Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tolerance vs Acceptance?

Midnight Page

A brony far wiser than I said something very interesting. In a rant in this video,

He commented about our great cause to love and tolerate everypony. In his mind, we should be striving to love and accept everyone, as that is what MLP teaches us.To tolerate them implies that we simply deal with them in a somewhat passive aggressive manner. I personally agree with him, what do all of you think?

Why not do both? It's apparent that our fandom gets a lot of hate from people ignorant to the nuances of it all and, well, what can you call our reaction to them? Accepting? Likely not, which is why tolerance makes totally valid sense in such a context.

• Brohoof 5

Why not do both? It's apparent that our fandom gets a lot of hate from people ignorant to the nuances of it all and, well, what can you call our reaction to them? Accepting? Likely not, which is why tolerance makes totally valid sense in such a context.

I quite agree with this statement. Some things ponies do we cannot accept, but we can still tolerate, and love should always be shown, given, etc in a non obnoxious manner so we both help the community's appearance, and as we help others.

I agree. Acceptance feels far more appropriate than tolerance in my book.

Tolerance feels more aggressive and more like a mask to hide your true feelings.

For example, a racist person may hate black people (just an example) but still tolerate their presence because they don't want to look bad in a community. But it doesn't change a thing in the fact that the person still dislikes them.

That is why I think that acceptance is closer to how a brony should act. We just accept and love everypony, no matter their differences. That is what makes a true brony, I think. Not only tolerating other people.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree. There are certain types of people whose viewpoints I refuse to accept. Neo-nazis, for example. People say "You have to respect people's beliefs."

No you don't.

You have to acknowledge a person's belief, and their right to believe it. Then you can reserve the right to feel that their belief is fucking stupid.

• Brohoof 3

Love and Tolerate everyone? Everything? That is completely stupid and not what the show 'teaches' us. It tells us to love and tolerate our friends because it will pay off, in both fun and whatever help they can provide us, but just everypony. And even then, love and tolerate... we saw how well that payed off in Season Two EP1 and 2. ( Twilight's Nervous Breakdown, and calling her friend jerks ).

Then acceptance... I will never accept everyone, too many idiots and ignorants exist, accepting everypony is just ludicrous. I can explicit why if someone is interested, but I have to go to bed now.

Tolerate all the bronies. I don't really see the need to set a definitive boundry between the two. Anyones actions speak for themselves without directly defining words. It's the morals, not the definitions.

I accept all people in the world. There are good people and there are bad people. If someone doesn't like me then I would try to resolve it with them but if they still don't like me then I couldn't care anymore. Engaging in mindless fights is pointless.

If someone doesn't like me then I would try to resolve it with them but if they still don't like me then I couldn't care anymore. Engaging in mindless fights is pointless.

This.

I try to be as accepting as possible, but if someone's just a stubborn hater, I don't put forth much effort and let them do their own thing. That being said there are alot of cool people that get along really well through the message to love and tolerate.

• Brohoof 1

This.

I try to be as accepting as possible, but if someone's just a stubborn hater, I don't put forth much effort and let them do their own thing. That being said there are alot of cool people that get along really well through the message to love and tolerate.

I agree. I would only snap if that same person started going around and saying untrue statements about me. At that point I would give them a piece of my mind and probably something else.

I'm afraid to say that I don't follow the "love and tolerate" creed because I feel it is often said insincerely, first of all. And second, I am a human being. And I simply do not have the ability to love and tolerate every little thing. It's not natural in my opinion. It's okay to dislike some things, and sometimes we do make mistakes like getting angry or blowing up at things we simply cannot tolerate. Whilst it is pointless and resolves nothing, at least it helps you vent and get out the negativity sometimes.

Acceptance? Even more difficult. I simply cannot accept everything. It is utterly impossible for me, and probably unrealistic for other human beings to engage in. I don't see this message explicitly anywhere in the show, to be honest. And think that the fandom itself invented it. Just because I'm part of the fandom though, doesn't mean I have to engage in it. Being a pony fan to me simply means appreciating the show. That's it.

For me, this is my own personal creed: "Love your friends and the things that you love. Make an attempt to ignore everything else. And do not tolerate or accept things that you have the ability to fix."

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough