that.

Apple Bloom and Babs tell Applejack that they just want time to talk on more than one occasion, and Applejack replies with "You'll get to spend time with each other while doing x!" I felt like telling her "That's not what they want! Listen to what they're saying!" Again, I know that was just part of the episode to have Applejack miss the point, but it was annoying to me.

Sewing machines that run on their own motors and have starter cords? I guess they couldn't easily have electric-powered sewing machines outside, but do these sewing machines exist? Do they run on some kind of fossil fuel? I wouldn't want to be in a tent with 3 gasoline motors emitting carbon monoxide and other pollutants, even if the tent is open on one side.

Why would the fruit bats be attracted to the apples in Auntie Applesauce's hat when there are probably hundreds of apples hanging on the trees free for the taking? Are the fruit bats only interested because they're a moving target?

"Seriously?"- something about that line coming from Applebloom is amusing (...)   Nitpicks Stop making ponies sit like humans

I guess, we are totally on the same page here - I also felt the need to talk about these points ion my video review. 

And about the "nice little touches" you mentioned - except maybe for your enthusiasm for new crusaders in Manehatten: Coulnd agree more - those were some great scenes ^^

except maybe for your enthusiasm for new crusaders in Manehatten

About the CMC, the idea of a support group dedicated to helping young ponies with the loss of confidence and bullying that comes with being a "blank flank" is a good one with potential, seeing it start out from the humble origins of three young fillies bonding over a shared problem and then growing into a fully-fledged organization would be satisfying so it excites me that the show seems to be heading in that direction.

About your review, it was thoughtful as ever, but I disagree. True, building a barn is physical labor but that observation misses the point. What's relevant is the shift in perspective that occurs between the events AJ set up for the reunion and the rebuilding of the barn itself. At first, AJ was imposing her will onto her family, albeit accidentally, and they went along with it because their sense of dedication to family told them to respect the wishes of their gracious host. When the barn was destroyed and AJ was crying, there was nothing left for it, so they spoke up. What’s crucial to understand is that AJ- as a member of their family- matters to them. When they see her happy the labor is an unpleasant duty but when she breaks down helping her becomes fun because it’s something they want to do. They feel sorry for AJ and wish to help because they know she was doing her best and was sincerely sorry for screwing up- as they should. Before, AJ's activities separated and regulated them but free from these contraints their desire to help, this shared family goal, allows them to take joy in the labor. The difference between AJ being happy and her being upset is all the difference in the world to them, as it would for any member of their family.

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 3

good episode! a little akward in parts but, heck yeah bab's is back! love it! then the shooting stars, i had to shed a man tear and give the computer screen a hug! all in all great episode!

Maybe if Applejack's parents died, maybe Rainbow Dash's parents died as well. Maybe that's why we never see Rainbow Dash's parents in the series at all.  :huh:  Just a little thought of mine.

• Brohoof 2

I'm thinking, by Galex DJ's logic.. RDs and AJs parents died in the same situation. Maybe they were having a picnic somewhere and someone (or thing) tried to take the foals.. thus the parents were killed.. and Granny Smith gave Rainbow Dash to someone related to her.

Or RDs parents are just elsewhere sand RD live on her own :/ But considering the size of Rainbows house.. she could be from a rich family

• Brohoof 1

I'm thinking, by Galex DJ's logic.. RDs and AJs parents died in the same situation. Maybe they were having a picnic somewhere and someone (or thing) tried to take the foals.. thus the parents were killed.. and Granny Smith gave Rainbow Dash to someone related to her.

Or RDs parents are just elsewhere sand RD live on her own :/ But considering the size of Rainbows house.. she could be from a rich family

Something in the back of mah brain tells me that only AJ's parents are dead. I feel like RD lives on her own, since she seems like the one who wants to get away from the rules of her parent's houselife  :P. I'm also guessing that Fluttershy lives seperately from hers as well (I don't think we've ever seen them).

Edited by spas-ticShotty

About the CMC, the idea of a support group dedicated to helping young ponies with the loss of confidence and bullying that comes with being a "blank flank" is a good one with potential, seeing it start out from the humble origins of three young fillies bonding over a shared problem and then growing into a fully-fledged organization would be satisfying so it excites me that the show seems to be heading in that direction.

Nice point of view. So far I never saw the CMC as some kind of support group and rather as just some friends, who do some crazy (and often enough annoying) stuff to find their special talents. But if you think back to their very first meeting in CoC, you are right! AB was in a really bad situation, when the other two appeared and stood up for her. I like this perspective; especially since the CMC are becoming less and less hard to watch (not to say I liked all recent CMC-relted episodes ;) )

About raising the barn... I actually got the idea behind it. But for me the presentation just didn't work, so I went a bit ignorant in my review to emphasize this point...

• Brohoof 1

I for one really enjoyed this episode a bunch. It had a whole lot of new and recent characters, that really got me excited. But more importantly in my opinion, the song was in fact amazing! It was very catchy, and it just made you want to dance. I keep on listening to it just to memorize all of the lyrics. All in all this episode was hands down (:

• Brohoof 3

Just going to add a few pics from the Raise this Barn scene that I found quite humorous.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Hello there Cloudchaser, Bon Bon, and Carrot Top(I think that is her name). Didn't know you were part of the apple family.

Hehe Bon Bon is there but Lyra is not, that's strange. Anyway I think she was just passing by or decided to come uninvited. As for the other ones... well some believe that carrots are apples.. :)

I remember Granny Smith saying that the Apple Family Reunion happens every 100 moons,and I have 2 questions to ask here.

What is our time equilent of 100 pony moons?

Wasen't there an Apple Family Reunion going on in Season One,episode one?

• Brohoof 1

I definitley liked the episode, however when I first saw the title I thought, "Huh? did I accidentaly record a repeat?"

I always save the new recordings in my DVR for a bit and rewatch them a couple of times before deleating.

i really like this episode it shows more about applejack and also a hint about how babe seed made 2 friends who are blanks friend...which in my opinion shows that there will be more cutiemark cursaders in the fute maybe later in season 3 or maybe the future season 4