mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Inherent Vice

I still can't believe I got to watch this two months ahead of release. This is getting quite a bit of hype in some circles - understandably considering it's a new film by a respected director - but I do hope people don't set their expectations too high. This movie struck me as PTA goofing off rather than aiming for greatness. I suspect audiences will be quite split on this one, and it's unlikely to get much love from the Academy come oscar time, save for maybe in the technical categories. 

What did I think? Ehhhh. It's either a comedy that isn't funny enough or a mystery that's too convoluted to engage, unless the increasingly tangled plot is meant to be some kind of meta-joke. All I could really appreciate from a single viewing of it was the fantastic 70s period detail and the exuberant performances. Otherwise, I don't know what to make of it.

Maybe I needed to be stoned.

• Brohoof 1

Guardians of the Galaxy in theatres....I don't really like PG-13, but I was invited by friends (who work at the theatre so I get in free), and I was utterly blown away by it...Favorite adult movie in a really long time!

LOTR is my all time favorite....I am not very impressed by The Hobbit (they added stuff completely unnecessary and not in the book).

• Brohoof 1

Last movie I watched in theaters was in September, when I went to the US. I picked nighttime because so. My pick was Guardians of the Galaxy. Ladies and dudez, BEST, MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE MOVIE, EVAH :wub: .

My actual last movie I watched was Rainbow Rocks, it was a theater rip because I'm not even in the US and I spoiled it too much already. Oh my god, it was much better than the first one, the pacing, the writing, the story, the characters, wasted little time with exposition. In one word, what Trollpool says at 1:16 of the following video

@@Rudes, I can't wait to see Inherent Vice, how did you get to see it so early?!  :o

Today I seen Gone Girl. Really enjoyed it. I haven't read the book, but apparently it has a different ending so will be reading it eventually just for that

I really, really wanted to see Amy getting what was coming to her

. Lovely work as always from Fincher, the story was really gripping too, never felt dull for a moment. I love Affleck more and more, he's a really good actor (better director) and will be a fabulous Batman (as I can say I personally predicted/championed to happen after Argo originally came out).

Score from Reznor and Ross is pretty poor this time though. It sometimes feels like it's just a bunch of random clicks and noises that have no bearing on the scene/mood whatsoever.

• Brohoof 1

@@Rudes, I can't wait to see Inherent Vice, how did you get to see it so early?!  :o

Long story short, I was volunteering at the New York Film Festival where the film had its world premiere a few nights ago, with zero expectations of getting in. My volunteer manager must have taken a liking to me, because she released me from my shift early and managed to get her hands on an unclaimed ticket for me. Next thing I know, I'm in the auditorium, sitting nearly at the front, with Paul Thomas Anderson introducing the film (along with the cast) just a few dozen feet away from me.

Surreal night, that was. Hopefully I'll have the same luck when Birdman screens on closing night.  :lol:

Adolescence of Utena

Now this is an odd creation. A very loose retelling of the Revolutionary Girl Utena television show, that could also count as an alternate ending to the series despite the apparent lack of continuity because LOL SURREALISM. I'm not sure why it exists, but I'll take it.

I liked it more than the show, in fact. Sure, the characters don't have much depth here and the narrative is pretty much incoherent, but it also fixes the pacing problems of the show and boasts far more inventive visuals and superior production values. I found it easy to just put aside my hangups with the characters and plot and just enjoy the beautifully animated lunacy on display.

Fun way to spend 90 minutes.

Gone Girl:

With director David Fincher at the helm, best selling book "Gone Girl" has become a best selling movie. Starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl" is a suspenseful tale of deceit, lies, and twists.

When Amy Elliott-Dunne (Pike), star of the her parents children book series "Amazing Amy", goes missing the morning of her 5th anniversary, it's up Amy's husband, Nick (Affleck), to find her before the mounting evidence that says Nick murdered his wife brings him to court.

The most obvious fault in the film is its choppy editing. Establishing shots of the town of North Carthage, Missouri in the first few minutes linger only enough for the eye to focus on it before being whisked away to another view. The eye is never given enough time to focus entirely on one shot, and this continues throughout the film. This quick editing affects the pacing of the film. The most exciting moment of the film comes in the middle, and rather than leaving it there, the ride continues and the film never quite picks up creates a second climax as one would expect to occur.

If the editing is the biggest let down of the film, then the characters are definitely the most intriguing. While neither character is exactly likeable, it is difficult to figure out which character should be hated more. Nick is a sleazy liar with a knack for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Amy is cold, calculating, and vicious. She definitely leaves the audience wondering, as Nick wonders in the opening shot: what's going on in her mind? Unfortunately for her, she is not as smart as she thinks she is, and her inability to plan out the unpredictable leaves Amy in trouble at a few points in the film. The smartest character definitely is left to Detective Rhonda Boney, played exceptionally by Kim Dickens. With a discerning eye, and a disbelief for Occams Razor, Boney has nearly everything figured out, until she finally lets the media frenzy and Nicks bumbling lies get to her. However, when Amy reveals herself, and has her own side of events to tell, Boney finally understands it all.

The plot, while intricate and winding, is not nearly as well thought out as the characters within it. To the mystery connoisseur, every one of Amy's movements can be picked apart and assessed. When the analysis is complete, the conclusion is that this story is more fiction than fact, and many of Amy's tricks could easily be exposed when suspension of disbelief is withheld.

Despite these errors, "Gone Girl" still has a thrill ride of a story, and has earned the 37.5 million that it has already grossed at the box office.  As a whole, "Gone Girl" succeeds at entertaining the masses, and is a definite 4/5 film. A must see for the season. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

does little dashie movie on youtube count? it was so emotionally powerful and can relate alot with the connections between me and my dad acually. im thinking someday seeing the next hobbit movie as well as someday when ever it comes out the deadpool movie as well :)