Who is Scootaloo?

Mr. Changeling

she was born in a small town, her parents lost her when she crawled off, she then was found and raised by chickens, she still resides with mr. and ms. cluck to this day

I don´t understand why so many Bronies want to know everything about the characters. I personally thing that Scootaloo doesn´t need a back-story or a known present situation other than the one she has with the CMC and Rainbow Dash. I haven´t even developed those aspects of her character in my own head-canon.

I do agree with you on this, there are many characters we dont need back round on, however, when the developers decide to make an episode about the character, there should consider this might become a fan favorite, there for, we should get more back story on scooraloo, like with rainbow dash. I meen, we know she is from clouds dale, but who are her parents and why did she come to ponyville?

Scootaloo is an orange pony with a purple mane and flying issues. She is portrayed as a pony nobody really like as a favorite and I hope she gets lots of screen time in Season 4.

(edited)

Scootaloo contributes pretty much as much as King Sombra did in the season 3 opening in all 3 seasons she has been in aka next to nothing in the show.

She isn't her own character and has been such a static character since day one that she lacks a personality and we know disgustingly little about her. She doesn't do anything but worship Rainbow Dash,ride her scooter and be Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle's shadow. The only thing she "adds" to the show is to have Rainbow Dash's softer side develop with an unofficial sister dynamic that would have worked better by using Fluttershy in that role so therefore the one thing Scootaloo does (being a plot device to develop Rainbow's character) could easily be done by somepony else which means she is completely and utterly useless as well as the worst written character in the show so far.

Edited by cmarston1

(edited)

Scootaloo is from Ponyville. Her sister is Cheerilee.

This is her story, according to a backcard. (2005)

"Today is an extra-special day! The sun is brighter, the sky is bluer and it feels like magic is in the air! The ponies have found lots of new places in Ponyville, and they're about to discover the most magical place of all—Butterfly Island.

Come and join them on their exciting adventure!

Ponies are always on the go—and the fastest way to race from one adventure to another is on their very own scooters!"

"Dress up this adorable SCOOTALOO pony figure as a pretty flower! Put on her flower headpiece for dress-up fun – any time! Pony figure comes with flower head piece."

And in later times:  (2009)

"SCOOTALOO pony loves to play games. She’s always on the go to meet and play outdoors with her pony friends, especially her big sister CHEERILEE pony!

With big, beautiful eyes, a happy face and a pretty butterfly CUTIE MARK design on her side, your SCOOTALOO pony figure is sure to be a very special friend! Brush your adorable pony pal’s hair with her own brush so she looks as lovely as can be and then take her on all of your imaginative adventures. No matter where you two go, you and your new friend are sure to have all kinds of fun!"

Edited by Tual
  • Brohoof 1

I feel like we're missing a lot of information about Scootaloo. I understand that she's not related closely to the Mane 6 so it's not as necessary to include her, but with the sisterly relationship she *wants* to have with Rainbow Dash, the story could definitely be developped further so we get a more  balanced story on the CMC characters.

@Parasprite I'm surprised to find out she's Cheerilee's sister! I didn't get that impression at all! I'm only in the middle of season 2 though... Interesting!

To me Scootaloo is the most annoying character in the whole show. Mostly because we know next to nothing about her. We don't know who her parents are? We don't know why she can't fly? We don't even know why she is obsessed with Rainbow Dash.

Another thing is she has barely shown she has her own character. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell have at least something that makes them different from AJ and Rarity, but Scootaloo just seems to copy RD more and more. She her self is a living blank flank.  

What have we learned about her in the last 3 seasons.

1. She likes Rainbow Dash

2. She really likes Rainbow Dash

3. She is obsessed with Rainbow Dash.

In 3 season we have not been shown anything else about this character that has nothing to do with RD. It's like the writers are afraid to expand her character or what to do with her.

As for her parents, I don't think she is an orphan. I have 2 ideas about her parents.

1. Both of her parents are earth ponies. So something like the Cake Family, but unlike Pound Cake who could fly in a month, she was unable to fly. Also being in an earth pony family she did not learn how to fly because maybe to much earth pony.

2. One parent is a pegasus and the other is a earth pony. The pegasus who I would pick as the mom is very weak and Scootaloo also very weak for a flyer.

This is just how I view her.

I think I can answer your question.

I'm not sure why she can't fly, probably because she is a filly.

