Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Dota2 Vs LoL

That Guy

35 users have voted

1. 1. witch one do you prefer?

• Dota 2
    • League of Legends

so i've been playing Dota2 a lot now because some friends of me play it and i was tired of LoL and HoN was just bad, according to me.
But when i try to tell the differences between Dota2 and LoL my hardcore LoL friends doesnt seem to listen and still thinks Dota2 is a ripoff from LoL.
so i ask ye, witch one do you prefer and why?

I'd say Dota2 is more of a HoN ripoff then LoL.

The graphics are pretty much the same, the shop is also the same, and the general boredom is the same.

The main reasons i prefer LoL is because of the simple yet beautiful graphics, you can tell the difference between minions and champions, less confusing and there are always 5 abilities that you can activate instead of some boring passive.

• Brohoof 2

This is a big question, I'll do my best to explain.

1)What is the difference?

For starters, they are made by different companies, that means that they have less than zero connection in terms of "ripoff". Second, there are some mechanical differences out the bag, DotA 2 isn't free (unless they changed it), LoL is free, and in DotA 2 you have all the characters unlocked from the start, with LoL you have to unlock them by either playing games or buying them with real-life money. One more thing in regards to mechanics, the map and the overall layout of the game is different in LoL than it is in DotA 2, the map in LoL is smaller, it has different neutral monsters, and in general it's built for the functionality of the game, likewise with DotA 2, buitl for it's own game. Now those are all just facts, when it comes down to it, DotA 2 is more complicated and difficult, it focuses a LOT more on individual skill than team-work, and it's just one of those games that you have to know everything and be the best at it if you even THINK about playing. LoL is much simpler, you can get all the basics down in about 5 games, and possibly even find something that fits your play-style by then, it's VERY team-work oriented, and if you want to, you can know everything you want from community feedback I.E. friends, guides online, LoL forums, streamers, Riot employees, anything.

2) Which do I prefer?

To make things short, LoL. In broader definition:

It's smaller, that means it's easier to plan your strategies and find the sweet spots on the map to start a team-fight. It has a bigger variety in it's champions mechanically, every champ is built to do something different, and all the champions aside from 2 I can think of are viable in their on ways. It's more fun, and unlike DotA 2, it's about strategizing more than just "Stun, boom, boom, boom, auto-attack, auto-attack, free gold", it doesn't have those crazy 5 second stuns, the biggest CC (Crowd Control effect) in the game is only 2 seconds (unless you count suppressors, but those also immobilize the inflicting champion), which in general makes it much more reliant on skill then the champion you are playing.

tl;dr - LoL because it's more about having a plan and less about trying to run around hoping to find some gold.

I'd say Dota2 is more of a HoN ripoff then LoL.

The first Dota has been out since 2005, and HoN was released in 2010. Dota is almost the same as the original Dota save the updated graphics, updated engine, new heroes, and a little bit of tweaked mechanics.

I prefer Dota pretty much for the reason that I dislike the fact the LoL straight up copied it, it's made by Valve, one of my favorite companies, and there's not as many jackasses that play it. (Don't deny the fact that there are some mean people in LoL online matches)

• Brohoof 3

The first Dota has been out since 2005, and HoN was released in 2010. Dota is almost the same as the original Dota save the updated graphics, updated engine, new heroes, and a little bit of tweaked mechanics.

I prefer Dota pretty much for the reason that I dislike the fact the LoL straight up copied it, it's made by Valve, one of my favorite companies, and there's not as many jackasses that play it. (Don't deny the fact that there are some mean people in LoL online matches)

YOU SIR! finally someone that have the same opinions as me!

and someone that knows that the first Dota came out first!

if i could i would give ye a price

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Dota pretty much for the reason that I dislike the fact the LoL straight up copied it

No, no, no, no, no, no, and a thousand times no.

For the love of god that's like saying every single FPS is a copy of DOOM! which evidently, it is not. That's just not a valid argument Modphase, I'm sorry, but it's not right. :[

Could you please read what I posted earlier? I really want you to at least know the differences between the games :\

• Brohoof 2

No, no, no, no, no, no, and a thousand times no.

