movies/tv Forced Upgrade to Youtube One Channel

Carbon Maestro

What type of Youtube layout do you prefer?  

19 users have voted

1. 1. What type of Youtube layout do you prefer?

• Youtube One
    • The Old Youtube Backgrounds (Custom Backgrounds and Image Maps)

(edited)

Okay, Youtube has become more of a prick as time goes on, and I just learned this information. img-1488961-1-tumblr_mn7ohx1mZ61r3m0hpo1

What the freaking hell, mandatory conversion to Youtube One? Seriously, I have to feel for this video, it's so true in many ways.

I would be cool if there were an option to stay with the old, but this is so freaking stupid you have no idea. Not only will it slash beautiful backgrounds and replace it with a tiny banner and white space, but Youtube forces it on people! As an avid youtuber who just got a new custom channel background, it just disgusts me.

Not to mention that Youtube is attempting to promote paid subscriptions. Yes, you'll one day have to pay to watch some of the most popular videos. Check it out at New York Times.

Oh yes, feel free to vent out your anger against Google and Youtube in this forum. I had to myself.

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 4

No...

No...

Please no...

Why?!

Man, I just checked out my channel, and yes, it's true, there will be a forced upgrade...

Why, Youtube? Have you not already made enough heinous and ugly changes to your interface? I mean, I love my custom backgrounds and stuff! I personally dislike when I click on a person's channel and see the Youtube One layout, it's so clunky and hard to navigate for me.

Honestly, shouldn't Youtube do what the consumers desire instead of pushing such horrendous designs upon us? Yes, it's their website, but when a lot of folks aren't fond of a new change, why not just not do it? I don't see how this new layout is even an upgrade, like I said before, it's hard for me to navigate and figure out. Not to mention it's just plain ugly.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I actually upgraded to it early, but I got to be honest ever since google got integrated with youtube. Youtube has become less appealing, like the only reason I upgraded was because it was always asking me to do so. Just like it's always asking you to create a google + account, like I do not want a google + account so stop asking me. Like it's google's fault, they really should just stay away from youtube. Just let youtube do it's thing.

But why forcing it on people, is it not just because they know that noone would use it if they wouldn't force it on people, it's pathetic that they can't make a layout that's better then the old one so they need to make a new one and force it on people simply because it sucks.. Well I'm not going to go much deeper into this, but before I know it they will force you to create google + account too, well I don't like where this is going.

Edit, btw I have been using the new layout for a long time and I still don't really like it.. Even though I have gotten used to it, it's still a lot nicer seeing a channel with the old layout.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 2

This happens every time a site updates it's look.

People scream about how terrible it is, and why it shouldn't happen, and in two weeks they get used to it and it's fine.

• Brohoof 3

Hmm wonder what's up with everything being called *title* One these days. They're naming the new Xbox the Xbox One and now we have this. Interesting..

but yeah I skimmed that Youtube video and I'm kinda apathetic about the change. As long as I can still watch Youtube videos it's fine.

No...

No...

Please no...

Why?!

Man, I just checked out my channel, and yes, it's true, there will be a forced upgrade...

Why, Youtube? Have you not already made enough heinous and ugly changes to your interface? I mean, I love my custom backgrounds and stuff! I personally dislike when I click on a person's channel and see the Youtube One layout, it's so clunky and hard to navigate for me.

Honestly, shouldn't Youtube do what the consumers desire instead of pushing such horrendous designs upon us? Yes, it's their website, but when a lot of folks aren't fond of a new change, why not just not do it? I don't see how this new layout is even an upgrade, like I said before, it's hard for me to navigate and figure out. Not to mention it's just plain ugly.

I'm pretty sure that Google is trying to integrate Youtube and Google+ into one. From far away, every youtube channel is going to look the same. This is the biggest update in years, and it shouldn't have to be forced.

I'm pretty sure that Google is trying to integrate Youtube and Google+ into one. From far away, every youtube channel is going to look the same. This is the biggest update in years, and it shouldn't have to be forced.

