Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ActFast231

I was re-watching Luna Eclipse, and I noticed that Twilight said that he created over 200 spells. Yet it seems as though he was always a unicorn. Yet Twilight finishes one spell that he couldn't, and she acends to alicornhood. Is it just me, or does that not quiet add up? Let me know if I am missing something vital here.

• Brohoof 2

The explanation is that while he was extremely gifted in magic, he didn't understand friendship, which is the end all be all in this universe.

So...no wings for Starswirl.

THAT'S what I was forgetting. I knew it was something. He wouldn't just not get wings for no good reason. That makes a lot of sense.

• Brohoof 1

Here's how I understand it per the Season 3 finale:

Princess Celestia: You did something today that's never been done before, something even a great unicorn like Star Swirl the Bearded was not able to do, because he did not understand friendship like you do. The lessons you've learned here in Ponyville have taught you well. You have proven that you're ready, Twilight.

It seems that Twilight being "well rounded", if you will, allowed her to ascend to alicorn status. Starswirl may have had the potential to become an alicorn as well, but apparently didn't have the friendship-thing down.

• Brohoof 1

The explanation is that while he was extremely gifted in magic, he didn't understand friendship, which is the end all be all in this universe.

So...no wings for Starswirl.

Not even that, I think. I'm pretty sure that spell creation + friendship =/= auto-alicorn ascension. Twilight was being groomed for ascension, and her mastery of friendship and magic were just gauges that she was ready.

Mlp is full of plot holes, Like granny smiths age. Granny smith mentions being present at the founding of Ponyville and in winter wrap up Twilight mentions that the founding of Ponyville was hundreds of years ago meaning granny smiths is way over 100 years old.

• Brohoof 1

Mlp is full of plot holes, Like granny smiths age. Granny smith mentions being present at the founding of Ponyville and in winter wrap up Twilight mentions that the founding of Ponyville was hundreds of years ago meaning granny smiths is way over 100 years old.

Well, she looks pretty good for her age. Maybe Granny Smith has magical powers which grant her an extended life. This actually wouldn't surprise me. 

• Brohoof 1

You know, now that I think of it, it'd make sense that the Alicorn spell only works when friendship is added to the equation.

You want to be sure the one getting phenomenal cosmic power is a good person.

I dunno, it just don't like the fact that they have to understand friendship to become alicorns. Friendship isn't the most important thing in the world.

As said above, you wouldn't just want anypony to be granted cosmic power. You need to be a good person as well. Think what would happen if a very powerful magical pony just became an alicorn because he was good at magic. And he wasn't a good pony.

• Brohoof 1

As said above, you wouldn't just want anypony to be granted cosmic power. You need to be a good person as well. Think what would happen if a very powerful magical pony just became an alicorn because he was good at magic. And he wasn't a good pony.

Well, it could be a nice pony, but not one who knows everything about friendship... I just wish that Starswirl became an alicorn.

Well, it could be a nice pony, but not one who knows everything about friendship... I just wish that Starswirl became an alicorn.

Maybe Starswirl became something else (other than exploded to bits). If he did, I hope we get to find out, lol.

If friendship really is magic, being a princess shouldn't just be for unicorns. Isn't Pinkie Pie friends with everyone in Ponyville?

• Brohoof 2

Apparently there is a fanfiction that when Starswirl casted the spell he became a Draconequess instead, thus giving birth to Discord.

Unlikely but still possible.  That being said M.A. Larson, who wrote both episodes, specifically said she created new Magic not a new Spell and that was the main difference.  However, both him and Meghan McCarthy said they have no idea what Starswirl's spell was originally intending to do.

Nah, it makes sense. Friendship is the highest form of magic in the series. Since starswirl didn't understand friendship, he was not able to summon the highest level of magic and was not fit to be a Prince.

Twilight is fit for being a princess because she understands the highest level of magic currently known.

Apparently there is a fanfiction that when Starswirl casted the spell he became a Draconequess instead, thus giving birth to Discord.

Unlikely but still possible.  That being said M.A. Larson, who wrote both episodes, specifically said she created new Magic not a new Spell and that was the main difference.  However, both him and Meghan McCarthy said they have no idea what Starswirl's spell was originally intending to do.

lol I should look for that, then.

I wonder what the new Magic is? Maybe it has to do with that extra star on her bum.

Nah, it makes sense. Friendship is the highest form of magic in the series. Since starswirl didn't understand friendship, he was not able to summon the highest level of magic and was not fit to be a Prince.

Twilight is fit for being a princess because she understands the highest level of magic currently known.

I'd like to think Friendship is the highest form, but I can't forget the magic Shining Armour/Cadance performed to blast away changelings. Now, all Twilight needs is to study that love magic. lol.