Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How shall I convince my parents to let me buy an MLP messenger bag?

BrainyBrony

So, I want to buy a Twilight Sparkle messenger bag saying 'Read a book' on it for school and stuff. The thing is, neither of my parents know I'm a Brony and if they do find out, especially accidentally, they'll feel pretty strongly about it. My dad wants me to grow up to be all macho and manly (Which, to be honest, I'm the polar oposite of macho and manly) and my mum would just think it's weird. So how in the hay am I supposed to ask if I can buy the bag?

Say its a present for some girl in your class. Then tell them that girl left your school and she told you to keep the bag to remember her. You tell that to your parents, and they won't think you're weird, since you're using it for her. Other than that, I have no idea.

• Brohoof 4

Or you could grow a set and ask them directly? Honestly I don't know why you should care, it's your life to control, not theirs. My parents are the same, but they know I am a brony and occasionally poke fun at me, nothing serious :/ Seriously the only thing you should do is to just ask them.

• Brohoof 5

Just be honest with your parents and tell them that you're a brony and that you want a Twilight Sparkle messenger bag. From what you've told us, your parents might find it outlandish, but at the same time they're your parents. They should accept and respect whatever you're into.

• Brohoof 1

Find a summer work, earn some money and buy this on your own cash. By this way, you must not ask your parents for the money, and can buy it independently of their opinion. I have bought all my pony merchandise this way.

Or you could grow a set and ask them directly? Honestly I don't know why you should care, it's your life to control, not theirs. My parents are the same, but they know I am a brony and occasionally poke fun at me, nothing serious :/ Seriously the only thing you should do is to just ask them.

But my parents wouldn't just "poke fun at me". They'd make the rest of my high school years a living hell, and so would every single one of my anti-brony friends! I think I'll just wait until the time is right to tell them, whenever that will be.

If you have money for the bag then just buy the bag. People are always going to judge, but if your parents can't accept who you are then they are not good parents. The only thing that should really matter to them is your own well being and making sure you have everyone opportunity to move farther in life.

If your parent are going to be the one paying for the bag then your best bet is to be honest and if they say no then just save up your money till you can buy it on your own. Plus it always feels good saving up and paying for something you really wanted on your own.

But my parents wouldn't just "poke fun at me". They'd make the rest of my high school years a living hell, and so would every single one of my anti-brony friends! I think I'll just wait until the time is right to tell them, whenever that will be.

Well if they would make your life a living hell then they mustn't be great parents. A good parent would support their child not make their life hell. Would they tell your anti-brony friends? That would be rather immature of them and do any of these friends go to school with you? If so why would you want to get a bag that advertises "Hey, I'm a brony!" Honestly I ignore people who hate on me for being a brony and a lot of my friends do that, but I don't really mind because at the end of the day they're still my friends.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Say its a present for some girl in your class. Then tell them that girl left your school and she told you to keep the bag to remember her. You tell that to your parents, and they won't think you're weird, since you're using it for her. Other than that, I have no idea.

No offense to you, but this idea sounds ridiculous and not even my grandma would fall for that.

I don't see why you even need to tell them at all. If you want to buy the bag then buy it. It's just a bag, I don't see why you would need to ask them for permission. Or do you mean that you're buying it off the internet and they want to know when you buy something online?

As I see it, there's only two opinions that makes sense.

A. You tell your parents that you want to buy a bag. If they ask what bag, you tell them what bag and if they ask why, you tell them why. If your parents freaks out about it you tell them it's just one of your interests and they should not worry about it. As long as they're not doing anything bad about it that affects you other than saying and thinking that you are weird you shouldn't bother.

And if they would try to do something that affects you, you would probably find a way to make them stop and calm down eventually.

B. Don't buy the bag. It's just merchandise, it's nothing important. Just something you'd buy for fun.

Edited by Jokuc

I was honest with my parents and they're perfectly fine with it! My mom's even watched the show with me and bought me merch for Christmas ^-^ 

Just tell em!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

i would buy it in secret, hide it within a different bag and (goes on elongated plan that makes no sense)

Or you can just slap your friends and yell 'this is (state your country here), I have a right to use this bag.'

Edited by Oireann
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
But my parents wouldn't just "poke fun at me". They'd make the rest of my high school years a living hell, and so would every single one of my anti-brony friends! I think I'll just wait until the time is right to tell them, whenever that will be

youre gonna be wereing a bag that screams to the world that your a brony. it's not like no one would put two and two together with you carrying a bag with twilight on it. it cant make your life a living hell. 

more than it already would be if that were to happen.

i suggest you stop caring so much about what other people think but about what you think

Edited by zlogi

Just tell your parents directly.  If you don't want to do that, I'd say go and buy it with your own money so they don't know about it and keep it somewhere safe in your room.  But I think it would be better to just tell them rather than letting them find out.

Wait, I'm confused. You want to buy a bag with Twilight Sparkle on it. You also don't want to let your parents know. How, exactly, do you plan to have a book bag, then not show it to anyone? The chances of being found out are so incredibly high, especially if you use it for it's intended purpose, that they will still make your life unfortunate, whether you tell them or not.

Work on the assumption that if you have the bag, they will find out. That's the reasonable idea.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, don't lie. It will bite you in the ass one day. You're Dad will respect that you want the bag if you explain to him that you are perfectly secure in your masculinity. Plus, you should remind him even the "manliest of men" have female characters on their items.

Tell him it's like the nose art on planes during WWII (even though I don't think it isn't but I think he would like that interpretation).

WWII%20Red%20Light%20Rose%20plane%201.jp

wichita-witch.jpg

Or you could just tell them the truth, "I'm a brony deal with it.. I'm happy the way I'm and its MY life". As for your mother and father well they should support you in being a brony you are there son and should love you no matter what.