gaming Obscure games that barely anyone's heard of.

RoboGuy9000

I would have to say the Baten Kaitos games are pretty obscure. They're really fun though, even if the battle system takes a bit to get used to. I love them.

Kalas is best hero.

and villian! :o

• Brohoof 1

Dude, I remember playing that game on the PC when I was 7.

AWWW YEEEAH! did you ever figure out that weird level editor by chance? i was intrigued by it and tried making my own levels, but getting the actual background image to work was a pain.

AWWW YEEEAH! did you ever figure out that weird level editor by chance? i was intrigued by it and tried making my own levels, but getting the actual background image to work was a pain.

There was a level editor!?

(edited)

There was a level editor!?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0QHw7iy1Rg

It was called "Zymedit" and looked like this when you first started it up:

Posted Image

It was kind of quirky and hard to work with though. you could only see either the platforms or all the objects. Although making a level from scratch was hard, you could modify other levels to add enemies pretty easily. That's what the "custom" levels were for.

Edited by Ninjaneer

Anyone heard of a little game called Pac-Man Party? It's a Wii game with, you guessed it, pacman. And it's basically just a party game released for Pacman's 30th anniversary. It's alright to play in single player, and I enjoy the minigames. The characters are: Pacman, Inkie, Blinkie, Pinkie, Clyde, Patra (Fennec fox princess of the desert and my personal favorite!), Woofa (adorable yeti!) and Roger(toy robot guard of a kids party!)

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Touhou, definitely.

Also, how many people have played E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? If that's obscure enough, then that's also on my list.

EDIT: Phantasy Star Online, anypony?

Edited by Mint Petal

(edited)

Aww.... I couldn't recognize any of them... :I So... uh... Any good platform/action based games around here? xD

Just to note, it's not really that obscure, but it... somehow counts?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.378015-Review-Ape-Escape-1999-One-leap-forward-for-platformers-one-legion-of-devilish-smart-cosplay

Edited by OlegEqualzName

Alundra for me. It's like the top down Zelda games, but with the difficulty cranked up, and a pretty heavy and dark story. It has some gorgeous 2.5d graphics and an amazing soundtrack. The localisation work on it was top notch too, with some pretty funny lines in there. It's the obscure game that I will always recommend to people. There was a sequel. Unfortunately, though not terrible, it was nowhere near as good as the first game, and didn't feel even slightly related in terms of style or story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQD2oOmjybE

• 4 weeks later...

Psyconauts nuff said

God, I loved that game. Though I always restarted and do the whole thing again because I couldn't pass one level so I just kept on playing the beginning. My PS2 isn't set up so I can't play it.

Touhou is my favorite obscure series of games. Though I'm pretty sure most people have seen gifs of this game before. So I'm not quite sure if you can really call it obscure. If you're a fan of bullet-hell games however this will appeal to you very much. Though some people might be put off by the characters resembling loli-ish girls.

More games I know? Yesh. I found Touhou because of Bad Apple. I knew if I ever got that game I would fail miserably....

Everyone knows about advance wars and fire emblem, but few ever play it. But a REAL obscure gem would be the greatness that is Rocket: Robot on wheels, i concede that it is pretty much banjo-kazooie, but it's still really good and fun and the level designs were so unique :D

Psyconauts nuff said

Normally I would agree with this, having seen the game from it's first trailer on the Blinx disc, but quite frankly it isn't obscure anymore (Which is a good thing)

I'm not sure how big Project Zomboid is, but that has my vote.

Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space. I swear, this was the game I played every single day during my childhood. The first game was kind of meh for me, but I absolutely love the second one. It's not even that good of a game, but it was pretty much the first platformer I ever played, so I'm keeping the rosy glasses, thank you very much.

#1: Jet Set Radio Future

Really, this was just a masterpiece! With a unique concept, beautiful cel-shaded visuals and an amazing soundtrack, this game was a must-have!

#2: Blinx the Time Sweeper

Another original Xbox game from around the same time as JSRF. This was a really fun and challenging game, which put you in control of an orange-and-white human-like cat that uses a vacuum to suck up and shoot out trash to kill enemies and he is able to manipulate time in many ways (Pause, Record, Rewind, etc).

#3: Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

Yet another original Xbox game (except it was available on PS2 as well). This game had a very Australian setting to it. Ty is the main character, and he is truly an awesome hero! I mean, c'mon! He uses multiple different types of boomerangs with special abilities to help save his homeland from an evil ostrich. What's not awesome about that?

4: Road Trip Adventure

Made by Play, this rather obscure title is a pure gem! It may seem a little 'boring' from the outside, but trust me, the inside is the complete opposite! You set on a journey to win each race in each city with your customisable car, progressively upgrading your license in order to qualify for the ultimate races. Win every one and you get to race the president, and if you win, you become the new president! Bit of a small, unexplored story here, but the depth of exploring around the world in this game is fantastic, especially for a low-budget sand-box game. There's just so much to do! So many people (cars) to meet, so many mini-games to play, so many car parts to unlock and buy... Interested? SONY added this game to the EU Playstation Store.

#5: X-Blades

This recently got a rather indirect sequel, but I can't remember the name of it. X-Blades however is a slash-em-up game starring a blonde-haired girl who just so happens to have a pair of swords on her. Most people criticised this for being repetitive, too hard, not enough combat variety, etc. But I found this game to be really fun! It reminds me of Heavenly Sword, only darker and not as polished. It can get really difficult, but a bit of determination and patience should get you past these bits.

This game: Posted Image the gameplay's a bit iffy, but the story, art direction, and atmosphere are just excellent, I love this game. :wub:

i have played this game :) i love it so much! i thought it was a popular one... it's really good, i finished it within like, a day lol.

• Brohoof 1

i have played this game :) i love it so much! i thought it was a popular one... it's really good, i finished it within like, a day lol.

No, I believe it didn't sell very well and wasn't very well recieved by critics because a lot of them weren't fond of the gameplay- shame though, because the gameplay isn't really that bad and the story is definitely worth experiencing. Glad you played it, I think I finished it in a week(the game was about 15 hours for me). ;)
  • Brohoof 1

My favorite obscure games would have to be the Breath of Fire series and metal Arms glitch in the system.

Aww, yeah! Metal Arms: Glitch in the System was awesome! I occasionally still play it, although it doesn't really feel the same anymore. Edited by LMW-YBC
  • Brohoof 1