The reason why we don't know who her parents is is that all pegasi in the show have a mystery about their family/relationships. No one really has a parent, and I'm sure that's why Scootaloo is so attached to Rainbow Dash because she's another pegasus, or is just her role model.

I think I can answer your question.

I'm not sure why she can't fly, probably because she is a filly.

The reason why we don't know who her parents is is that all pegasi in the show have a mystery about their family/relationships. No one really has a parent, and I'm sure that's why Scootaloo is so attached to Rainbow Dash because she's another pegasus, or is just her role model.

No way I'm buying any of this.

Scootaloo being a filly should have nothing to do with the fact that she can't fly. Here are a few reasons. 

In The Cutie Mark Chronicle episode, Fluttershy and RD look younger then the CMC and they can fly.

Fluttershy who is a weak flyer can still do some of the basic things. Even hover. 

In that same episode, one of the bully ponies says that, his baby brother can even fly. This shows that baby ponies fly at young ages.

In the episode Baby Cakes Pound Cake is able to fly only after a month and don't say he can't anymore or say it was an outburst. In the Crystal Heart Spell book, in one of the chapters they have Pound Cake still flying. Meaning flying sticks for a long time.

I don't believe in the whole pegasus parents parents die at a young age thing. 

In games Ponies Play, we saw Rainbow Dash's dad. True, we don't know what he is doing now, but he is still alive and she is very young.

In the episode Magical Mystery Cure, Fluttershy is about to leave Ponyville. When Twilight talks to her, Fluttershy says, she is going home. So that is already a sign that her parents are still alive. Unless she is going back to Cloudsdale to live in an empty house.

As for where they are, they could all still live in Clousdale or other towns and just are not be able to visit because of work. As for Scootaloos parents maybe could be the same thing or they are just some where else. Besides wouldn't Scootaloo be attached to all pegasus because they all have no parents/

So I think I just disproved the idea that pegasus are all parent less. Until I here something from the show I don't believe any theory that  anyone comes up with.

Scootaloo is a school-age Pegasus pony and one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Her initial appearance is in "Friendship is Magic, part 1" as a cameo; Scootaloo's first official appearance as a primary character is in "Call of the Cutie." Like Apple BloomSweetie Belle, and Babs Seed, Scootaloo doesn't have hercutie mark yet. Although not yet capable of flying, Scootaloo is a talented scooter driver who uses her wings to propel herself at high speeds. She greatly idolizes Rainbow Dash, another Pegasus pony, with whom she enjoys a sister-like relationship, despite the two being unrelated.  Scootaloo is the only member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders not related to a main character.

from mlp wiki

She's a real cute chicken obsessed with Rainbow Dash, who strives to be just like her one day. Except she can't fly yet as a little filly but still does awesome tricks on her scooter. :3

She's a pegasus filly who has Earth Pony parents, that's my headcanon until the show proves otherwise.

Personally I think the reason we haven't seen much about her background was because the plot hasn't called for it yet, but I hope we will see it in the future

(edited)

I think Scootaloo has more character than a lot of posters are giving her credit for. Her obsession with Rainbow Dash doesn't make her one dimensional. The obsession reflects her deeper issues. She is a very insecure pony. She wants to belong, and since she already has a few things in common with RD (a need for speed, a sense of daring), it makes sense that RD is the pony Scootaloo would want to attach herself to. Let's also not forget that Rainbow Dash is a very popular pony. She has her own fan club. So Scootaloo's "obsession" is really no different than any one of us brony's "obsession" with ponies. It's quite common.

Scootaloo has also shown her insecurity in Sleepless in Ponyville. She didn't want RD to know she was scared, but she didn't want any of the other ponies to notice either.

I would like to see a bit more character development for Scootaloo, but I wouldn't say she's the most boring. If anything, I find her lack of backstory mysterious.

Edited by Princess Lona
  • Brohoof 1

Some day I hope we get to see Scoot's parents. You never see them, she doesn't have any sisters or brothers, and as far as we know she lives on the ground unless she has parents (taking into consideration her lack of ability to fly higher than a ramp) to take her to cloudsdale.

(edited)

I think Scootaloo has more character than a lot of posters are giving her credit for. Her obsession with Rainbow Dash doesn't make her one dimensional. The obsession reflects her deeper issues. She is a very insecure pony. She wants to belong, and since she already has a few things in common with RD (a need for speed, a sense of daring), it makes sense that RD is the pony Scootaloo would want to attach herself to. Let's also not forget that Rainbow Dash is a very popular pony. She has her own fan club. So Scootaloo's "obsession" is really no different than any one of us brony's "obsession" with ponies. It's quite common.

