Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Pony D&D, anyone? [redux]

Card Shark

Alright fillies and gentlecolts, I want YOU (yes you there in the corner. we can all see your axe) to join me in an exhilarating quest for glory, riches, and muffins. Be warned, however, the road shall not be easy, with fell beasts and treacherous traps along your path. So, what say you?

If yes, I need a little information, and such shall be supplied by me as well, such as:

• Race
  • Class
  • Character bio/background

Listed below is the 3.5 Core Rulebook (if you don't like 3.5, you don't like real D&D), the Player HandBook (henceforth PHB), and the Character Sheet I will be using, if you want to use another one, please send me what it looks like so if you have questions about the sheet, I can help.

D&D 3.5 - Players Handbook OEF.pdf

Interactive_DnD_3.5_Character_Sheet.pdf

If you need help with anything, please don't hesitate to PM me with your issue.

If you say no, and fail to heed the call of adventure, then begone and die peacefully in your bed, while the rest of us risk our lives, possibly to save yours.

I've played other tabletop RPGs before but I've never been able to strike up a legit D&D campaign...so if you wouldn't mind having a D&D noob in the group, I'd be happy to read the handbook and try to reason the game mechanics out to the best of my ability. (Although from what I've heard, v3.5 is supposedly much easier to grasp than AD&D.)

This is all assuming my schedule doesn't clash with everypony else's, of course. Would you like to throw some time frames that work for you, Mr. DM?

• Brohoof 1

Well, I have no problem with helping fresh adventurers with getting started, 3.5 is SO much better to grasp than the incredibly vague AD&D, and as far as the time schedule goes, I would like to see when everyone is available and tailor it to the perfect time for you all.

• Brohoof 1

I am up for this shit. Its gonna be my first campaign though so i am a total noob in this, But i am heavily interested. Are we gonna have ponies in this campaign? Changelings? Griffinsm Zebras?

My dorms D&D campaign just finished and I'm still in the mood for more. However, i'm still a newbie. I play DDO which has kept me up to date on....'some' of the terms/spells/skills, but I'm certainly a farcry from a D&D encyclopedia.

Regardless, I can try to keep up, and would like to throw my hat into the ring.

Great. I will have zebras, pegasi, griffins, earth ponies, unicorns, griffins, and changelings. Any other races you want to see, please let me know.

lol ddo... where it does have some useful terms, it uses 4th ed. for its systems, which is really just tabletop WoW. Like I say, 3.5 is the most solid out of all the D&D editions, and that is why I use it.

Lol so many noobs. I may as well just host a seminar... lol

• Brohoof 1

Great. I will have zebras, pegasi, griffins, earth ponies, unicorns, griffins, and changelings. Any other races you want to see, please let me know.

lol ddo... where it does have some useful terms, it uses 4th ed. for its systems, which is really just tabletop WoW. Like I say, 3.5 is the most solid out of all the D&D editions, and that is why I use it.

Lol so many noobs. I may as well just host a seminar... lol

you sure? I know that the new neverwinter mmo uses 4th edition, but I thought DDO kept with 3.5. I suppose I could be wrong. eh, never the less. I play 3.5 with my dorm so i'm not 100% unfamiliar with it.

you sure? I know that the new neverwinter mmo uses 4th edition, but I thought DDO kept with 3.5. I suppose I could be wrong. eh, never the less. I play 3.5 with my dorm so i'm not 100% unfamiliar with it.

Yeah, DDO is in Eberron, which was designed as a 4th ed area.

Lol there still are a few, and it's great you have experience. Any help you can offer with others' novice status will be great.

Well, I have no problem with helping fresh adventurers with getting started, 3.5 is SO much better to grasp than the incredibly vague AD&D, and as far as the time schedule goes, I would like to see when everyone is available and tailor it to the perfect time for you all.

Ah, okay then. As far as my schedule is concerned, I should be free pretty much every weeknight, usually get home from work around 6PM (PST). Weekends are kind of iffy for me as I typically spend them recording with my band, but if I had to say which day would be better, it'd probably be Sundays.

As for races, is it pretty much going to be like, every D&D race corresponds to a race from the MLP universe? I.e., Earth ponies = humans, unicorns = elves, etc.?

@@Card Shark,

I found the list of racial traits I was using. It's not perfect, but it worked okay.

Earth Ponies= humans (most versatile, time not spent on magic/flight can be dedicated to other skills hence the bonus feats and skill points)

Unicorns= Half-elves or gnomes, but with bonus spells (innate magical abilities and resistances)

Pegasi= Halflings, but still count as a medium size class, with flight as its own skill (nimble and agile to allow for flight)

Zebras= Dwarves or half-orcs (I don't know why but Dwarf just felt right. Also they get a penalty to charisma because everyone thinks they're evil enchantresses.)

Apparently I had never added Griffons orginally, but I would probably give them half-orc traits. 

Also, I can help with new players.

Edited by Alex Kennedy

@@Card Shark,

I found the list of racial traits I was using. It's not perfect, but it worked okay.