For the love of god that's like saying every single FPS is a copy of DOOM! which evidently, it is not. That's just not a valid argument Modphase, I'm sorry, but it's not right. :[

Could you please read what I posted earlier? I really want you to at least know the differences between the games :\

*Ahem.

Same map layout. (small or large, the 5v5 map is just a larger version of Dota 2's map) same gameplay mechanics (4 regular abilities and an ultimate) same strategy involved, pretty much identical spawn, with the role of the merchant practically identical, same role of minions, and many of the characters are the same.

And please don't contradict my argument in such a way. It's not even a proper rebuttal. My argument isn't right, like you said, but it's also not wrong, because my argument was an opinion which is neither right nor wrong.

• Brohoof 1

*Ahem.

Same map layout. (small or large, the 5v5 map is just a larger version of Dota 2's map) same gameplay mechanics (4 regular abilities and an ultimate) same strategy involved, pretty much identical spawn, with the role of the merchant practically identical, same role of minions, and many of the characters are the same.

Yes, not the same mechanics (LoL has a passive, a recall spell and 2 summoner spells and generally works differently), yes, no it's much more expanded in DotA with not being able to go back via spell thus making the secret shop mechanic much more useful, not really.

And please don't contradict my argument in such a way. It's not even a proper rebuttal. My argument isn't right, like you said, but it's also not wrong, because my argument was an opinion which is neither right nor wrong.

You said "The fact that", thus making it a fact, that bothered me.

Edited by Brook

Yes, not the same mechanics (LoL has a passive, a recall spell and 2 summoner spells and generally works differently), yes, no it's much more expanded in

DotA with not being able to go back via spell thus making the secret shop mechanic much more useful, not really.

You said "The fact that", thus making it a fact, that bothered me.

Okay you win. But whatever, I still like Dota 2 more, for my reasons, you still like LoL, for your reasons, which is perfectly fine with me. Let's just enjoy our games without backlash.

Okay you win. But whatever, I still like Dota 2 more, for my reasons, you still like LoL, for your reasons, which is perfectly fine with me. Let's just enjoy our games without backlash.

Agreed, I never said neither games were bad, I just wanted to make it clear that they ARE different games, which is why this whole argument is even happening, because it matters which game we play, because they are not identical.

Edited by Brook
  • Brohoof 1

I know what came out first, i'm not stupid.

But since Dota2 is not made by the original developers i don't see it to be fair to say that they are connected in such a way.

Without LoL, i don't even think Dota2 would have been made in the first place.

Edited by Vicke
  • Brohoof 5

Honestly, i wouldn't compare any of those games to each other. They're all very different. While HoN and DotA 2 are built around the same concept, they still have their own things that vastly change how they're played. I've played all 3 a good amount and i feel none is superior nor inferior to another, it all comes down to which gameplay you prefer.

Personal preference.. League of Legends. To be honest, the only reason i prefer it might be because i played DotA (the original, not DotA 2) and HoN first and got tired of those eventually. Still, i don't really like the look and feel of DotA 2 for some reason, which is odd, considering HoN felt natural right away. Maybe i simply really liked the genre back then. League of Legends felt odd on the first try, but i got used to it soon enough.

Another possible reasons for me not being a fan of DotA 2 could be numerous,

one of them being bad first experience. You should never start play these games without a friend and i did that with League of Legends and DotA 2. HoN i started playing with a group of people i knew at the time, so that might explain why it started with good memories and eventually interest died as i stopped playing with those people.

Another reason being the fact that its the same game as DotA and very similar to HoN. I don't care what the game looks like, i want something new gameplay wise.

At its base, i don't think any of these games are actually bad. Just not something i want to play with complete strangers, because many of them have a terrible attitude.

Edited by Jormaz

Dota 2 is basically and updated version of the original mod from Warcraft 3, I find its a much more challenging game when you're playing due to creep denial and the champion skills are a little more complex. However I find it has a good amount of freedom when it comes to team compositions 

League on the other hand has as slightly stricter meta game and is one of those easy to learn, hard to master games.

