Sonic Vs. the Brony community?

ReGen

Being a veteran of the Sonic Fandom, I'd like to say it has it alot worse off then bronies, Where as I really have to dig a little to find the crappy pony content, I can't walk two feet in any given direction into the Sonic stuff without finding MSpaint doodles and badfic.

Every fandom has it, some just worse the others (I have found the unholy conjoined abomination that is the Highlander/Twilight fangirl, it's bad.)

• Brohoof 1

I'm both as well, i'm not that big of a Sonic fan i used to be, but i still enjoy the blue hedgehog games a lot.

But i remember when i drew a LOT of Sonic art during high school.

During that time, dA flooded with fan-characters. And the fan-art that were just mind blowing (Just like MLP is now). But i kept noticing several artists,that i liked there, suddenly writing journals on how bad the sonic community is and how retarded people act. And i couldn't help but agree to some points.

Though, the same goes for the brony community. People in this community are incredible, but a minority of people just takes it down by annoying others on Youtube, DeviantART etc.

Oh well, I like them both, like i said!

Also, Sonic and Rainbow Dash are pretty awesome together.

attachicon.gifsonicRD.png

Source: http://archiecomicssonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/File:5624_-_crossover_rainbow_dash_Sonic_the_Hedgehog.JPG

Yeah I actually like the amount of times these two show up together. Whether they're shipped, racing, or just chilling; there seems to be something about the two characters that artists think they would gel together. I agree.

If people like it okay.. But I loved the Sega Genesis games, then after that I was just sort of baffled why anyone still cared for Sonic. I understand MLPs fandom. There's been a constistant quality to it, and the creators of the show actually care about us. Sonic fandom.. Well... It always seemed to me like an abusive relationship. Sega's constant mistreatment of the brand, yet fans still cling to it's characters and have this whole fandom. I don't get it. Furries I know (I'm not naive ponies have the same appeal) but I'm blown away on just how resilient the group is.

I'm an Ex-furry, I loved Tails and I had my own OC and everything.

Take this into perspective. I was a furry for about four years. I've been a brony for less than one, And i prefer the Brony community. 

Both are really kind, But i feel that the furry community is more sexual and hateful, Where as the Brony community has a more warm feeling towards it. Anyone can speak to everyone, Where as in the Furry community i felt i could had to work to be able to befriend people. Of course, My answer is based on my life and if you disagree, I'm not trying to be a 'troll' to the furry's or anything. =D

I really liked Sonic since Sonic Rush. I know both communities have their positives and flaws, but what I have to say is I prefer the Brony community as long as nopony forces too much content on a different fandom and overflow it with Ponies.

The only sonic games I really liked we're the original and sonic colors (mostly cause of the music and the final boss). But I do find it kind of annoying when there's a mix between sonic and ponies...

• 4 weeks later...

As a member of both the Sonic Community and the Brony Community, I say the Sonic Community is much, MUCH worse than the Brony Community . While both have evil fanatics that trie to kill you if you don't like there series, Sonic fans ALSO complain about there own series!!! What's up with that??? Also, the Sonic fandom seems to have more yaoi and harem and stuff, which I think is disgusting. I rarely run into that with MLP, but that might just be luck, I don't know.

But honestly, the 2 series have so much in common that it's ridiculous the 2 fandoms fight. Am I right?  

Rainbow Dash is 20% jealous of this music!

The only reason I'd ever associate myself with a fandom is simply because of the video game/tv show it is centered around. I'm not hanging around the fandom so I can immerse myself in stupid fanon, involve myself with pointless drama, or crusade the video game/show by forcing it down people's throats. I'm hanging around the fandom because I like the game/tv show, and want to socialize with other people who feel the same.

If it weren't for MLP, or the friends that I've made here, I'd leave the fandom in a heartbeat, and not even look back.

Oh, and I never really enjoyed Sonic. I've never been a huge fan of platformer games.

Edited by UrdiePie

Sonic's had tons of great games, most of his games have fantastic music (even the ones that suck have really good music), and there are some good sides of the fanbase. Having been apart of the Sonic fandom since 2004, I can definitely say it's nowhere near the type of fanbase we are. The general amount of morons is a few times heightened, yes, but in general people just aren't as intelligent, even if they don't happen to be assholes.

Case in point, I've been on three Sonic forums prior to joining here, two of them died due to low activity or a psycho admin doing crazy stuff that caused everything to implode, and the third one I left because the staff were corrupt blowhards who had such an egotism complex that it was sickening.

The official SEGA forum is literally nothing but die-hard fanboys who chew people out on a regular basis.

Still, I managed to stick to better sides of the community, running two of those forums I mentioned along the way. It's not all bad, like what a lot of people will belittle it to be. The brony community is obviously better in many respects, in fact, all around. Most of the big issues with this fanbase are problems all fanbases have, just bloated to a larger size due to how overly gargantuan we are. Still, I stick by the Sonic community as well, at least partially.

• Brohoof 2

What is it about Sonic that so many people find appealing? It's just a silly restaurant for ponies' sake!

equestrian nomenclature active

135460381921.gif

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 2

All fandoms have numerous examples of what you have just mentioned every one of them. To call out a community for being the worst is an assertion with no data that could possibly support you because every single bad thing you can say about any fanbase applies to any other fanbase. Your position is very similar to many anti bronies I have seen " The Brony fandom is terrible because (insert bad thing here)". It an argument that doesnt work. All fandoms have a outspoken vociferous minority, the larger the fandom the larger that minority.