Earth Ponies= humans (most versatile, time not spent on magic/flight can be dedicated to other skills hence the bonus feats and skill points)

Unicorns= Half-elves or gnomes, but with bonus spells (innate magical abilities and resistances)

Pegasi= Halflings, but still count as a medium size class, with flight as its own skill (nimble and agile to allow for flight)

Zebras= Dwarves or half-orcs (I don't know why but Dwarf just felt right. Also they get a penalty to charisma because everyone thinks they're evil enchantresses.)

Apparently I had never added Griffons orginally, but I would probably give them half-orc traits. 

Also, I can help with new players.

Ok, I agree with earth ponies being human, but I would drop half elf from unicorn and go full elf. Pegasi/halfling works, zebra for dwarves does sound right, (that do evil dances and put you in trances(Best fluttershy moment EVAR!)) and i was thinking half orc for griffons. Changelings are dopplegangers, and will be treated as such.

Also, perfect.

@@Alex Kennedy, Changelings? XD They could be... Dark Elves aka Drow or Duergar or i dont remember what now? You know just to make things interesting. 

Drow are dark elves, and duergar are grey dwarves. I would, but doppleganger fits them so much better, and drow are OP anyway.

Ok, I agree with earth ponies being human, but I would drop half elf from unicorn and go full elf. Pegasi/halfling works, zebra for dwarves does sound right, (that do evil dances and put you in trances(Best fluttershy moment EVAR!)) and i was thinking half orc for griffons. Changelings are dopplegangers, and will be treated as such.

Also, perfect.

What does that mean? That... we'll be one race to the other just like that? I mean... what happens when the changeling chooses to  be... a changeling? Anyways i most probably will go with my unicorn wizard if nothing else can be done.

but I would drop half elf from unicorn and go full elf

If you want to go that route, make them grey elves instead. They get intelligence, whereas full elves just get dexterity. I think gnome might actually work better because of their natural spell-like abilities. 

What does that mean? That... we'll be one race to the other just like that? I mean... what happens when the changeling chooses to  be... a changeling? Anyways i most probably will go with my unicorn wizard if nothing else can be done.

Ok, it means, that changelings, are the race. They can be of different classes, but the base race is changling/doppleganger. You can still play them as you want, but instead of being a griffon, or a pegasus, they are changelings. Also, they can at will change their appearance, as a dopppleganger.

Other races will act as other races, the only two with two different race capabilities, are Unicorn, because elves and gnomes are very close to each other as magical races, and as magical races, should be under Unicorn, and Earth ponies, with human and half elf.

If you want to go that route, make them grey elves instead. They get intelligence, whereas full elves just get dexterity. I think gnome might actually work better because of their natural spell-like abilities. 

I think that would be best, making them grey elves. I wouldn't expect a unicorn to get a dex bonus lol. Definitely pegasus though, that's why I like halfling for them.

I'm up for it, again, as long as it goes better than last time... Summer's coming up though, so I shouldn't have as many things getting in the way of making whatever time we agree on. I might be getting a job though, so it's not like I'd be able to make just ANY time, but it should be a pretty predictable schedule.

By the way, instead of trying to shove a pony-shaped peg through a roughly humanoid hole, we could try out one of the tabletop-style RPGs that were built from the ground up for ponies. The only one that I know by name is Pony Tales, which sounds unique and balanced, albeit fairly complex. Just an option though, 3.5e is versatile enough to manage just fine and a lot of us are familiar with it already.

is it to late to join? if not im in

i have no knowledge of how to play DND so im gonna need a lot of help but i know some of the classes since i tried join another of the many groups on the forum trying to start a DND campaign so i want to be a cleric or bard so which race would be good for those unicore or earth pony

I would be very interested in joining. I have no idea how this will work with ponies, but I'm up for it, if you're still accepting. I have played 3.5 and 4 before (Although i have a strong dislike for 4), and generally play divine classes(Paladin, Cleric.), but may change it up.

Edited by Brosparkles

is it to late to join? if not im in

i have no knowledge of how to play DND so im gonna need a lot of help but i know some of the classes since i tried join another of the many groups on the forum trying to start a DND campaign so i want to be a cleric or bard so which race would be good for those unicore or earth pony

That's just fine. Race for cleric, it's alright for most races, save pegasi and unicorns. They simply do better as wizard/sorcerer. Best two I've seen would actually be zebra or griffin. Bards can go a lot of different ways, with magic, skills, even more combat oriented, so it just depends on which way you wanna take it. Bard is all about balancing and supporting the party where it's weak.

I would be very interested in joining. I have no idea how this will work with ponies, but I'm up for it, if you're still accepting. I have played 3.5 and 4 before, and generally play divine classes(Paladin, Cleric.), but may change it up.

Wonderful. We will be playing 3.5, and the biggest changes are races and rp, so the game should feel similar, if not the same.

Also, to everyone who is interested, please make a character using the information on the first post. If you have any questions about how, message me your problem.

Any thing in particular that you don't allow? I own a lot of the books, but didn't know if there were any books/classes you didn't allow, so I don't end up making a class that you don't use.

We will only be using the core set basics for those who will be new to the game. Eventually, we may branch off and begin utilizing the expansions.

So I can't just unnecessarily complicate things by being a psion and forcing everybody to learn how psionics work? Aw, nuts.

• Brohoof 2

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Psionics is very intricate, and even though it would be perfect for unicorns, I think we will wait a bit for that. Pick your battles.