Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Am I the only brony that prefers to listen to 80s music more than today's music?

Lewis the Brony

The reason people tend to listen to the older songs is that most songs these days are copying the old as everything has already been done. I like to listen to different songs, such as Fun. Those guys are amazing, you should search them on YouTube. Trust me, you won't regret it. =D

Wait...

There are Bronies here who like Lil' Wayne?

*Takes a puff on pipe*

Hand me my shotgun.

I gotta say, I love that response to Lil' Wayne... Anyway, I mostly stick to EDM, but there's some 80's techno I like, considering i grew up around a mother who obsesses over the 80's.

• Brohoof 1

I love a lot of the 80s music scene. Two of my favorite artists ever got there start then, Madonna and Michael Jackson. Those two are the blue prints for nearly every musical act today.

• Brohoof 1

My favourite song is Norweigan. It is called Apatisk (which roughly translates as "Apathetic") and it's by Garbled Waves, a Norweigan band.

Then, I guess you like 70s music. Don't worry, I like some 70s music too. In fact, I like some disco along with New Wave. Still, Disco was simple.

I'm still exploring. Lol, I don't go on a bus though. But, I do have an open mind though.

Man, my dad still has a bunch of LaserDiscs and Vinyls in his collection, somewhere in storage.

By the way, have you heard of Level 42? They incorporate some jazz-funk into their music. You should probably listen to their early songs though, because that has the most jazz-funk.

The 70s had some the best bands of all time in my opinion.

like the The Clash and the Sex Pistols, which are some of my favorite bands.

I like music from almost all generations. It's just that today's music seems to be mostly about getting laid or getting drunk or getting abused. At least most of the Pop that plays on the radio is. I prefer rock, and the 80s were great for that. Don't Stop Believing, Anyway You Want It, We Built This City, We Didn't Start the Fire, You Give Love a Bad Name (Basically any song by Journey and Bon Jovi I love.) Granted I haven't heard every single song each has put out, but they are in my top 10 songs I like. You're not weird, it's just that today's music is a mix of good and bad. I do like some songs from today, but most are Nickleback, Three Days Grace, Daughtry, Skillet, not Lady Gaga or Eminem. (The only songs I like from him are The Real Slim Shady and Ass Like That. I'm not really into rap though.) But it's all preferences. :3

• Brohoof 2

OK, time for me to stop procrastinating and post something useful here.  Why am I a fan of ‘80s music?  I actually got to grow up with this stuff!  biggrin.png   What I missed out on in high tech videogames and Internet access as a kid was made up for by great popular music.  Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Def Leppard, U2, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits, Journey, Joan Jett, Men at Work, Genesis, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Duran Duran, the Bangles, the Cars, Aerosmith, Queen, Berlinda Carlisle, Springsteen, INXS, Wham, Quiet Riot, the Police, Beastie Boys, A-Ha, Guns n Roses, Lionel Richie, Tina Turner, Paula Abdul, Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, Elton John.  Gotta mention Weird Al Yankovic too.  And how can anybody forget Rick "Rick Roll" Astley?  I know I’ve overlooked many memorable singers and bands.  These are just some of the names off the top of my head. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, as a 13 year old who mostly listens to 60's and 70's rock, with a little bit of 50's as well as 80's and 90's, I can certainty that there are many other people other around your age who prefer this music. Heck, from what I can tell about 60% of the classoc rock fandom is made up of teenage girls. At least, that's how it is over in Tumblr land.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know my music genres or times or anything that well really but I do listen to some older music. Bands that my parents showed me like Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, April Wine. Like I said, I don't know the years very well but I do know that most aren't if not none of them are modern music but I like some modern too. Simple Plan, Green Day, Nickelback, Eminem, Blue Oyster Cult. I'm really just listing random artists I like. Are any of these the appropriate years?

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!!!! biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png . Bro 80s music is freakin awesome! Personally I do not like today's music, people say I was born in the wrong decade. So yay your awesome, my favorite bands are JOURNEY and Queen

• Brohoof 2

Personally I do not like today's music, people say I was born in the wrong decade.
 Bro, no. There's plenty of great music out there today and no you were not born in the wrong decade. Nobody was ever "born in the wrong decade".

I actually like old songs rather than the "artists" today.

Back then when autotune was only used for electronic songs and not in every freaking song.

Back then when artist actually write their own songs.

I'm 14, and guys and gals probably older than me, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY FOR WHAT MY GENERATION HAS DONE TO MUSIC.