Yes, seems that way to me as well. An update like this... I feel like they shouldn't force it on everybody, as you stated. I dunno, I realize that after the update comes perhaps the complaining will die down, but I still don't even like the last channel update that happened. Overall, this is a mistake, and I'm sure Google knows this but just doesn't care.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

(edited)

Why? Why does Google have to wreck everything I love? I accidentally clicked the update button, and I'm already regretting it. The layout is terrible and it looks simply awful! First, they try to take away nicknames and now THIS? I hope something is done to change all this. Everyone hates what they're doing, so why won't they stop? sad.png

Edited by DJ-BRONI3
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

WE'RE A HUGE CORPORATION, THAT MEANS WE CAN SHIT ALL OVER OUR USERS WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES, YAY!!

38087503.jpg

I remember when channels looked unique. Now they're all just shoehorned into the same format, killing everything that made the old channels awesome. I  think we've reached a point where sending them feedback is just wasted effort. They've pretty clearly demonstrated that they don't care anymore.

Edited by ThatFinnMetalhead
  • Brohoof 1

The same sort of thing happened to me when the timelines where introduced on Facebook. It was VERY frustrating at first but after a few weeks I forgot about it. Though for now there's nothing we can do about this sort of thing unfortunately. dry.png

I updated to the new channel early.

It's not really that bad, in all honesty.

Sure, some things are hard to find, but you'll get used to it eventually.

dry.png

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why a website is still necessary for any artist. You can't expect to have a consistent place for others to acquire your art if you're entirely reliant on third party sites like YouTube, SoundCloud, deviantART, etc.

I personally don't like the YouTube One layout, but I switched when it was offered to get all the design work out of the way quickly. It's kind of a mess now, but really, the most you can do is submit suggestions and hope enough people are doing the same.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not to play devil's advocate here, but to be fair, YouTube is still a free service (for now)* so they really have the right to change their website as they see fit because you're not paying for anything nor are you forced to use YouTube's services if you don't like it.

That said, I don't particularly like huge sudden changes either, but eventually we'll all get used to it, and again, it's free so considering all that YouTube offers, we're actually quite spoiled.

For my part, I don't really use my channel for anything at all (I don't even remember what it looks like) especially as I can access my subscriptions from the homepage, so YouTube can do what it wants to my channel. As long as I can still watch videos freely, I'm a happy camper.

*to the best of my knowledge, anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Gigapony

That makes me go angry.pngangry.pngangry.png

but actually i have it already xD

but i still have problems with that shit!

my reaction:

I HATE IT!!!

im so angry I could just kick on something or scream...

if you know what i mean wink.png

• Brohoof 1

This is awful. Google keeps force changes that are just bad and they don't even listen to user feedback. Every time I get used to a new YouTube layout they break it again. Always looking more cluttered. :(

I don't know how long all of you have been around Youtube for how long, but I joined Youtube WAAYY back in 2006 (Yeah, google the images from their layouts, when there was still a 5-star system)

But Youtube frequently changes layouts about every two years, and even though it seems horrible now, everyone will adapt to the new lay out. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Everyone will grow in to it and settle in for a while, then in 2015/2016 time they will have changed it again. It's a never ending process.

I don't know how long all of you have been around Youtube for how long, but I joined Youtube WAAYY back in 2006 (Yeah, google the images from their layouts, when there was still a 5-star system)

But Youtube frequently changes layouts about every two years, and even though it seems horrible now, everyone will adapt to the new lay out. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Everyone will grow in to it and settle in for a while, then in 2015/2016 time they will have changed it again. It's a never ending process.

I've been on Youtube since 2006 as well, but the layout before the last change was the best, at least in my opinion.

And yes, it's true, the arguing and complaining will die down, but I see nothing wrong with it. I'd much rather see some debate over it than everyone nodding their heads and going along to get along.

• Brohoof 1

Although I will miss the channel background and image maps, I actually like the new layout. The first time youtube changed their layout, everyone hated it, but eventually youtube brought back the things that were missing. I think that we should just get used to stuff changing, and take advantage of it. Make the best of what you have instead of complaining about what you don't.

This just drives me INSANE. The problem I find not only has to do with the layout, but the complete ignorance of YouTube's feedback that it receives from its users. Every time there is a layout change, I would visit their forums and they would be bombarded with hate, many even threatening to kill the staff members, and yet they do not listen to anything users say. The new homepage layout looks like a site that hasn't even loaded completely and don't get me started on the OneChannel layout. There wasn't even anything wrong with the old layout, why change it. You know a site has failed when many of its users install extensions to make the site look better (eg. YouTube centre).

YouTube's motto: "If it ain't broke, BREAK IT".