I really like both games but League sticks out for me because I'm a sucker for the art style and I find the champions to have more character to them. 

Also the term "ripoff" does not apply here in the slightest, that's like saying all shooters ripped of Doom because it has guns.

• Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...

'Ello! So I used to play LoL for around 2 years before I switched over to Dota 2. 

The reasons why I prefer Dota 2 over LoL is because it's more complex (If I'm going to explain it in a simple manner). But to go into more detail, let's make a small list :P

Dota 2 Pros.

1. Losing money from dying. When you kill someone in LoL you gain gold. But in Dota 2, you gain gold, and the guy you killed loses gold. It can be really annoying when you're a squishy support though :P
  2. Last hitting is harder. It's not a lot harder but the main difference is that you can deny your own creeps/minions. So when they have low hp you just kill them yourself and deny that last hit for the other player.
  3. The lanes are a bit different in Dota 2. In Dota 2 you have a safe lane (The lane that is connected to your own jungle.) Mid lane (Same as in LoL, nothing special) And a hard lane (The lane that is connected to your enemies jungle.) In LoL the lanes are much more identical, there's not that much difference between top and bot lane.
  4. More activateable items. This one is simple, but in Dota 2 there's many more items that does things that you have to activate them for.
  5. The runes on the battlefield. I don't know, I just like to have powerups during the battle. It's a fun idea.

LoL Pros.

1. The graphics are a lot better imo. I just prefer the more cartoonish graphics of LoL. Just my opinion though.
  2. Surrender option. It is overused but it can be really good at times -.-...

So for me Dota 2 is just more fun then LoL. LoL is a great game but after 2 years I got a bit bored of it. Anyway, this is just my opinion. I wouldn't say that any game is better then the other. There's a lot of differences between the games but they're still in the same genre.

Anyway, cya! :)

• Brohoof 1

In all honesty, I prefer DOTA 2 over LoL.  The gameplay is a lot more complicated and difficult in LoL, at least it is to me.  It feels like DOTA 2 has a bigger community.  I help on a certain DOTA 2 forum and the amount of users we get are outrageous.  

I suppose some users may like LoL better.  To each their own and whatnot.

To be really honest, I don't care that much for either.  I don't like real time strategy games.  I like rpg's and first person shooters.

Well, one thing the LoL has that dota has not it the ability to lock your screen on your champion.

Also some things in dota are pretty unbalanced. 

I mean If you have refresher orb on zues and ult twice you can kill all squishies like it's nothing. Especially when you're already winning.

Also if you ask me it's easier to make a comeback in LoL.

Not to mention the low mana regen in dota early game, which makes it pretty hard for any type of caster.

In dota most characters have more passive effects than active ones which makes it into a game of autoattacks.

In LoL you can build champions in ways that are not intended (AP Tristana, support Zyra).

Well, one thing the LoL has that dota has not it the ability to lock your screen on your champion.

Also some things in dota are pretty unbalanced. 

I mean If you have refresher orb on zues and ult twice you can kill all squishies like it's nothing. Especially when you're already winning.

Also if you ask me it's easier to make a comeback in LoL.

Not to mention the low mana regen in dota early game, which makes it pretty hard for any type of caster.

In dota most characters have more passive effects than active ones which makes it into a game of autoattacks.

In LoL you can build champions in ways that are not intended (AP Tristana, support Zyra).

I presonally gotta disagree with you statement about unbalanced champions and early game mana reg. If we're going to take zeus for example, for him to get aghanims and refresher takes a lot of cash (9500 to be exact). That means that either he will get it pretty early and not have very much hp, or just be really fed. There's always a way to counter that as well, like hood of defiance or orchids.

For the early mana reg, we have ring of basilius, bottle and clarity potions to keep that up.

I can understand what you mean with unintended champion builds, for some reason whenever I played ADC I always picked Soraka... And when you say that they mostly got passive effects, I gotta disagree there too. Most heros got 1 passive. Then we have tons of activateable items to cover up those holes.