But I know that there are still good artists today.

• Brohoof 2

autotune

Autotune wasn't invented until the mid 90's.

Back then when artist actually write their own songs.

What are you talking about? They still do. 

I'm 14, and guys and gals probably older than me, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY FOR WHAT MY GENERATION HAS DONE TO MUSIC.

I'm 15, and I don't see exactly what my generation did to ruin music.

Bro, no. There's plenty of great music out there today and no you were not born in the wrong decade. Nobody was ever "born in the wrong decade".

People only say that as a joke and also because I do not act like a teen how lives in 2013. For example I would rather listen to Radio Ga Ga on a record rather than my phone. I understand no one is born in the wrong decade, I would just rather be a teen in 1983 rather than 2013

Edited by Brohoof117

People only say that as a joke and also because I do not act like a teen how lives in 2013. For example I would rather listen to Radio Ga Ga on a record rather than my phone. I understand no one is born in the wrong decade, I would just rather be a teen in 1983 rather than 2013

No dude, back in the 80's there was no internet, you had to go all the way to record store to get an album, there was the Cold War, homophobia was worse back then, cell phones were huge bricks, AIDS, etc. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO LIVE BACK THEN INSTEAD OF NOW? 

• Brohoof 1

No dude, back in the 80's there was no internet, you had to go all the way to record store to get an album, there was the Cold War, homophobia was worse back then, cell phones were huge bricks, AIDS, etc. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO LIVE BACK THEN INSTEAD OF NOW? 

Well if I had no idea what internet was I would be alright, I already go to the record store all the time now and by records so I alright with that. As for aids I would just not do "it", as for cell phones you have a point those things where huge bricks and caused radiation cancer or some crap. I will agree with you on the aids, cold war, and cell phones but hey im fine without internet and buying records

• Brohoof 1

Well if I had no idea what internet was I would be alright, I already go to the record store all the time now and by records so I alright with that. As for aids I would just not do "it", as for cell phones you have a point those things where huge bricks and caused radiation cancer or some crap. I will agree with you on the aids, cold war, and cell phones but hey im fine without internet and buying records

You know what, think whatever you want to think. That still won't change the fact that there's plenty of good music today and plenty of  crappy music yesterday.

My music is more 60s and 70s but some 80s stuff on Pandora. I also like some of the more contemporary music as well. A lot of today's music can capture the sound and style of older music, you just have to look past the mainstream music.

• Brohoof 2

You know what, think whatever you want to think. That still won't change the fact that there's plenty of good music today and plenty of  crappy music yesterday.

Well you are not lying. There is some pretty god awful stuff in the 80s (air supply). I am sorry if this came out the wrong way but I said I was not a fan, but I will listen to some new stuff from Bon Jovi every now and then. Sorry if I was acting very narrow minded

I'm 18 and I listen to music from almost all eras, 1960's to the present. My interest in music only began 2 years ago strangely and started back in the 60's and 70's. It was like a floodgate opened and I truly began to understand music.

To name a few.....

1960's- Simon Garfunkel, Early Pink Floyd, the Beatles, the Who, Yes, Fleetwood Mac

1970's- Pink Floyd in their Prime, Led Zeppelin, Rush

1980's- Boston, REM, U2, Pink Floyd in decline, Red Hot Chili Peppers

1990's- Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls, U2, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Fuel, Massive Attack, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Live

2000's- Explosions in the Sky, Staind, Snow Patrol, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Three Days Grace, Green Day, The Fray, Train(Only their early work)

I'm unsure right now whether I like Creed.

There is a lot of good music out there that people just don't seem to know about.

• Brohoof 1

No, you're not, and I really hope there are many more like us. Today's music is boring, derivative, and lazy. I'll take the worst 80's syntho bands and their drum machines over today's dreck.

• Brohoof 1

ITT: Buncha hipsters thinking they're cool for listening to all dem synthpop and big hair bands. derpy_emoticon2.png

All joking aside,I still listen to some '80s and '40s music.Got some Queen,Foo Fighters,The Ink Spots,Frank Sinatra,and Dean Martin on my Android with a sprinkling of some Oingo Boingo and random other '40s songs here and there.

Well not so much 80's music exclusevly, I mainly listen to music from the 60's-70's but I listen to music from all eras.. I am 18 and people think I am strange for liking music from the 60's lol... I think they are strange for not.