Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question about Magic...

Samurshy

Alright, many of you may remember me. It has been a while since I have been active on here, but I used to be super active at one point. I have tried avoiding this site like the plague, but somehow I always end up here again. But I digress, I have a question that has to do with magic. Ever since the episode, "Magic Duel", I have had this question and the answer might just solve all Alicorn OC's problems. So in the episode, "Magic Duel", Zecora trains Twilight Sparkle in the ways of magic. Not only does Zecora have an insane amount of knowledge about magic, she also exhibits signs of being able to utilize magic personally (i.e. filling teacup by touching the rim).

So my question is this, does one have to be a Unicorn to use magic? Is Zecora just using slight of hand? Or is it also a Zebra thing to be able to use magic?

The reason this might settle the Alicorn OC argument is because if anypony can use magic, then one wouldn't have to be a Alicorn. One could just be a Pegasus with magic abilities. 

Edited by Bronynonymous

Magic is anything science can't explain. That being said, Zecora could be using slight of hand.

mlfw1743-1319430665.jpg

However, Zecora is also not a pony. She is a zebra. Since we know nothing about zebras, zebras might be able to use a different type of magic, a less flashy type of course, or maybe she made an elixir that gave her powers momentarily? She may also know a lot about magic due to not being from Equestria.

I actually think pegasi that could do magic is more OP then an allicorn OC. It would also be harder to monitor what ponies one put's in their RP.

• Brohoof 1

True, but I am also wondering if it is possible for a pegasus or earth pony to have a cutie mark that has to do with magic.It is a weird thought, but there are only so many talents in the universe, does one have to be born to a certain race to be able to utilize those talents?

Not to mention, we know next to nothing about zebras in the show's universe. Maybe they all can learn to harness magic and in Equestria-or, wherever Zebras live-they often practice it. 

Besides, Zecora's magic is more based off of potions and charms rather than a unicorn who's magic just...happens. It seems to be very knowledge based, as well as more "realistic" (or, at least when considering what people thought was commonly witchcraft back a couple centuries ago). Maybe pegasi and earth ponies can also learn to use potions and hexes as well as substitute for unicorn magic, but not as a real replacement. Making potions=/=what we've seen a unicorn do in the show. 

Looking back at it, Zecora being Twilight's mentor in that episode had nothing to do with Zecora's personal magic abilities or teaching Twilight magic. It was more based on Zecora trying to calm Twilight and help her come to a peaceful resolution to her problem, which turned out to be getting Twilight's friends to help. 

Besides, she's essentially a wise mystical enchantress stereotype anyway. I have no clue how they could have not written her character to use magic. 

Edited by Rarietty

Zecora's "magic" looks more like illusions to me. The whole time she was training with Twilight she was trying to make her realize how she needed to get her friends' help in tricking Trixie, not actually outperforming her. A readjustment of her thinking, as Zecora put it. Her magical talent is closer to that of David Copperfield than a unicorn.

I've also speculated that the nature of magic in the world of Equestria functions similarly to the Weave. That magic doesn't really come "from within" a unicorn/alicorn, but rather it permeates everything and only they have the anatomy to manipulate it. I guess it's almost like the Force in that respect as well. However, this is all in my headcanon. Should they ever make it canon that would only put a few issues to rest and open up some new ones for us to consider, but it would help to keep things interesting.

• Brohoof 1

True, but I am also wondering if it is possible for a pegasus or earth pony to have a cutie mark that has to do with magic.It is a weird thought, but there are only so many talents in the universe, does one have to be born to a certain race to be able to utilize those talents?

Well, my theory is that there are different forms of magic. A pony should not be able to be carried by wings, but it can be. And earth ponies should not be able to change the laws of physics, but one of them can. So having 2 types of magic, and not being an alicorn seems a bit silly to me.

How would they even use magic anyway? An alicorn can do flashy magic, so I don't see how a pegasus or earth pony using what looks like the slight of hand be what people prefer.

Hello all! I know this is not canon lore but I am the lead developer of the MLP Role playing game "Age of Equestria" and our description for how magic works is the following, tell me what you think.

The universe began with a non-sentiant being named "The all" who acted as an arcane web of magic that slowly spread across the universe, from The all came forth both unity and Discord. Arcane magic is magic that draws upon the power of "The all" to alter to nature of the universe or the things within it, Unity magic manifests within the hearts and souls of intelligent creatures and can be used to influence change. Unicorn horns provide them with a direct link to the pools of energy and grant them the strongest connection to the magical forces. There are two other forms of magic in the world as well, Traditional magic and individual magic. Traditional magic takes the form of cultural powers such as Zecora's magic, that are drawn from the spirit of the planet and a weaker connection to the all.