Since you can't boost up your spells in Dota 2, except for your ultimate in some cases. I think it's a lot more fun to play support there. Because you can still do "tons of damage" -Phreak, because then every spell starts of a lot stronger then they do in LoL and lets the supports focus on, well... Supoort stuff :P

(edited)

I've been playing DotA for years. That's one of the best games around. When I first tried LoL and HoN, they felt weird and... weren't as good as DotA. Recently DotA 2 is released on Linux, and I finally got a chance to play it. It's better, of course, even though there's something weird about the graphic, and I can't tell what exactly it is. It just feels weird, but I love the new game play. Not so different with the original DotA.

Edited by Aerial Stream

(edited)

I haven't played DotA2 much, but I didn't like it.

I haven't played League much (but a lot more than DotA2) and enjoyed it a bit more.

I found DotA2 a bit complicated. I dislike the graphics, and I dislike the confusing UI.

I also like the champions of Legaue more than DotA characters. Why? I don't know, first time I saw the characters in DotA2, they weren't anything special. Dragon Knight? Storm Spirit? I'd rather have characters with personality. With names.

I dunno, don't take my opinion too seriously or personally. I don't play these that often.

Edit: I will not accept DotA2 until I figure out what the heck these couriers are for!

Edited by Suskel
  • Brohoof 1

I presonally gotta disagree with you statement about unbalanced champions and early game mana reg. If we're going to take zeus for example, for him to get aghanims and refresher takes a lot of cash (9500 to be exact). That means that either he will get it pretty early and not have very much hp, or just be really fed. There's always a way to counter that as well, like hood of defiance or orchids.

For the early mana reg, we have ring of basilius, bottle and clarity potions to keep that up.

I can understand what you mean with unintended champion builds, for some reason whenever I played ADC I always picked Soraka... And when you say that they mostly got passive effects, I gotta disagree there too. Most heros got 1 passive. Then we have tons of activateable items to cover up those holes.

Since you can't boost up your spells in Dota 2, except for your ultimate in some cases. I think it's a lot more fun to play support there. Because you can still do "tons of damage" -Phreak, because then every spell starts of a lot stronger then they do in LoL and lets the supports focus on, well... Supoort stuff :P

Hey there! 

Your topic resembled an earlier one, so I've taken the liberty of merging them. In the future, please use the search feature before creating a new topic. Thanks! 

Hey there! 

Your topic resembled an earlier one, so I've taken the liberty of merging them. In the future, please use the search feature before creating a new topic. Thanks! 

I just gotta say, I did use it.... Apperantly I'm horrible at it :) Well, thanks anyway! It's good that you keep the forum clean! Welp, I'm off to try to figure out the search system then.

For the record. For anyone who doesn't know.

Time for a little Video game history:

DOTA was the game that created the MOBA/A-RTS genre. League of Legends and Hereos of Newearth were inspired by DOTA ( I won't say they are ripoffs because they have both been successful and added changes to the genre to seperate themselves).

DOTA was a Warcraft 3 mod that became very popular and ended up becoming a full fledged game just like Counter Strike did from Half Life.

DOTA 2 is the sequel of the popular original (which is still updated and competitively played.) which was picked up by Valve after offering its creator a job with them.

History lesson over.

Now for me I personally prefer DOTA 2, but I do casually play League of Legends. I'm not the biggest fan of LoL's art style which seems cartoonish and a lot of 'Champions' seem like they could fit into the looney toons universe. Other than that it's a fun game to play when I have nothing else to do. But DOTA is my game of choice without a doubt I personally think it is all around a better game.

With names.
post-10241-0-50741200-1362570375.jpg

They have names. Dragon Knight's name is Davion, and Storm Spirit's name is Raijin Thunderkerg. Why don't you just read their bio so you can understand their stories and personalities?

Edit: I will not accept DotA2 until I figure out what the heck these couriers are for!

Couriers are used to bait enemy heroes so you can escape from their chase easily. Another good usage of couriers is to hide in it and fly away while you're using Naix (Lifestealer).

Just kidding. They're used to bring items to heroes. Try to figure out what does 'courier' mean.