I have taken part in many fandoms including the Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars, Star Gate, Adventure Time, DC/Marvel, Darkwing Duck ect. My best experience by far has been the Brony fanbase as Im sure many will agree. This forum being a pretty decent example, I have had and have seen numerous disagreements and all resulted in a discussion rather than horrible threats and derogatory insults. In fact the Brony fan base is the only one in which I havent yet been given a threat. If you go to places like 4chan, youtube, and reddit you are going to see some of the more vociferous people(at least in my experience). 

I agree compleatly, if you look deep enough into any community, especially one of this size and scope, you are bound to find some unsettleing things.

• Brohoof 1

It's funny you mention this because for the last few days I've been worrying that the brony community is turning into the Sonic fanbase. It might not be as bad as "green eyes" or "The pillars in the Sonic Generations version of Sky Sanctuary are too white, they need to be more yellow" [Yes someone on the Sonic Retro forums complained about that] But we are really starting to get stupid and annoying. Like I said the Sonic fanbase is worse but I'm really afraid of where the brony community is going. Before you know it people will start to complain that the new seasons suck and only season 1 is good. Then bronies can finally be on par with Pokemon fans. How fun.

Edited by N-Harmonia
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I too am a very big loyal sonic fan as well as a brony, and I feel like I can spread my love equally for both franchises, as I love them both for similar and different reasons at the same time. I was unaware there was some sort of hatred or rivalry betwwen the two fanbases. In fact I always thought it was the opposite case, as I often see many stories, music, artwork, animation and OC's having resemblance and intentional references to the sonic franchise, with many of the original artists and writers openly expressing some keen interest in both franchises. While it is very easy to label out community and the sonic community as "bad fanbases" (in fact I don't really blame people for saying that at times, as there are some truly awful people in both fandoms), it's really very easy to say that about any fanbase. All fanbases are going to have immature, rude idiotic people whom can't comprehend the fact that people have a different opinion, it just appears to be unlucky that some of those fans in these two communities happen to fairly loud, and express their view in the wrong places at the wrong times that give the impression that the entire fanbase is full of these loud-mouthed idiots, when in actual fact that is not the case (both fandoms really only have the same amount of loud-mouthed idiots as any other fandom does) (it all depends on how and where you look).

But in any case, I couldn't care less for how some truly awful people act in some fandoms, because I know that for a fact, I love both MLP and Sonic, and will always do so (and I also know that there are plenty of others whom think the same) :)

"way past (20%) cool(er)" :D

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Wow! A topic filled with fans of both properties! HEY EVERYONE! I'm a long time Sonic fan AND a brony! How y'all doin'? :D

...Wait, there are Sonic fans who are ANTI-brony? Do I even want to know where you find them? Because I haven't seen any, and I go to a Sonic message board. I think most Sonic fans probably just don't care or don't have any feelings. Trust me, Sonic fans have combined Sonic with LOTS of other unrelated things they like.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just going to stay out of this and say I've always liked Sonic The Hedgehog but the fans of him nowadays are something else.

You can honesty run into stuff like this completely by accident on the internet and on deviant art of course. Like I've seen pictures where people ship him with Rainbow Dash.

I used to be a fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog comics, and SatAM, which is probably the worst as far as being a Sonic fan goes. With the comics, you have comic fans, who want the series to continue to be its own continuity, and I was in that camp, you have SatAM fans who wish the series would go back to its roots, and you have fans of the games, who nitpick about every last detail that isn't like the games. You have Amy vs Sally, and there are a lot of shippers in that fanbase. The Sonic fanbase, or at least the sub-sect I was a part of, is one of the least unified, and full of trolls, and people flaming one another. I'd say it gives the videogame fanbase a run for its money in that regard, and that's saying a lot. Sadly, I'm still part of the videogame fanbase, so I haven't escaped troll dens entirely.

This fanbase seems to share some similarities, but it's different in one key area, and that's unity. There seems to be a greater sense of community, and respect for one another here. There are disagreements from time to time, but for the most part, differences of opinion are respected. Of course, this fanbase is far less fragmented, with maybe a bit of a G1 vs G4 and/or other gens split, but it's not as pronounced, and I don't see people putting each other down for liking a different gen. There are also some differences of opinion regarding the comics and whether they should be considered canon, but I have yet to see things get out of hand there either. I could do without the shipping side of things, especially since this is a series that doesn't have a lot of romance in it, but I avoid stuff like that no matter what fanbase I'm a part of. I do like Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder though.

Well if anything, I think allot of the hate for Bronies comes from the New Gen Sonic Fans. It's bad enough allot of new gens have ruined the sonic community. Honestly I have been a fan of sonic since the first Sega Genesis game made. honestly I could go into a whole rant about new gen sonic fans but I would not want to insult any new gens on here that are also bronies, let alone this isn't the place to rant about it. Anyway, back on topic. The hate between Sonic and MLP is like the hate between Furries and MLP. It's a pointless battle. Yes the series maybe all different but they all have similar qualities. But because of prejudices, we all bash eachother and it's honestly getting annoying.

I will agree the Sonic Community has been getting horrible over the past few year since the early 2000s. Allot of new gens have been bastardizing it. In truth, I could rant about it but again this isn't the place.

Not really sure why these worlds have to collide in such a manner where 'who is better liked' or whatever. Yeah I'm a die-hard Sonic fan, always have been, always will be. Same goes for MLP now. The Sonic fandom has shrunk considerably. But I see some uptick in the fandom with the release of Sonic Boom and other content as well plotted out by SEGA and Nintendo. 

Sonic/MLP forever, yo!  :wub:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...