Scootaloo has also shown her insecurity in Sleepless in Ponyville. She didn't want RD to know she was scared, but she didn't want any of the other ponies to notice either.

I would like to see a bit more character development for Scootaloo, but I wouldn't say she's the most boring. If anything, I find her lack of backstory mysterious.

I can kind of see where you are coming from about the lack of backstory being mysterious but Scootaloo's worshiping of Rainbow Dash has barley been touched as actual depth and she has been pretty much a static character from day one and since Sweetie Belle has been in the show just as long as her that does not give her the right to have no character development or interesting things about her.

Since Scootaloo has had pretty much no character development and hasn't been expanded on in terms of being interesting not having a backstory wouldn't be mysterious but be incredibly annoying as well as make her  have as little depth as King Sombra but be more disappointing due to having more time to be fleshed out.

Edited by cmarston1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to think that she's a pony born to two earth ponies who happened to have a pegasus somewhere in their family tree, which explains her lack of flying ability and it also explains why she attends school in ponyville and not cloudsdale.

• Brohoof 1

Scootaloo may be indirectly related to Rainbow (fourth cousin two times removed?) so she may be staying with Rainbow. Also, as not much is known about Rainbow's family, maybe she counts Scootaloo as family, so they may be unbiological sisters. Or Scootaloo lives in a chicken coop and is really a chicken in disguise.

Speaking of parents, where is Applejacks and Appleblooms parents? I know what happend in the apple family reunion, still, you would think that Granny Smith would mantion atleast a bit. Whats with parents in my little pony!!!!!

Speaking of parents, where is Applejacks and Appleblooms parents? I know what happend in the apple family reunion, still, you would think that Granny Smith would mantion atleast a bit. Whats with parents in my little pony!!!!!

Applejack's parents have been confirmed to be deceased in an interview or something and the two falling stars at the end of apple family reunion was to symbolise them.

• 1 year later...

I don't know any solid facts about her back story but I do have a head canon. First of all

As for her parents, I don't think she is an orphan. I have 2 ideas about her parents.

1. Both of her parents are earth ponies. So something like the Cake Family, but unlike Pound Cake who could fly in a month, she was unable to fly. Also being in an earth pony family she did not learn how to fly because maybe to much earth pony.

2. One parent is a pegasus and the other is a earth pony. The pegasus who I would pick as the mom is very weak and Scootaloo also very weak for a flyer.

I see both of these as valid possibilities. But I have my own take on the second one. It's very possible that Scootaloo's mom is actually Fluttershy. Scoots has a yellowish brown coat and a pinkish mane which is very similar to Fluttershy's color scheme. Also, just like Scootaloo, Fluttershy is a weak flyer. It's very possible that Scootaloo's flying disability is a genetic trait she inherited it from Flutters. Although, I seriously doubt Fluttershy would ever have the confidence to bang an Earth Pony. just saying.

Applejack's parents have been confirmed to be deceased in an interview or something and the two falling stars at the end of apple family reunion was to symbolise them.

as for Rarity and Sweetie's parents, we saw them very briefly in "Sisterhooves Social". Apperently, they like to travel a lot hence why we never see them at any other point in the show. Edited by The thoughtful brony

• 10 months later...

To me Scootaloo is the most annoying character in the whole show. Mostly because we know next to nothing about her. We don't know who her parents are? We don't know why she can't fly? We don't even know why she is obsessed with Rainbow Dash.

Another thing is she has barely shown she has her own character. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell have at least something that makes them different from AJ and Rarity, but Scootaloo just seems to copy RD more and more. She her self is a living blank flank.  

What have we learned about her in the last 3 seasons.

1. She likes Rainbow Dash

2. She really likes Rainbow Dash

3. She is obsessed with Rainbow Dash.

In 3 season we have not been shown anything else about this character that has nothing to do with RD. It's like the writers are afraid to expand her character or what to do with her.

This is just how I view her.

Yeah, I would think they would try to deviate away from how G1 ponies did the same thing making copies of pre-existing ponies making younger versions of them but not with Scootaloo. :l

She is a Pegasus filly and one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. :P

After reading OP's post though, I've got to say that I think it was said by one of the writers that Scootaloo does have parents (we do see her house in Flight to the Finish, after all), but they were never really brought up. Shame.